Search results

1. Hathaway Browne

Trams/Streetcars

One thing I'd love on a layout is a tram line, but I'm concerned they might be tricky to do. Do most models run on normal HO flex track? And I'm guessing that I'd have to use something like Hydrocal to embed the track in the road surface. Just wanted to gauge opinion on them, whilst I'm...
  2. Hathaway Browne

New location, same old problems!

Hey all, this might be a bit long winded, but bear with me! :) After leaving my layout dormant for nearly a year thinking there was no hope for it, I've suddenly been able to give it a new lease of life in a new location for 2012. Problem is, I'm still struggling with some of the same old...
  3. Hathaway Browne

Dimensions for a baseball diamond?

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place (it is sorta "layout building). Anyways, I'm toying with the idea of including a recreational ballpark on the layout to fill a gap. I just can't get my head around the HO dimensions for it. Its been a while since I tried to convert real...
  4. Hathaway Browne

Any Japanese HO?

I'm probably not looking hard enough (nor in the right places) but do any manufacturers make any HO models based on Japanese prototypes like the Shinkanzen?
  5. Hathaway Browne

Do you vist model shops while on vacation?

How many of us go into model shops while on vacation? Especially if you're abroad? I stumbled across a great model store in Interlaken, Switzerland a few years back. Naturally they stocked everything for the Euro modeller, but that didn't deter me.. I had a great look around to see how things...
  6. Hathaway Browne

Walthers' MR Freight House

So I've been looking at the Milwaukee Road Freight House and Office that Walthers have released... but something doesn't seem quite right about the measurements. Maybe its the photo they have, but the Freight House doesn't look like its 9-3/4 x 9-3/8. That surely makes it more of a square...
  7. Hathaway Browne

Recommendations for Commerical Bldgs?

Does anyone have any recommendations for commercial building kits? I've got a bit of space to fill in the town, after Merchants Row, Walther's seems to be a bit of a limited avenue in terms of commercial properties. I'm currently constructing DPM's Dry Well Inks and I'm not overly...
  8. Hathaway Browne

Roads..

Firstly I had no clue where to post this, so sorry if its in the wrong sub-forum. I'm at that point where I should really consider "laying some tarmac", so I was wondering, any tips? I've had a look at Walthers street system, but it looks like it could end up being costly to pave all the...
  9. Hathaway Browne

Walters.com search function - usless?

Is it just me or is the search function on Walther.com utterly useless? I've just tried searching for 3 separate items made by the company (even adding Walthers in the search text) and it brings up 55 odd pages of other manufactures product, alphabetically. I gave up in the end, I cannot...
  10. Hathaway Browne

My latest track plan

Well after much consideration, I once again shelved another plan reasoning that it would limit the view of the train to a short glimpse as it passed from tunnel to tunnel. I've now come up with a revised plan, (draw in Inkscape). Basically the town will occupy the space to the right of the...
  11. Hathaway Browne

Brewery/Bottling plant?

So I toying with the idea of having some sort of brewery or bottling plant as the industry. Could this be a relative easy thing to model, or could it be something that demands a lot of real estate on a relatively small layout?
  12. Hathaway Browne

4X8 Suggestions appreciated

Well the recent drop in temps means that my layout is.. well for want of a better term; frozen for the moment. And of course this again has made think about track planning again. So I would like to ask for suggestions on what, if anything, can be done. I currently have a twin track loop, but...
  13. Hathaway Browne

Wiring question

I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the direction with my layout wiring. Story so far: I have 2 loops of track which are separate from each other except for a cross over switch at the station. The outer line has wire soldered to it leading to a Bachmann DCC...
  14. Hathaway Browne

Attaching track to truss bridge

I've got the Walthers Double Truss bridge (instructions long since disappeared into the ether), so I was wondering, how should I lay track on it so its level?
  15. Hathaway Browne

Modeljunction site down?

Can anyone access this site? I've been trying for weeks but keep getting page load error. I don't know whether its somehow been blocked my end or not. :confused: http://www.modeljunction.info/
  16. Hathaway Browne

N layout on a 4x8?

I'm toying with making the switch to N, but I was wondering, anyone have any suggestions as to what track plan I could put on a 4x8? (or is that one of those "how longs a piece of string questions? ;) )
  17. Hathaway Browne

24" radius and layout size?

So I found out that the GN Pullman car I have can only handle 24" radii, please forgive my ignorance when I ask what size board would I need to accommodate that? I know its not going to happen on my 4X8 but I'm "negotiating trackage rights" ;) so I'm trying to see what space I'd need...
  18. Hathaway Browne

Curved platforms

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on curved platforms. Are they a great space saver or will it "drive you 'round the bend"? ;)
  19. Hathaway Browne

Options for a 7' x 8' space

I'm trying to explore every avenue I possibly can before I settle on a track plan. I have a 4x8 table, but I know there are alternatives to that. As the title suggests I have a 7'x8' space available and the question is, what kind of (HO) layouts could I fit in that?
  20. Hathaway Browne

Newbie question on passenger cars

I'm sure this is probably one of those "duh" questions, but humour me please! :o I'd love to run a HO passenger train of some sort on my yet to be finalised layout. However I realise that due to the length of the cars (one I have is GN Empire Builder) I need a lengthy curve - which to some...

Back