Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD MORNING. it's cloudy and 31.
Maybe if I say it in ALL CAPS it will happen. Hey, while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.
Several of us (at home, work, and some of my online friends) are suffering from a glitch in our phones. We keep getting a severe weather alert for a Winter Storm Warning for this weekend, but when we check the alert, there isn't one. And it's supposed to rain Saturday night.

1547814809222.png

this is why I liked going to the White Coffee Pot

Good morning everyone. 38 degrees and drizzly out there.

Sorry I've missed the forum most of this week. It's been a whirlwind week for my wife and me. We flew to Chicago Monday afternoon because we wanted to go to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) hospital in Zion, north of Chicago. We wanted a second opinion on her post-op treatment. And man are we glad we went there. That is the most amazing hospital I have ever seen. If you're not familiar with CTCA, check them out. Long story short, after three days of tests and meetings with doctors and staff, the news is very good - - she will not need a hormone blocker, the course of radiation will only be 4 weeks rather than 5-6, and based on family history and various testing her chances of getting cancer again are very low and so are our daughter's. They did a simulation radiation treatment on the most modern equipment in the world, so she sill have the best machine and the best doctors working on her. So last night I flew back to Springfield and left my sweetheart of 44 years there in a really nice hotel suite (completely paid for by CTCA) and she begins radiation on Monday.

So I'm"batching" it for a few weeks. I'll go back up there once or twice just to be with her, since CTCA pays for our flights. Pray for me - - peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and tomato soup are gonna get old real soon ;) More importantly, keep her in your prayers.

I'll probably stay up til midnight tonight catching up in the train room and the modeling workbench.o_O

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning, y'all and Happy Friday. 31° with light snowfall. A repeat of Snowmagedon 1, with less than a quarter inch of snow coating the ground. Hopefully when the temperature rises, later today it will all become a memory, otherwise, I need to sweep the driveway :confused::rolleyes::eek:

Louis: The C&O Streamlined Hudsons were built for sections of the Chessie train that never got off the ground. The main propulsion was to be one of three coal burning steam turbine locomotives, that were operational failures. The Hudsons were for the connections such as Newport News to Charlottesville. The Reading streamlined Pacifics were for the Crusader. There were two of them, to protect the Crusader, a streamliner, used in service between Philadelphia and Jersey City over the Reading and CNJ. These steamers ran as pictured from 1937 until 1948, when they were replaced by class G3 Pacifics built new in 1948. The G3s were replaced by FP7 diesels in 1952. The Crusader made two round trips M-F, and one trip on Saturday. In 1948, a companion streamliner, rebuilt from heavyweight commuter cars, called the Wall Street was introduced.

Your photo of a table at the "White Coffee Pot" brings back memories of working Night Trainmaster at Bay View hump, in 1973, during my first Baltimore tour. ;)

Boris

Last edited:
That is great news Johnny!

Godspeed in your journeys and look in the freezer section of your local grocery store, you will be surprised by what you will find.

Johnny: Hopefully, this course of treatment will be the best for your wife. I have seen CTCA commercials on TV. Your description of what they offer was informative. You, of course, do realize that your microwave is your friend. There are numerous meals for one, that will prevent peanut butter sandwich overdose. Seriously, I am praying for both of y'all and join you in hoping for the best outcome. Sounds like state of the art treatment.

Boris

Good Morning All. 39° and foggy. Made it up to 65° yesterday, could reach 70° today. Tomorrow's high is forecast to be 40°, then normal winter weather for 8+ days. That is highs between 50° and 63° depending on the wind direction and lows a bit above freezing most nights.

Out in the train shed yesterday, the primary project was disassembly and new lubrication of the other Kato GP35 on the workbench. Still haven't figured out the truck disassembly without probable breakage, but I think that I got all of the gears taken care of. Kato's website is not specific enough about removing the bottom of the gear case which then releases the sideframes.
Mostly I spent the afternoon switching some industries in my town of Gainesville. Drywell inks got a loaded tanker of ink, R.J. Frost got two loaded reefers of frozen food, Hillside Lumber received a loaded flatcar of lumber, and several as yet unnamed industries got boxcars changed out. A second run to that city was sixteen empty grain hoppers for the ADM grain elevator, where sixteen full ones were pulled. I also reviewed the supply of unbuilt structures on the shelf to see which one I will tackle next. No decisions yet.

Garry - The Kato engines that I am working on are real reliable, I didn't mean to infer otherwise. It's just that they were beginning to run sluggishly after twenty years and I realized that I had never relubricated them in the entire time that I ran them. I did find a loose wire in one of them that could have also contributed to the sluggishness.
Greg - I like yesterday's picture. You add the type of details that I try for as well.
Dave - As others have already posted, I use #6's on main lines and #4's in some yard situations and industrial trackage. I admit to also using some snap switches in some locations where they will work, because I never throw anything away!;) I don't own any steam power, but all of my six axle diesels work fine over all of the Custom Line switches.
Curt - The build continues to look good.
David - Good luck with the toilet drain.
Johnny - Prayers for your wife continue. Yes, the grocery store has quite a bit of stuff pre-prepared if you look in the right place.

Well, the circus in Washington has spread across the pond, interesting to watch both.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 23 degrees to start off the day. The winter weather advisory we got for yesterday fizzled out with a forecast of 2 to 4 inches of snow. Got one flurry and it was not enough to cover the grass.

Louis - Another streamlined locomotive for the Hiawatha. Nice photo. Also like the shot of the C&O Streamlined locomotive, and the Reading F unit. Those British diesels sure are homely looking. Keep the pictures coming.

Johnny - The trip to the cancer center was well worth the trip. Hope everything goes well.

David - You and Sherrel may need a boat to get around with all the rain the west coast is getting.

Joe - I sure enjoy your input in the forum with your knowledge of the railroad on the east coast. Much appreciated.

Willie - Sounds like you were busy out in the train shed doing what I like best, switching.

Here's a video I came across of a railroad I have ridden on a number of times. Back in the 60's fir some reason I bought some stock in the Durango & Silverton as they were trying to raise money for the railroad. I had a few bucks to spare, so what the hack. In the late 70's we got a letter from them wanting to know if we wanted to collect a dividend or put the funds back into the railroad. I had totally forgotten that I had bought the stock.

We have gone ther probably a dozen times to ride the train, but always in the summer and it is interesting to see it operating in the winter. I love the way the engineer quills the whistle at the crossing. Can't do that with DCC. I could get close years ago when I was using a PFM sound system.

Enjoy.

Here's my rail picture for the day. A Trio of Little Joes about to enter the Avery, ID yard, which is at the west end of the Milwaukee Road Mountain Electrified division. Made it her a few times when I was a kid. One heck of a ride from Deer Lodge, MT to Avery, ID.

Into Avery, ID.jpg

Later

YAY - The sun is trying to peek through in a few places. We need a day or two to dry out!
It looks as if my "bucket" has 1.5 inches - I sure wish I had kept up with the total since the start of our rainy season in October.
The temp is supposed to reach 65 today and 73-75 for Sat and Sun.

Johnny and Garry - Best wishes, thoughts, and prayers for everyone there dealing with medical issues. Pretty fancy place there Johnny - Not sure how that "paid transportation" works - never heard of that?

Louis - Like the photos but, As much as I like steam - I just really never cared for the streamlined locomotives. Don't really have a reason other than I just like the Plain-Jane, brutish approach of a non-streamlined loco.
Speaking of locos - I hate to put down our former Countrymen, but I have never seen a good looking British airplane or locomotive. They all look as if they were assembled from left over parts, or just almost finished - just plain weird. I don't mean any disrespect, its just my own preference and thoughts. The Spitfire and Hurricane are exceptions!

CHET - That's a great video of the D&S. Did they turn the train somewhere ... I do not think they would have run all the way to Silverton in the winter?
Nice pic of the Little Joe's too!

Sherrel - I have no idea if they ran all of the way to Silverton or backed the train back to Durango. There is a loop in Durango as well as their shops and a turntable, so turning a train there would be no problem. Up in Silverton, there is a wye to turn the locomotive, but not the entire train as long as it was in the video. They could turn it in sections there. There are also a couple of wyes along the route up to Silverton.

Afternoon All,

We didn't have to take grandson to Ortho this morning because Dad got off work. Grandson is now a proud owner of a cast. I spent about 3 hours only working on the corrugated wall material that goes on the exterior of the fiberboard walls. I started out spraying the 6 sheets completely in light gray rattle can, then lightly sprayed warm caramel rattle can, then dry sponged Burnt Umber, Rust, Teddy Bear (yellowish), and white.

There were 6 sheets 8.5 x 2 inches in size that after painting were cut to 3/8 x 1 inch pieces. Thank goodness for the Chopper that I have!

Chet- Yes I did leave a tip-Look both ways before crossing the street:D. Cool picture and video.

Sherrel- It's a shame CA couldn't of got that rain during the fires.

Louis- Great photos. Years ago I read a book about the capture of the U-505. It was written by retired Adm Daniel Gallery if I remember correctly. Interesting fire video.

Johnny- I wish your wife and family all the best.

Willie- Thank you.

20190118_140530-2016x980.jpg

20190118_140626-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon gang!

Today has been the loooooooooooooooogest day ! Work is just dragging on and on! I wanna go home!

Speaking of home,,, GF caught me at the workbench last week,,

mad scientist.jpg

About the Durango & Silverton, I should be there in October. GF has decided that it will be one of the stops on our Southwest honeymoon tour! I swear on a stack of Bibles, it was HER idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back