MTH HO Challengers for $399 at Trainworld

It really is an extremely good price for them... UP, Clinchfield, Rio Grande.

I'd be nabbing one myself, but my wallet has been wimpering lately as it is...

Kris

MB Klein had a $700 Lionel Legacy locomotive set for $449.99. I hesitated because of the crying coming from my wallet and missed it! Now I am crying!

Congratulations on your purchase by the way, all the envy had me lose my manors for a minute.

Kris,

This years run of the MTH HO Challengers and Big Boys have been rough for MTH. All kinds of problems from running quality, paint, details, etc. Their first run a few years ago was much better.

So I stayed away from buying one, and ended up getting the Athearn Genesis Challenger, and I'm very happy with it. Runs smooth as butter, no problems at all. And it looks outstanding. High quality paint, etc.

Motley, well. .. that makes me feel better about not getting it!

Louis, no I don't have dcs. I run mth on regular dcc. Really doesn't make a big impact for me. Addressing a loco initially is different, but after that runs like about any other. The few things you can't access without dcs aren't important to me anyway... honestly not even sure what they are.

Yep, I have the first run of the MTH Challanger and I also have 4 SD70Aces, and they all run and sound great, no problems at all. The Aces are my best pullers. My best description of them is "clydsdales on steroids". LOL

I don't know what they did but this year on their Challengers and Big Boys, but it looks like they try to cheap out and save money, while charging a higher price. And a lot of people noticed this and are not buying them.

I agree with you too, I dont have MTH DCS system and I don't miss any functions or anything.

Dreyfuss 20th century limited is my only MTH thus far, but very pleased with it indeed, and certainly will add more to the roster as relevant ones come alone.

One reason I passed on the Challenger - other than wallet-pain - is that it's not really relevant for me: I model 1930's PRR... I make an exception for any streamlined steam, just because I love that stuff. A Hiawatha is on the wish-list, e.g.

Back