Remembering...

IowaFarmBoy

This post was inspired by memories triggered while replying to Josh's grain elevator thread. My post is disjointed because my memories of days long ago are disjointed. :D

I was born in 1949 so I'm a WWII baby boomer and I have lived much of the transition era of railroading. I remember diesels in the 50s and 60s. I am saddened that I do not remember steam engines although they were running strong still when I was young. Those shiny new Es and Fs I do remember. I was especially impressed by RPOs passing through delivering and picking up mail on the fly since "our" station was a flagstop.

Some of my relatives worked on the Rock Island. I have a pair of switch locks and a key from one of them. The CNW, the Milw, WCF&N (IC), and Crandic were all here but my relatives were Rock Island men. I don't remember them but I fuzzily remember the stories. The Rock Island line north to Postville, Iowa, abandoned and removed now, is the western border of the farm we live on. It was commonly called the Pea Vine since there were many vegetable farms and canneries along it years ago.

Some 50 years ago my father repaired and upgraded the scale on the dump pit at the elevator I patronize the most. Our family back to my grandfather at least, used this elevator. We bought coal there from bins right next to the railroad track. I have been through most of that building's main floor and basement multiple times but my memory is weak on specifics. I 'helped' fill grain-loading boxcars at harvest time. I remember the car puller and then the upgrade to a farm tractor to move the cars. I loved that because that tractor had a loader and we didn't have to fill Grandpa's 53 Chevy pickup by hand any more. That coal sure did make the house warm in winter though.

You grew up in an era when the railroad meant so much to a small town. I was born in 1948 and here in Sterling, IL we had the CB&Q and C&NW with many freight sidings to all the manufacturing that was once here. The Steel mill used steam until 1983. As a child we rode the train to Chicago and back to my parents home in Ohio often. In 1952 it was the AT&SF to Cali. I lived two blocks from the C&NW passenger station and we played there a lot. The station Mgr. let us as long as we didn't run around and make a lot of noise. Soon after the the train left the station he would say " no more runs today boys, time to go home". Yah it is all fuzzy now but down in there are some of those great memories.
Thanks for bringing up your rememberances it helped me remember of a time gone by.

Yeah, I was born in 1946, and was lucky enough to live only a few blocks from the NKP mainline in Cleveland. I saw steam in its last glory and all the first generation power from almost every manufacturer around back then. The only thing I didn't get to see was early F units, since the NKP never bough an F unit in it's whole history. Saw plenty on the AT&SF when I moved to California in 1967 through. We lived in a suburb called Lakewood. Not only did we get to hang around the station, but we made friends with a lot of the trainmen, since Lakewood was a coaling point for a lot of the switchers working the yards in Cleveland proper. We used to get rides in the caboose a lot and even a cab ride now and then. Railroading was a much more informal, friendly industry back then. I can't even remember a case of an engineer or conductor not waving back to us when we were trackside. I really feel sorry for kids today. They've missed a lot, friendly railroading being just one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back