DOA Heritage 2-8-8-2

Urgh. Somehow managed to kill my proto heritage 2-8-8-2.

Something loose/wrong with the motor connection somewhere. I get sound and all, just no motion. Even swapped decoders, so I know it's not the decoder, but rather some physical connection. I fear the micro-connector between tender and loco.

But anyone have suggestions for what to test/try? I don't even quite know where to begin.

I hate to be the bearer of possible bad news but it is quite possible to fry the motor driver section of a decoder and still get sound. Without knowing your skill level I find it hard to advise you. I would remove the tender and boiler shells, inspect the decoder wrap for burned spots, inspect all connections in the tender and loco, and then bypass the plug for the motor wires. That will tell you if you have a plug problem if a visual inspection doesn't. You can usually see broken wires on those spectrum plugs.

Thanks espeefan. I did swap in a known-good decoder and got same results. So now it's down to other factors. No obvious issues on the connectors. I guess I'll try hardwiring the motor connectors next.

Back