Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some more photos from the yard in Rainelle, WV. This location is my old stomping grounds in the southern coalfields.
1656052_424741837628154_1574096250_n.jpg
35505399955_f9878e0cbd_b.jpg
nfg2.jpg

Good Afternoon Everyone.........................still sunny here in Wisconsin as I leave the basement and finally see the sunshine through the windows.

Our new windows seemed to be a bit cold almost like the old "Builder's Specials" we replaced. The window company came and used a thermo gun to shoot the windows and outside walls of the house. Both the windows and walls were 61 degrees and one of the remaining old windows showed a temperature of 49 degrees. So I guess the windows are an improvement and will save some energy.

Completed about 80% of the landscaping around the mine and just need to add some coal under the loader hoppers. Taller ground foam sure hides a multitude of bare ground when installed at a viewing height of 5'6" or so on a layout. I'll finish tomorrow and run a locomotive on the mine spur for the first time with the new uncouplers installed and the mine in place. The ground foam pulls the mine structure to the ground and anchors the building. I planned on using an ALCO for mine duty, but may purchase a Bachmann 70 tonner that I saw on sale, but I didn't remember where I saw the little critter. Will paint and letter the loco for the CM&NR.

Maybe I could lease Chet's 70 tonner??? The real "beyond the layout" concept.

A Trip to Walthers tomorrow for a list of small items but I want to find six or eight coal hoppers.

Garry: Many positive thoughts for your Mother in Law.

I get tired working on the mine area since I'm in a access opening that only 24" x 24" and I feel like a gopher when I pop up in the opening. I can't wait to ballast the Saxeville Interchange and have to stand on a stool or something to see and reach into the layout and appliy the ballast.

Curt: Interesting structure and I specially like the signage. How did you apply the signs?

I especially like the sign that reads:........................

P. Gardiner
Tack, Field
& Farrier

Most people don't know what a Farrier" is. :oops:

The Mrs. showed some interest in starting to remove the items that are stored on shelves in the site of the new freight yard. I also have to clean up my 1:1 work bench area.

Well back to installing Turbo Tax for 2018. I use the software for our taxes and several other people's taxes for who I do their returns.

Later....................

Greg

########################

GREGMILW15A.jpg

Headed back to the yard at the end of the shift.

Howdy ...

Thanks everybody for the comments, thoughts and prayers for my Mother in Law.... She is still in ICU.... I think our next trip to see her in Nashville will be Friday.

Justin and Louis .... I like the C&O and Chessie photos in WV.

Curt .... That building i looking great.

Greg .... Noce photo of the MILW locomotive.

Garry, I hope for the best for your MIL.

In other news, my wife has a newsed car. I called my credit union Monday morning to see about financing a used car through them. They took my info, and said they would submit it, and let me know.
This morning, I called to find out why they hadn't approved me. I hadn't heard from them, and no answer usually means "no".
The loan person said they'd approved the loan about 30 minutes after I applied, and she had called me... umm, I'm sorry, sir, I forgot to call you.
Gee... thanks.
As apology, she knocked a point off the loan, which is now 5.3%. Now all I have to do is come up with $137 a month. Though it is a nice car.

Dave -PV: I definitely agree with what Willie suggested about moving the legs back from the inside edge at least 6" to 8"s so you and guests won't be hitting them with your/their feet when standing at or near the layout edge.

I also designed my layout with recessed legs and don't have any toe or side kick problems which will sometimes jar the table quite severly ! We are just trying to prevent future problems for you.

Chet: Yes it is amazing all the locomotive and cars even in the full size manage to stay on the rails. With some of the track the condition how's the almost certain derailment and yet the diesel locomotives and cars seem to manage just stay on the rails ! Yet, I watched other video of derailments where the rail which seem to be in perfect condition literally folded over to one side allowing the locomotive to derail ??

I found on my layout even though I tried to be as careful as possible I still have derailments here and there from time to time. I found that often it's the fact that a truck is too tightly attached do the bolster so as to prevent enough side to wobble or FreePlay oh wow in the car to adjust two uneven track. Of course out of the times I found that dirt build up on tread portion of the wheels raises the wheel up enough on the fine scale Wheels with shallow rims to raise up enough which causes of derailments too .

Like my engineer friend said if it weren't for the weight of the cars and the engine they wouldn't stay on the track !

Louis - Shame on you for violating the ban!;)

A loop hole is a loop hole. I can be better than a tax lawyer at finding a loop hole when it comes to buying stuff for my trains.

I found this 1965 Lincoln Continental while waiting for them to pull my order for pickup at MB Klein.
1547722917353.png

I know I over paid for it ($27.99) because it was in the Matrix movie, but I had to have it! My great Aunt Margret had one. I still remember sitting in the back seat waiting for the blue light to go off so we could go.

1547724853933.png

Milwaukee Road boxcab set E-47 leads its freight through East Kittitas, Washington under the wires of the electrified "Coast Division" on November 5, 1964. Photographer unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back