Roads..

Hathaway Browne

Intrepid Adventurer
Firstly I had no clue where to post this, so sorry if its in the wrong sub-forum.

I'm at that point where I should really consider "laying some tarmac", so I was wondering, any tips?

I've had a look at Walthers street system, but it looks like it could end up being costly to pave all the roads on my layout.

I see Woodland Scenics have a paint product, but can you paint that directly onto the wood of the baseboard?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

I havent seen Joshs post but I use plaster of paris built up in thin layers. sand it and its done. scribe cracks in the surface for asphalt roads or lines for concrete.

just my.02

I have only made a couple roads before, this is my first attempt in HO.

All I used was standard posterboard - very easy to work with! Painted it, weathered it, and used plain old white glue to hold it down.

3380060839_7cb78bcb74_o.jpg

Kyle

And a fine looking road it is too. Seriously you did a nice job on it it looks realistic to me.

Cheers
Willis

Styrene you can get cheap using the "For Sale" signs at Wal Mart are my material of choice. I can use solvent paints without worry of damaging the material. Posterboard or foamcore board would also work fine as long as you're using arcylic paints. I've used both plaster of paris and Smooth-it but both methods were far too messy when I can acheive the same results using styrene.

That is a real nice looking road, Kyle.

Back