Curved Yard Lead

IowaFarmBoy

I'm working on the main yard for our layout. If I knew how to post an XTrkCAD file I would show it so people could make adjustments. I've been playing with this a while and decided to ask for advice.

Will a curved yard lead work?
If so what minimum radius for the lead in HO scale?

We are planning on 36" minimum mainline radius and if you think a curved lead will work will work there is room for a 48" radius yard lead and that is what the plan shows. The main line between 1a and 1c continues through a wall. Here's a picture of the area.

Oakvilleforforum-1.jpg

I don't think there are any problems having a curved yard lead, in fact I have a curved yard lead.

36" and up will be fine for a yard lead. Real RR's have curved yard leads and even curved yards.

As has been said, the curver yard lead should be no problem, especially with such broad curves. The one thing you need to add is a crossover track somewhere in about the middle of the yard so your switcher doesn't get stuck behind a cut of cars. Also, search here on "compound ladder" for an alternative to your ladder that will allow you to get more yard track in the same space.

As has been said, the curver yard lead should be no problem, especially with such broad curves. The one thing you need to add is a crossover track somewhere in about the middle of the yard so your switcher doesn't get stuck behind a cut of cars. Also, search here on "compound ladder" for an alternative to your ladder that will allow you to get more yard track in the same space.

There is a crossover and that would have shown in the XTrkCAD file. I don't want a compound ladder since most of the turnouts will have Caboose Industries hand throws and I need room for my fingers to The actual ladder configuration is a bit different since I was using the Atlas template set for convenience. The ladder, already on an old layout module that needs rebuilt, starts with a 3-way turnout. The longest yard track will probably be over 16 feet in length. Most of our trains will be around 20 cars long so even the shorter yard tracks will hold a train or close to it. Staging tracks, in another room to the right, will be even longer.

Back