A Cedar Shingle Roof - My Version

IowaFarmBoy

I am scratchbuilding an HO scale structure with 3 round towers (decorative) and one square one (for the elevator.) Here is a footprint of the structure which I call Towers Furniture. Ignote the clock. I forgot to erase it. :)

TowersFurnitureFootprint.jpg

I made a sub-roof and flashing plan in CorelDRAW X5 and printed it. I cut one section out of the 9-sided parts and glued them into octagons. The strange shapr is the roof for the square tower. All of the parallel lines are for shingle spacing.

TowersFurnitureRoof00.jpg

I used cardstock to make the sub-roof and normal printer paper for the shingles and flashing. Here is the sheet I printed out for the shingles. I used a woodgrain bitmap tiled into the full page and added guidelines to align a ruler so that I could slit each shingle strip and then move the ruler to the appropriate line and use an Xacto knife to cut the strip of shingles off the sheet. I slit the shingles on the convenient grain lines which gives me random widths when the strip is applied to the roof.This is a close-up of the sheet that I am cutting the shingle strips from. The stainless steel ruler is upside down so when my arthritic fingers miss with the knife I am not scratching the ruler face. :D

TowerFurnitureRoof004.jpg

Here is my setup for construction.

TowerFurnitureRoof002.jpg

Here is a close-up of 2 of the roofs that are ready for weathering and mounting on the towers. I applied the shingle strips and flashing with white glue. I printed everything on an inkjet printer so the last thing before weathering is a coat of Krylon Clear Flat as a sealer to prevent the ink from running. Dullcoat would work but the Krylon is a cost effective solution. I am pretty happy with the results of the results of this project. Model Railroading Is Fun! :) :D :)

TowerFurnitureRoof003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those shingles look excellent to me, Larry. Very "random" which is exactly what you want.

- Jeff

Those shingles look really good and look to be really easy to install, especially compared to how I do cedar shakes. I make mine out of real cedar and install 1 at a time. These shingles would look really nice using a wethered wood pattern. Cedar changes color very quickly so you don't see too many that color, unless they were just installed. Looks to be a very nice structure when it is finished. Don't forget to show us some pics.Ron

Nice work Larry. It looks like a good easy and cheap method to get a fine result. I may have to try. Maybe replace a roof on a kit to give it an upgrade. I too would like to see your building when it's done.

Back