Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good late evening.

I finally had a chance to check the rain gauge earlier to get the total for the last five days I believe it was(?), with very heavy last night and fairly heavy today. It came to 4.9 inches bringing the season total to 12.36 inches. I just went outside and it's raining again but not hard.
E
Now, on top of all of this the drain line from my toilet seems to be plugged up somehow and I don't put paper down so I guess the ground is saturated but not spongy to walk on. Well, the weather app gave it a 47% chance raining and it is not need any more.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Chet I really liked that/this locomotive!
1547802849126.png

Milwaukee Road , No.100 , class F-7 , 4-6-4 , Schenectady 1938 …. at Chicago in 1938 … H. K. Vollrath collection … SLP library photo.

1547803017539.png

CGW TR2AB 60 cow and calf at Des Moines, IA in February 1959. Ronald D. Sims photo, Walt Dunlap collection

1547803286870.png

LV Alco C420 #411 leads EMD GP38-2's 324, 319 and 321 on westbound JB-3 as it hits the Reading Company Diamonds at Port Reading Jct., Manville, NJ 3/29/1975

1547803525538.png

Light St...(Baltimore, MD)1945..Notice the sign in the lower left about the Captured German Submarine with the swastika. That submarine was U-505. U-505 was built for Germany's Kriegsmarine during World War II. She was captured by the U.S. Navy on 4 June 1944. It was one of six U-boats that were captured by Allied forces during World War II, and was captured by United States Navy Task Group 22.3. All but one of U-505's crew were rescued by the Navy task group. The submarine was towed to Bermuda in secret and her crew was interned at a US prisoner-of-war camp where they were denied access to International Red Cross visits. The Navy classified the capture as top secret and prevented its discovery by the Germans. Her codebooks, Enigma machine, and other secret materials found on board helped the Allied codebreakers. U-505 was kept at the navy base in Bermuda and intensively studied by US Navy intelligence and engineering officers. Some of what was learned was included in postwar diesel submarine designs. To maintain the illusion that she had been sunk rather than captured, U-505 was painted to look like a US submarine and renamed as the USS Nemo as not to alert German intelligence that it had been captured.

At the end of the war in Europe, U-505 was used to promote E War Bond sales as part of the "Mighty 7th" War Loan drive. Anyone who purchased a bond could also purchase a ticket to board her and inspect all parts of the boat. In June, 1945, U-505 made appearances in New York City, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. In 1954, U-505 was donated to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, Illinois. She is now one of four German World War II U-boats that survive as museum ships Jimbo Woodrow Buckler - ‎BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS

1547805268313.png

1547805288791.png

On this date in 1977 - The Kansas City Royals released veteran outfielder Tommy Davis, ending his 18-year career.
Davis took the National League in 1962 batting crown (.346), and topped the league with 153 RBI.
He won another batting title in 1963, leading the Dodgers to a World Championship.
1970s Baseball

Good morning Everybody!

We had 2" of snow over night, but it's a perfect snow, if there is such a thing.

No accumulation on paved surfaces and it brushed right off our vehicles, It looks pretty.

It's 32 right now and Baltimore City schools are opening 2 hours late as are most of the Baltimore metro area schools.

Louis: As a student of fire suppression, I have long had an interest in the Great Baltimore Fire, and how it became a fire storm. The photos are a reminder of what can happen when things go wrong. As events in California this past year have proven, we are not immune from reoccurrences of similar tragedies. Thank you for uploading the photos.

Boris
Despite all of our technology we still can't contain Mother Nature and to be perfectly honest, I think we have pissed her off!

1547812081857.png

Here is one from across the pond. I think I know where the idea for Thomas the Tank Engine came from.

1547813022006.png

Willie, you don't know what you are missing.

The quarter pounder use to be my favorite hamburger, but now I prefer a whopper.

I never use to like beef hotdogs, but now I love them.

I don't know what any of that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back