Sound decoders for steam. Suggestions for 2-8-8-2, 4-8-2 heavy, general latest news

All the threads I can find on steam decoders and especially on articulated are a bit dated (noting that the forum search function aint so great and im using google as proxy)...

The last sound decoder I Bought was in 2005. An mrc. Meh. It works is about all I can say. Since then, I had a 7 year hiatus from the hobby, and more recently returned, but all my recent loco purchases have had sound on board.

But its time to get actual articulated sound in my favorite loco, my proto heritage 2882, plus equip a couple others like my spectrum heavy mountain. Not even gonna try the 2 truck heisler!

So id love suggestions generally. Is tsunami still king of the hill? Did qsi stage a comeback with the titan? Is it worth going down the loksound path? Does anyone make plugnplay setups with the nmra pin, speaker, etc all together? All the plug adapters and speaker optiins and enclosures are making my head spin. Tonystrains hasnt updated their decoder comparison since 2008.

I know a thing or four about it, know my way around a multimeter, circuit board, and not shy about opening up the loco. Just outta date and cant find a good "heres the deal as of 2014" resource.

Back