Track Cleaning Methods

IowaFarmBoy

I can be lazy and hand cleaning track is not something fun. so I have some questions.

What is your favorite track cleaning system and why? I use the John Allen Cleaning Car pads already. I see CenterLine, CMX, and Atlas/Dapol track cleaning cars mentioned a lot with several different options on each as well as cleaning by hand. Quite frankly my hands don't work as well as they used to so because of arthritis and a stroke so I'm checking on what all is available.

We have a space 17' X 69" that we can fill. Until we get much further along, part of the space (17' X 24',) is subject to a severe temperature range from 100+°F in the summer to -20°F or colder in the winter. Track does need cleaned often enough. I use the John Allen Cleaning Car pads but am keeping all of my options open because there will be spots that those don't get to often enough. Right now I have some funds that can be directed to track cleaning cars if that seems to be the way to go.

Another reason for something other than cleaning by hand is that it is not difficult for me to visualize running trains from a wheelchair in the future. Standing then reaching to clean somewhere might leave a large, Larry-sized, dent in the scenery from where I fell. I'd like to avoid situations like that. :)

I use the GLEAM method of track cleaning. If done properly it only has to be done once. I did mine back in 2006 and only had to wipe the track once in a while with a clean dry cloth. I had to redo the GLEAM a few years ago after I tore the layout down and rebuilt it to facilitate a new track plan. I haven't had to use any track cleaning scrubbers or abrasive pads at all. All I use is a cheap Bachmann track cleaning tank car the drags a dry non-abrasive pad beneath it. The car is in position full time behind the locos and just looks like a dirty weathered tank car. Once in a while I put a little alcohol on the pad and let the train run. That's the extent of any track cleaning. I can run my fingers along the track and only pick up a very small amount of gray on my fingers. That's the natural oxidation of the nickel-silver.

I keep a post about the GLEAM method on my old forum. Here's a link to it: GLEAM.

Larry,

If you have metal wheels on ALL of your cars, about the only time you will have to clean track is after you have done some construction or ballast work. I personally find my CMX car using isopropyl alcohol to be superior to all the others I've tried. Unfortunately I find cleaning construction residue off the track is best done with a bright boy. For cleaning track in hard to reach places a number of us have found the new Tidy Track system by Woodland Scenic's to be effective. Some claim wahl clipper oil or gleam but I only use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It has been my experience that the more you run trains with metal wheels, the better the layout runs.

I had not mentioned it but though we have many, many cars, the only wheelsets allowed on the layout are metal ones. Additionally we are trying to replace those old Athearn diesel wheelsets.

All rolling stock must also pass a standards check which includes the wheels, couplers, and weight. Our minimum radius is 36" and pretty much all rolling stock has no trouble with that.

The environment

Larry,
Sounds like you are on top of the metal wheel thing. One other thing I forgot to mention. High humidity, heat and poor dust control help ensure dirty wheels and track.

Joe

Back