Craig's List Find

IowaFarmBoy

Every so often I hear about the great deal someone got on ebay or from some estate or yard sale. I guess it was my turn. I found this on Craig's List and it is part of an estate.

For $50 I got a Dremel 4" table saw with 4 blades, a Dremel Moto-Lathe (without the cutting tools), an old style Dremel drill press, a variable speed Dremel Moto-Tool which fits the drill press, and a kit of accessories including a lot of tiny router bits. Here's a picture of the stuff i got.

CraigslistFind_zpse10605c8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet deal!
Never seen that lathe before, I guess we can expect some cool project pics in the future? :D

Carey is right, it is a wood lathe and it just has a spur drive on the head without a jaw chuck. Here is a set of turning tools that wouldn't be too bad. http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LCMINI2-5-Piece-Turning/dp/B000KIAE08 Kind of hard to tell but it looks like it might have a live center on the tail stock. Does the point on the tail stock turn or is it fixed? It's a plus if it turns.

I'm willing to take a chance on risking personal injury by taking "protective custody" of your most excellent find so that you won't get hurt.:D

Just a friendly reminder to always wear safety glasses, hearing protection and a dust mask and don't do any turning on the lathe with long sleeves. They may be little tools but they pose all the same risks as their big brothers.

GOD BLESS CRAIGSLIST i love getting rid of my junk ahhh i mean stuff on craigslist & finding all kinds of goodies on there

Yes it is a wood lathe and the tailstock has a live center. The only problem with finding the turning tools for the lathe is making sure that they are small enough. My guess is that normal lathe tools are just too big. The lathe maximum size is only 1.5" X 6" so a 1" gouge seems like t would be overkill. And it would probably stall the motor.

I don't have any elaborate plans for the lathe but have wanted to make some columns for structures. An actual lathe would probably work better than chucking a dowel in a drill.

By IowaFarmBoy;

The only problem with finding the turning tools for the lathe is making sure that they are small enough. My guess is that normal lathe tools are just too big. The lathe maximum size is only 1.5" X 6" so a 1" gouge seems like t would be overkill. And it would probably stall the motor.
This is a mini tool set for mini lathes. http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LCMINI2-5-Piece-Turning/dp/B000KIAE08?tag=vglnk-c567-20 Includes:-1/4-inch roughing gouge, 1/8-inch spindle gouge,-1/4-inch round nose scraper, 3/32-inch parting tool,-1/4-inch skew chisel

I don't have any elaborate plans for the lathe but have wanted to make some columns for structures. An actual lathe would probably work better than chucking a dowel in a drill.

It most definitely would. A friend of mine had one that he used to do thing like that for his layout as well. Some of his gouges were very small. He had to practice on it a while before he could do anything with it, that was any good.

Unfortunately he passed several years ago, and his family disposed of everything quickly. I didn't even know that they had done that until the wife called me and gave me all of his paints, saying that was all that was left and she remembered that I did a lot of painting.

Actually I would find the table saw to be the better find than the lathe. Now you can cut your own scale lumber!
Good deal all around for 50$

Actually I would find the table saw to be the better find than the lathe. Now you can cut your own scale lumber!
Good deal all around for 50$

I actually agree with this. While I cut my basic tie material using a regular table saw, I do all final cutting to actually get ties, about scale 8"x8" on a 4" table saw from HF. The Dremel probably could cut scale size lumbar quite easily.

I have been checking small saws on ebay for some time because I wanted to be cutting my own scale lumber. That is why I jumped on this deal. I would have paid more for just the table saw so the lathe and Moto-Tool are sort of freebies that just sweeten the deal. I would have bought a 4" table saw off ebay or Harbor Freight or MicroMark except for:

No rip fence or
No miter gauge slots or
Much too expensive for my budget

The HF and other small saws all seemed to fail one or more of those issues. Proxxon/MicroMark has a great saw but my wife would never approve of spending that much money on one. :) She had only one problem with this deal and that is "Where are you going to put them?"

FWIW, growing up, my Dad's first comment whenever we wanted anything was the same as your wife's, & he was from Nebraska...hmmmmm

... I would have bought a 4" table saw off ebay or Harbor Freight or MicroMark except for:

No rip fence or
No miter gauge slots or
Much too expensive for my budget

The HF and other small saws all seemed to fail one or more of those issues. ...

The only fail to the HF saw is no rip fence. It came with a miter gauge and the typical 2 slots. Mine only cost $39. I made my own rip fence.

But I also believe that the Dremel is a better saw. But it seems they are no longer available in my area. I've checked every store here that handles Dremel products and none have been available for a while. I even had one store clerk claim Dremel never even made one.

Back