Search results

1. IowaFarmBoy

Track Cleaning Methods

I can be lazy and hand cleaning track is not something fun. so I have some questions. What is your favorite track cleaning system and why? I use the John Allen Cleaning Car pads already. I see CenterLine, CMX, and Atlas/Dapol track cleaning cars mentioned a lot with several different...
  2. IowaFarmBoy

Hiding A Hole Through The Backdrop - My Version

Here's a structure that I am finishing up that will hide a hole through the backdrop where the track piereces a wall of the room it is in. The other end of the backdrop hole will probably be a tunnel portal. The single crossover will probably be a double crossover since the main yard on the...
  3. IowaFarmBoy

Hiding A Hole Through The Backdrop - My Version

Here's a structure that I am finishing up that will hide a hole through the backdrop where the track piereces a wall of the room it is in. The other end of the backdrop hole will probably be a tunnel portal. The single crossover will probably be a double crossover since the main yard on the...
  4. IowaFarmBoy

Craig's List Find

Every so often I hear about the great deal someone got on ebay or from some estate or yard sale. I guess it was my turn. I found this on Craig's List and it is part of an estate. For $50 I got a Dremel 4" table saw with 4 blades, a Dremel Moto-Lathe (without the cutting tools), an old style...
  5. IowaFarmBoy

Pledge with Future Finish aka Future Floor Wax

Periodically on forums the topic of using clear gloss acrylic finish Future floor wax comes up. I saw it mentioned in the scenery section and responded there. But since it is a finish I am posting here too. I use it and like it. Here is a link to the most comprehensive article on Pledge...
  6. IowaFarmBoy

Ideas Wanted

I'm diabetic and test my blood sugar then give myself an insulin shot. I end up with small syringes, Plunger covers, needle covers, and lancets (I grind the needle off) and have been everything but the syringes. These are on a 2 X 4 so you have some idea of size. I'm looking for ideas to use...
  7. IowaFarmBoy

Rescuing A Basket Case

Some time ago, probably at least a couple of years, I won an ebay auction for a Bailey Savings and Loan structure already assembled. It was cheap, very cheap. When it arrived I inspected it and it had serious problems. It had been assembled with tube cement including glazing the windows. :(...
  8. IowaFarmBoy

A Cedar Shingle Roof - My Version

I am scratchbuilding an HO scale structure with 3 round towers (decorative) and one square one (for the elevator.) Here is a footprint of the structure which I call Towers Furniture. Ignote the clock. I forgot to erase it. :) I made a sub-roof and flashing plan in CorelDRAW X5 and printed...
  9. IowaFarmBoy

A Painted Sign - NOT a my best work!

My vision is better since laser eye surgery.. My arthritis is better. Apparently my mind is worse. I was creating an old looking sign for a scratchbuild I am doing. I made 2 errors. I forgot to put the lid on a bottle of white paint and I forgot how to spell. Masking the area again and...
  10. IowaFarmBoy

Dull Aluminum Paint Ideas Wanted

I like unique open loads in freight cars. I am a diabetic and use lancets 4 times a day to get a blood drop for glucose testing. I cut off the needles from the used lancets and grind the end smooth. I plan to use them in a future scrap yard as rejected aluminum castings that need reprocessed...
  11. IowaFarmBoy

Powering LEDs in a structure

I don't normally light structures but I scratchbuilt a background structure that has an enclosed loading dock with inner and outer doors. One outer door is open and I have LEDs to light the area so that it isn't just a black hole. Additionally I have blinking LEDs to simulate the lights on...
  12. IowaFarmBoy

Refrigerator Cartons

I made these simple refrigerator cartons to be a load in a boxcar with an open door. I haven't finished that project yet but ran across the file and decided to share it. I didn't attempt to make a highly detailed carton but rather something that looked ok in a boxcar or in a truck or inside a...
  13. IowaFarmBoy

Question about another website

http://www.model-railroad.tv This popped up in a banner ad for me. Has anyone heard of them? Is it for real? I am always suspicious of such things coming to me unsolicited on the internet.
  14. IowaFarmBoy

Remembering...

This post was inspired by memories triggered while replying to Josh's grain elevator thread. My post is disjointed because my memories of days long ago are disjointed. :D I was born in 1949 so I'm a WWII baby boomer and I have lived much of the transition era of railroading. I remember...
  15. IowaFarmBoy

Powdered Pastels Containers

I found these with the beads in the Craft section at Walmart. They are about 1 1/2" in diameter and 13/16" high. Clear plastic jars with screw-on lids at a Walmart price. I am using them to hold powder that I made from soft pastels that were also in Walmart's Craft section.
  16. IowaFarmBoy

Curved Yard Lead

I'm working on the main yard for our layout. If I knew how to post an XTrkCAD file I would show it so people could make adjustments. I've been playing with this a while and decided to ask for advice. Will a curved yard lead work? If so what minimum radius for the lead in HO scale? We...
  17. IowaFarmBoy

Color Match 1.0

Here's something else that may help paint matching. I found it in an old post on another forum. It is too bad that more model railroad brands aren't included. And here is the link. Color Match 1.0 I Chose Badger MODELFlex for the line to search and Acrylic Craft Paint as the Paint Type...
  18. IowaFarmBoy

Future Floor Finish On Models?

Has anyone here used Future as a gloss coat before decals or to make something shine? After reading about it in several internet articles I bought a bottle. It is labeled "Pledge with Future finish" and seems to be clear acrylic.

Back