Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all,

Cloudy, foggy, and some drizzle this morning with temps in the mid 20s. Almost a copy of yesterday. This is pretty much it for a while. The bottom is going to drop, and get much colder.

Have a great day,

Louis, I remember those black CSX SD40s were only painted that way for a very short time, like maybe a month, and I've been told none ever saw regular active service before they were sent off for rebuilding. Of course, Athearn made several numbers of that scheme.

Louis, I remember those black CSX SD40s were only painted that way for a very short time, like maybe a month, and I've been told none ever saw regular active service before they were sent off for rebuilding. Of course, Athearn made several numbers of that scheme.
Thanks Terry, I was very curious about that. I had never seen one before finding that picture this morning.

I noticed the number board is different from the number on the side of the cab, I wonder why?

Good morning, 23° and sunny.

Garry: Hope all goes well for your MIL. Safe travel to and from Nashville.

Louis: The photos of the aftermath of the Baltimore Fire are awesome.

Justin: Likewise, with the Chessie photos from Coal Country.

Terry: Resolving your wife's car issues is great news. Getting a break on the rate is also great news.

I noticed the number board is different from the number on the side of the cab, I wonder why?

Louis: Most likely, they were renumbered pending rebuilding, and because they were out of service, there was no compelling need to change the number board, until they were ready for service.

Terry: As you know, manufacturers are like that. The odd lots and one timers appeal to collectors, so manufacturers do a disproportionate number of one of a kind schemes compared to fleet schemes and types. While, I would ignore a PRR Alco RS3 "Hammerhead", because it was a unique unit, based at Northumberland, and not similar to any of the numerous PRR RS3s based on the Eastern Region, other PRR followers are patiently waiting for Bowser or someone else to announce one.

Snowmageddon 2 is forecast for tonight into tomorrow. Snowmageddon 3, for Saturday into Sunday.

Boris

Good very wet morning, I just had a Snarly Gaster come through and dump a considerable amount of rain ! Unfortunately I didn't get the leak in my bedroom ceiling fixed wright so I caught a considerable amount of water. Better to have left the plastic gallon pails in place. Well its definitely let up thank goodness so now I can get some sleep.

Good Morning All. I'm showing 54° and mostly cloudy, Weather Underground station 1.5 miles away is showing 49° and clear. Made it up to 65° yesterday, not too bad for January 16; forecast is nearly the same for today and tomorrow. Polar vortex hits Saturday although the weather bureau continues to raise their forecast for the low temperature, now at 26°... was forecast in the teens a couple of days ago. Roller coaster temperatures for the next week after that. Grocery/beer trek later this morning, wife has a day off and might go with me, to make sure I get enough "diet food". Visited the garden yesterday, it's still too saturated to till, but I was able to spread around several buckets of wood ashes, a great natural source of potassium and phosphorus. Equivalent commercial fertilizer would be 0-1-3.
Didn't spend much time out in the train shed yesterday. I did partially disassemble one of those Kato GP35's that I took out of service, while I couldn't figure out how to take the trucks apart to thoroughly clean, I was able to partially clean and re-grease most of the gears. I could not budge the sideframes with moderate pressure and didn't want to risk breaking anything. I'll try again on the other one today and maybe something will happen. It does appear that I did once have these two engines apart at one time years ago, as the crew members in one cab were painted and the ones in the other cab were removed. Now I know where those unpainted ones in my miscellaneous figure stash came from. Not related to that, but I spotted a stray brake air reservoir on the back side of the upper level main line yesterday. Good luck finding the car that's missing it! It does appear to be from an MDC Roundhouse car.

Sherrel - You haven't mentioned the dizzy spells in a couple of days. How's that going?
Greg - Another Dust Monkey fan here. I have one on all 18 cabooses.
Most people don't know what a Farrier" is.
Our neighboring farrier makes some really good money. High value SUV's in the driveway along with a nice Mercedes, his work truck is a really nice extended cab pick up pulling a nice looking high priced 18' trailer full of tools and supplies. Of course he sometimes has to make emergency calls at odd hours and he sometimes gets kicked!
Curt - Great work on the farm supply. Good news on the fingers as well.
Louis - Really nice Lincoln that you scored. What scale is it?

Everybody in the north and east, stay safe and warm for the next few days; it doesn't appear that the weather gurus know exactly what is in store.
Today is Michelle Obama's birthday. Among other notable people with birthday's today are: Benjamin Franklin, Al Capone, Betty White and Muhammad Ali.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning gang! 29° and cloudy

Snow flurries expected later, more tonight and overnight

Snowmageddon 2 is forecast for tonight into tomorrow. Snowmageddon 3, for Saturday into Sunday.

Boris

We're only expecting 1-2 inches by Friday pm, rain & slush for Sunday. Frankly I wouldn't mind a foot or so, but its not in the cards.

Louis. Here's Baltimore Transit Co. car 7059 in its 2nd life, alongside Reisterstown Road near McDonough Road as a produce stand. The pic is from some time in the 50's, but I remember passing it weekly with my Dad in the early 70's.
BTC 7059-McDonough Road.jpg

One day I'm gonna model it!

Louis: The photos of the aftermath of the Baltimore Fire are awesome.

Louis: Most likely, they were renumbered pending rebuilding, and because they were out of service, there was no compelling need to change the number board, until they were ready for service.
Boris, I find the 1904 fire fascinating, I'm glad you liked the pictures.

They had me thinking maybe we need controlled fire for parts of Baltimore. Flat grass land would be better than so much urban blight. The people who live in those semi-abandoned neighborhoods are so nice to me as I am delivering, but the blight is so very depressing. I can't imagine how they must feel.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes perfect sense.

Louis - Really nice Lincoln that you scored. What scale is it?
Thanks Willie, it's O scale 1/43 to be exact. The problem with O scale vehicles is they can be 1/43, 1/50 and seldom 1/48. Lionel O scale is 1/48. It's a good thing I am not a rivet counter, they are all toys to me. Speaking of toy cars, that evil Dollar General often has very nice cars and very close to O scale for $4.99! I have bought more than a dozen from those dirty rotten scoundrels. ;)

I should have checked Amazon for the Lincoln, they have the exact same car for $19.99, with free shipping!

Louis. Here's Baltimore Transit Co. car 7059 in its 2nd life, alongside Reisterstown Road near McDonough Road as a produce stand. The pic is from some time in the 50's, but I remember passing it weekly with my Dad in the early 70's. View attachment 33397
One day I'm gonna model it!

Karl, thank you for posting, that thing is too cool! We should post a current photo of that road, it's not like that any more, traffic can be a nightmare there!

Good morning ...

Thanks again, everybody , for the thoughts and prayers regarding Shelley's Mom who is in ICU... We plan to stay home today and go back to Nashville tomorrow. ...

Karl .... I like the old photo of the produce stand made from an old streetcar. .It would be a neat item to model on a model railroad layout.

Mike .... You mentioned colder weather. .... Time to bundle up. ... Must be winter.... We have thoughts of going to northern IL in mid-February, but winter weather makes it doubtful.

Louis .... You post lots of interesting photos .... The 1904 looked horrible.... The photo of B&O 7402 is worth studying by anyone who likes to weather locomotives. .... The B&O 2-8-8-4 was massive.

Willie .... Interested in your comments about the Kat GP35's. I always thought Kato's were very reliable.

Look what I just found and bought from Amazon for $23.99
1547737781894.png

It's also 1/43 scale. When I was relegated to the couch with renal fatigue I found this show Supernatural in rerun on TNT. I enjoyed it so much I have watched all 13 previous seasons and 5 or 6 shows of the current 14th season.

It's a crazy show, but the boys, Sam and Dean remind me of Slim and Jess from the old western Laramie. They always do the right thing and help people regardless of their own personal safety.

Not to mention it's a great car!

That's it for me, time to deliver some packages :) I love working! :)

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning all. Flo, a cup of black coffee and an apple turnover please.

27 degrees with cloudy skies. There is snow in the forecast. Radar shows snow moving in.

Some really great photos this morning. Justin- Nice line up of locomotives. Like the steamers. Louis, that was quite a fire. not much survived looking at the photos. You also had quite a line up of locomotives. Needless to say, the Milwaukee Road box cabs top the list for me.

Greg - The little 70 ton switcher would be perfect for use at the mine. Unfortunately, I'm having too much fun with mine, go find your own. Grin.gif

Terry -
You certainly got a good deal from the bank. Hope your wife enjoys the new wheels.

Karl -
Nice photo of the old transit car. That would be something to model. I used an old Roundhouse baggage car for the office and shop at my salvage yard.

thumbnail_20190113_121040.jpg

Willie - I'm with you and Greg when it comes to dust monkeys. I try to have have on any trains running around the layout. I do have a track cleaning car, but it weighs as much as 2 to 3 freight cars which limits train lengths on the grades unless I put a second locomotive in the train. They do a pretty nice job.

Curt
- The farm supply building is really coming along nicely.

Garry - Prayers for your wifes mother

Here's my rail photo for today.

442-3-1937 Hiawatha.jpg

Hope to get back to the train room today and run trains.

Later

59 degrees and overcast -- here comes another wave .. we are officially waterlogged ---
Laying the keel - starting construction on the ark today!

Terry - congrats on the neused car!

Garry - Wishing your family the best with the MIL.

Yesterday was a longggggg day at the doctors!
MRI of head/brain only shows the previous calcified aneurism - nothing else.
TWO different possible outcomes to the "dizzyiness"
1. Have possible BPV from tiny particles in the inner ear canals.
2. Also may have some circulation problems (maybe?) from the replumbing of the arteries in my neck, but more than likely steming from BP being on the low side when I awake causing vision to "close in" momentairly.
Awaiting results from sonogram - of course I am nearly deaf - didn't need a test to know that!

Good Morning Everyone.........................overcast and seasonally cold. 4-6 inches of snow predicted for Friday night into Saturday...notice I said "predicted". This isn't a major snow storm, but enough snow maybe to cover all the brown grass and help insolate the ground during the colder weather. The Mrs. loves to use the snow blower and shovel snow.

Watched a program this morning on the "Green Cargo" train of Norway which runs basically from the base of Norway through Sweden and back into Norway above the arctic circle. It transports fresh fish from the northern Norway to the southern tip of Norway. The motive power is electric using a catenary system the entire length of the over 1,000 mile run. It uses a lot of electrical power going up the mountains, but the traction motors produce electricity running down the mountain and the electricity produced is put back into the system.

Seven engineers are used for the trip each way to keep their shifts short to maintain their alertness. It was interesting to watch how they deal with the severe cold weather above the arctic circle and the numerous tunnels and snow sheds on the mountainous route.

Work on the layout after lunch. Made a lot of progress yesterday and will finish the mine scenery today.

Garry:
Thanks for noticing the Milwaukee locomotive in the photograph. It's a Life Like with sound and its two speakers make the sound very prototypical. It has a great Mars light.

Louis:
As a fan of weathered locomotives, I like the photograph of The B&O locomotive number 7402. How much of Baltimore was destroyed by the fire?

Chet:
Make sure that the engineer that runs that 70 tonner doesn't leave his keys in the engine. It would be easy to hijack.

Later.......

Greg

#######################

ALCO Pulling Ore Train.JPG

A Milwaukee ALCO pulling an ore train through Rocky Junction.

Cool photo, Greg ...
I like the deer and the railroad "junk" by the ROW. Too many modelers ignore this tidbit!
Come to think of it ... the scenery on your pike is really great all around!

Last edited:
Gentlemen
I have about 20 used L & R #4 Atlas turnouts. Could one of ya'll give me the good, bad & ugly about the use of #4 rather than 5s or 6s? I don't plan on running anything longer than a 4-8-4 or SD70s.
Dave in PV

I have about 20 used L & R #4 Atlas turnouts. Could one of ya'll give me the good, bad & ugly about the use of #4 rather than 5s or 6s? I don't plan on running anything longer than a 4-8-4 or SD70s.
First are you talking about Atlas Custom Line #4s, or are you talking about Atlas Snap Switches? Huge difference. The snap switches are actually closer to a #3.5 frog while the custom lines are closer to a #5 than they are to a #4.

If your equipment will go through 22" radius curves, it will have no trouble with the Custom Line #4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back