Search results

1. kjchronister

Recommendations for Styrene Adhesive

I'm about to embark on my first-ever kitbashing project. Not been entirely happy with the 'plastic cement' I've used in the past. Wonder what others recommend?
  2. kjchronister

Downsides of a 1-year hiatus, Benefits of Ballasting

So, about a year ago I started my own business and subsequently took an unintended year off from model railroading and this forum... I don't recommend it, but being my own boss is worth it. Point is a friend at my MRR club started giving me grief about not showing up. So I came to an ops...
  3. kjchronister

Stumps

Anyone have suggestions for modeling a good number of stumps? I have a section of the layout that represents a "logged out" area. My initial efforts (dowels, twig bits, 'merge point' from small branches of yard trees) have proved far too labor intensive to produce good results in quantity...
  4. kjchronister

Ebay buy going back. Hate it when that happens. Ruint my day.

So a loco I ordered on ebay showed up today, early as ETA was Monday. Yay! It was to be "like new in box, barely used, runs great backwards and forwards" graded as c-8, 'like new'. Hmmm. Better description would have been "dropped this, banged up the valve gear on one side, tried to fix it...
  5. kjchronister

Custom decals

Had anyone tried the laser printer decal paper? Decalpaper.com? Another source? Alternately had anyone ordered custom-made decals from a source they'd like to recommend? I've got a few unlettered locos that its time to "claim"
  6. kjchronister

Sound decoders for steam. Suggestions for 2-8-8-2, 4-8-2 heavy, general latest news

All the threads I can find on steam decoders and especially on articulated are a bit dated (noting that the forum search function aint so great and im using google as proxy)... The last sound decoder I Bought was in 2005. An mrc. Meh. It works is about all I can say. Since then, I had a 7 year...
  7. kjchronister

Help! Tell me no!

Oh! Want! I got the "just one more loco" Jonesing on. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=381020440547&alt=web I don't need it. Just got a sweet little 2-6-6-2 logger even. But I've never even seen a mini - mallet like this before. Of course I'd have to remotor it with a can, add a...
  8. kjchronister

Clueless Ebay Seller. Maybe some deals to be had. But mostly sad

So I happened across an auction on Ebay. The fellow mentioned he was liquidating an estate, so I took a look at all his auctions. He's not got a clue. Has some good stuff. But, for example, no concept that tenders and locos go together. So he's selling a bunch of locos with no tender, while the...
  9. kjchronister

Heritage 2-8-8-2 drawbar replacement

Anyone have any ideas for where to get a replacement drawbar for a heritage 2-8-8-2? Walthers doesn't seem to have them, and attempts to repair have proved fruitless...
  10. kjchronister

Heritage 2-8-8-2 what to do. I'm at a loss

So my beloved heritage 2882 is toast. Sounds work. Lights work. No motion. I've swapped in known - good decoders and no difference. It's not the decoder. I put in a dc blanking plate, same: no go. I used wires from a dc power supply direct to the motor terminals and it ran like a champ...
  11. kjchronister

Are manufacturers and retailers allowed to post?

I'm just curious. We talk about bachmann or mth, we talk about retailers we like and don't, we complain about things... but I never see any if these folks post to help, thank, reply, etc. Are they unwelcome? Are they just none willing to participate? Have they participated before and got...
  12. kjchronister

Mth passenger car saga

So a few days ago, my set of 5 nyc 20th century limited cars arrived: early birthday present. All of them were what I expect from mth visually: accurate, detailed, great interiors, lighted, etc. 4 of the 5 were good operationally too. But the diner was awful. Uncoupled constantly...
  13. kjchronister

Nice cases from displaygifts.

About 3/4 of the roster fits on the layout in staging/storage. But not all. For the rest, I bought cases from displaygifts on ebay. They came today and pleasantly surprised. Nice oak, felt liner, latching door with acrylic 'glass'. $80... probably couldn't even buy the materials at...
  14. kjchronister

bachmann 3 truck shay: fix it, replace it, fuhgeddaboutit?

So, I've figured out why my spectrum ho three-truck shay won't even haul itself along a flat, much less a grade with cars: The little crown gears are all cracked, stripped and otherwise broken off the drive shaft. It had one left that was actually doing all the work. Judging by the fact I see...
  15. kjchronister

Ho and oo compatibility.

Been reading up on these two scales, as I'd like to host some brit steam on my layout. They're the same, but not quite, is the gist of what I read. Does anyone here have practical experience running oo equipment, specifically Hornby, on ho layouts?
  16. kjchronister

Track work acid test

Okay, it's time to really see if the track is bulletproof... two trains running, one mainline, one branchline. I'm on the back porch. Nobody watching. 15 minutes. We'll go see if they're still going... i watched em for 30 mins before I left, so no reason they shouldn't be fine. But you...
  17. kjchronister

MR and Pelle, Sittin' in a tree...

Seriously. Am I the only one that things Model Railroader and Pelle Soeborg are having a romantic interlude here? Yes, the guy is an accomplished modeler. But he's not God. His scenery is very good. His weathering... a bit ham-handed, IMHO. My face lit up when this month's MR arrived today...
  18. kjchronister

DOA Heritage 2-8-8-2

Urgh. Somehow managed to kill my proto heritage 2-8-8-2. Something loose/wrong with the motor connection somewhere. I get sound and all, just no motion. Even swapped decoders, so I know it's not the decoder, but rather some physical connection. I fear the micro-connector between tender and...
  19. kjchronister

Bringing a Spectrum K4 back from the dead.

Posting this mostly to give props to Bachmann for having every last little part available for their locos. One of my Spectrum K4s had an unfortunate encounter with the floor a while back. I wrapped him up and put him away, but now am bringing him back to life. The floor killed his cowcatcher...
  20. kjchronister

MTH HO Challengers for $399 at Trainworld

It really is an extremely good price for them... UP, Clinchfield, Rio Grande. I'd be nabbing one myself, but my wallet has been wimpering lately as it is... Kris

Back