Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen
I have about 20 used L & R #4 Atlas turnouts. Could one of ya'll give me the good, bad & ugly about the use of #4 rather than 5s or 6s? I don't plan on running anything longer than a 4-8-4 or SD70s.
Dave in PV
Dave: If they are Atlas Custom Line, they are really #4½ switches, with an equivalent curve radius of 22". I have one on my layout, right now, and I have run SD45s and SD40s over the switch without problem. Same goes for Bowser AS616 and 60' flats. Actual frog sizes do not translate well into model railroads, so Your experience may differ. But I would at least try them with the locomotives you plan on running them on. I know that the Atlas Custom Line #4 will tolerate more than a Shinohara #4, which is a pure #4.

Boris

Gentlemen
I have about 20 used L & R #4 Atlas turnouts. Could one of ya'll give me the good, bad & ugly about the use of #4 rather than 5s or 6s? I don't plan on running anything longer than a 4-8-4 or SD70s.
Dave in PV
Any turnouts off of the main line I would suggest using a #6, if possible. The majority of my diesels have 2 axle trucks, but I do have a couple of SD-9's and an Atlas RSD 4/5 with three axle trucks that go over my hand laid and Shinohara #4 turnouts with no problems. If yiu have your flex track, maybe you can put some track together with some turnout and see how they negotiate the turnouts.

Greg - I believe that you mentioned that for the most part, your layout is pretty flat. The little 70 tonner can handle six cars on my two and a half percent grades. It also had no problems moving a dozen or so cars in the yards.

On my layout I used mostly #6 turnouts on the mainline and in the Saxeville Interchange. But, I have several #4 turnouts in a small yard, but the yard lead has locomotives restricted to 4 axle locomotives. Stay with #6 turnouts where possible.

There's some excellent advice above from Boris and Chet.

Thanks.

Greg

Thanks, IronHorseman, Boris , Chet & Greg.
3 left & 1 right are customlines & the rest are snaps with 1 lionel & Cassaro?. The difference with the customlines are obvious when looking at them. Some are pretty old. I'll build a test section before I go much further. I see some new turnouts in the future, at least 2 right & left #6s for the mainline.
Thanks again.
Dave

Dave: While many modelers have used Atlas "Snap" switches (turnouts) I would strongly recommend not using them in a permanet layout. As you already noticed the difference between the Custom Line turnouts and the Snap. The CustomLine turnouts will out perform and last much longer than the Snap turnouts.

Afternoon All,

I was supposed to go up and see Jon and Phil this morning but Jon postponed until next week so I had to do some modeling!:) Today I dry fit the fiberboard walls, then painted the inside flat black. After that I attached 2x10's (pre soaked with A&I) on the appropriate fiber walls and finally applied Folk Art Driftwood color pickling wash.

Tomorrow morning we have to take youngest grandson to the Ortho doctor for a cast since the swelling has subsided from the 2 fractures in his left hand.

Greg- Thank you. I actually had to look up what a Farrier was (not a country boy)! I use Scotch Permanent Double Sided Tape. It's thin like regular scotch tape. I lay it on the back of the sign after using a cheapo nail file to thin the paper and to start weathering the sign. Once I have the sign positioned like I want I rub a fingernail along the wood ridges from bottom to top. That helps make it look like it's actually painted on.

Garry- Thank you and safe travels tomorrow.

Terry- What kind of car did you get.

Willie- Thank you.

Louis- I really like the pictures of the steamer on the viaduct and the B&W city street.

20190117_110627-2016x980.jpg

20190117_110413-2016x980.jpg

20190117_134810-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet: Your 70 Tonner locomotive is safe....I ordered one. But, then again I might want to do a consist......

Greg
Almost all, if not all 44 and 70 tonners were not set up to MU. You'd need to hire two engine crews, and youmight as well make two trips with one.

LOUIS -- EKK!
California would be having a kanipshion over that polution !!
Beautiful photo though.

Sherrel is there anything California does not have a fit over? It seems to me California is; extreme right vs. extreme left and everybody else is caught in the crossfire.

Curt - It was a 4-4-2 Atlantic as well!

Help me - I'm drowning!
Pretty much rained off n on all day.
Saw on the tele that Lake Arrowhead got 6.75 inches in a 36 hour period.

While many modelers have used Atlas "Snap" switches (turnouts) I would strongly recommend not using them in a permanet layout.

Greg: Again, it depends on the application. once the trackage leaves the main line, pretty much use what will fit. Atlas makes two sizes of Snap Switches, one designed to fit into an 18" radius curve, another designed to fit in with a 22" radius curve. The newer versions have insulated frogs similar to the custom line switch and are equally durable. In a prototype modeling application, they work well as leads off the main for 90° curves, such as found in industrial parks. Atlas #4s will also work in these applications but use more space. I would never consider using them for main line crossovers or in passenger or intermodal terminals. You would be surprised what tracks around tight frogs and curves on prototype rails, but wouldn't stand a chance of working on a model railroad. When it comes to track, prototype doesn't scale down as well as other elements.

For the record, My main line switches are all #6 Micro Engineering, mostly with code 70 rail. Same for my yard and connecting tracks. For staging, I use either a #6 or a #5, while sidings off of industrial leads range from #6 to #4. Everything I have, including passenger cars and 75' Intermodal flats work well on #6 switches. My son has actually incorporated "Snap Switches" into his layout in places where they are a better fit, than a #4 or #5, and for those applications they work well.

Each application is unique, and the modeler has to decide what he wants and how it will work. There are guidelines, but as I said before, your experiences may vary.

Boris

Louis: As a student of fire suppression, I have long had an interest in the Great Baltimore Fire, and how it became a fire storm. The photos are a reminder of what can happen when things go wrong. As events in California this past year have proven, we are not immune from reoccurrences of similar tragedies. Thank you for uploading the photos.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back