Bringing a Spectrum K4 back from the dead.

Posting this mostly to give props to Bachmann for having every last little part available for their locos.

One of my Spectrum K4s had an unfortunate encounter with the floor a while back. I wrapped him up and put him away, but now am bringing him back to life. The floor killed his cowcatcher and the drawbar. The front I was able to carefully glue back. But the drawbar was toast. $3 later, I've got a new one on the way from Bachmann.

I've found the Spectrum line to be a bit mixed. But the K4 is a great loco (I'll give props to the heavy and light 4-8-2 mountains and the 3-truck shay as well. The 44-ton switcher and the doodlebug... Not so much).

In any case I'll be glad to see it back in action. Its road number is 3750 - one of the two 'survivors' that lives on at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania. Maybe one day the real one will be back in steam... Though the other survivor - 1361 - is the one with some efforts going on to bring it back. Sigh.

Ya Bachmann is great for still having parts available. They are the only modelrailroad manufacturer that does that. And they keep selling the same locomotives, year after year. Non of this "one time run only" exclusive BS that all the other companies do. No idea why they do that.

Make sure you show us some pics when you get the k4 repaired.

I have one that I bought used. The PC board was shot and actually burned up. Forum members here suggested rewiring it to remove the PC board. I went ahead with the suggestion and it worked just fine. Thanks guys!

Bachman's little ALCO Switcher for under 100 bucks with sound and DCC is a real bargain. Add some of the missing details and it's a good loco.

Same with their GP7 I recently bought through Trainworld. That one I added my own sound card (LokSound). Great running diesel. Again, just add the missing grab irons and other parts peculiar to your favorite railroad/era and it can be a 'stand-out' model.

Back