Ebay buy going back. Hate it when that happens. Ruint my day.

So a loco I ordered on ebay showed up today, early as ETA was Monday. Yay!

It was to be "like new in box, barely used, runs great backwards and forwards" graded as c-8, 'like new'.

Hmmm.

Better description would have been "dropped this, banged up the valve gear on one side, tried to fix it by applying about a quart of grease, front engine valve gear (it's a duplex) is so bound up it would stall the motor and won't go at all on a curve, but i removed the linkage to the front engine, so it will technically go forwards and backwards using only the rear wheels, so long as your on dead-straight track. Thank goodness I have the box, I can try to dump it on ebay and hope someone doesn't know any better/can't be bothered to return."

Going right back. Pretty po'd. I got no problem buying a busted/parts loco for the relevant price. I'm also pretty understanding when uninformed sellers might miss something, which is usually apparent and you can bid appropriately. But this was blatantly 1st degree misrepresentation as like new with clear attempt to conceal damage.

We'll see the reply. MAYBE this is just someone buying and selling and they said "looks good to me", ran itup and down a straight track a couple times and listed it. But they sell train stuff regularly, so I'm not feeling good about the 'honest mistake' theory. OTOH, they have pretty good feedback.

Costs me return postage regardless.

But I was so looking forward to a nice new toy!

Last edited by a moderator:
That stinks. It happened to me a couple of times if you dont hear from the seller in 24 hrs. open a case with ebay. It should not cost you a penny to return.

Honesty compels me to admit my ebay purchases have been 99% good. But that still doesn't make me inclined to stick up a bad one! I run an online retailer myself, and I know we'd bend over backward to make an unhappy customer feel totally satisfied. Hope that's the case here.

The way Ebay handles a situation like this it almost forces the seller to make good.Ebay very rarely sides with the seller.

As a seller, that's my experience too. The very few returns I ever had (well under 1pct) were basically buyers remorse, but ebay insisted. This will be my first ever return as a buyer.

Sounds like you bought from the same individual as Terry. Hope you took detailed photos to support any action.

That really sucks. A few years ago I bought an Athearn Blue box SW7 on Ebay listed as in near new condition. It literally fell apart when I took it out of the box. I didn't think a model could get that worn out. Seller wouldn't take it back and I put in a complaint with Ebay. They did nothing for me at all. I finally gave up on both the seller and Ebay. Never purchased another thing until recently.

A couple years ago, I won an auction for a dozen Rock Island boxcars. The pictures were blurry, but the price was right and description stated they were all in excellent condition.

First cue something was wrong, the box weighed a ton and gravel spilled out when I opened it. Turned out every car was weighted with loose ballast.... yes, I'm talking about the woodland scenics coarse light grey ballast. Each car must have weighed a pound. I didn't gave a use for the ballast but I saved as much as I could.

Most if the cars had glue smeared on the sides and many steps and ladders broken off. I saved 7 of the 12, the other five weren't salvageable.

I didn't pursue a return, I paid what they ended up being worth and I bid on an item with poor pictures.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Well the seller/listing day 14 day returns and I requested the return within <an hour of when usps.com marked it delivered... so hopefully it will go smoothly. It will be interesting to see if/when it's reposted and how.

G'day KJ , So sorry to read this in your regard.. You pay in good faith and expect that item description matches in good faith when it arrives. Sadly , been there myself twice , once with a locomotive , and the other time was some absolute rubbish flatcars.. Ther loco wouldn't run at all..not a peep out of it and swore I'd never buy another second hand one although I actually did , an MTH SD70 and a Kato SD40...Took a while with the MTH , was a programming matter , not the condition of the loco , It was as new.. and the Kato was fine... I have also bid on a couple of others fairly recently but missed both... Mostly brand new..now though... The rolling stock was listed as Used but as new.. I opened up the box with four flatcars to find only one was completely intact , two others had different wheelsets on either end and the the other one was missing both couplers but I did find them in the packaging material...Should have done what you did but didn't. Thankfully all purchases were low prices..except for the MTH loco..If I hadn't got it going I would have probably sent it back..I hope your seller helps out as he should...Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I buy on eBay is when I can find no other source. And when I do I mentally prepare to be disappointed.

However for the very few things I have purchased they have been as advertised.

Sorry for your problem - hope all goes well with the return.

The only time I buy on eBay is when I can find no other source. And when I do I mentally prepare to be disappointed.

However for the very few things I have purchased they have been as advertised.

Sorry for your problem - hope all goes well with the return.

fcwilt, same here. I did get the runaround by one seller but they seemed genuinely concerned about my opening a case w/ ebay. I had "Buy Now" about 15 items for approx. $5 ea. and one wasn't shipped. It was a "shipped from China" seller.

A few years ago I made a Craigs List purchase of a few boxes of N-scale stuff and it felt like a drug deal at a Burger King parking lot. I checked the stuff out, packed it back up, and put it into storage...just located them yesterday.

I think I'll stick to my LHS, Amazon, or yard sales for anything w/ moving parts or electronics.

Back