Do you vist model shops while on vacation?

Hathaway Browne

Intrepid Adventurer
How many of us go into model shops while on vacation? Especially if you're abroad?

I stumbled across a great model store in Interlaken, Switzerland a few years back. Naturally they stocked everything for the Euro modeller, but that didn't deter me.. I had a great look around to see how things are done over there.

Anyone else?

I do, during my last trip over to Pennsylvania, I went to a couple of good model railroad stores in and around Altoona. The next time I go over, I plan on going to several more,in fact planning part of my travels so I can visit one or two.
Ron

Yup, I was in Denver CO for a conference and took a long walk to Caboose Hobbies. Well worth the effort, that place was amazing.

I usually do a quick google search for hobby shops when ever I plan a trip. Can't hurt.

Doug

Not only for vacations but while working too. Gets kind of hard to find a parking spot at times but I always manage! People get a kick out of having a big ol' hi-rail fire truck pull up.

What's, "VACATION"? Where do get one?

Chris, I was self employed for about 30 years & never took a vacation. When I sold out in 1981 I took a 30 day vacation in Kentucky & Indiana visiting aunts, cousins & grand parents. Always take a vacation now every year.:D

Vacation and business trips as well. I usually try to look up what's in the area before I leave so that once there, find the hobby shop is fairly quick and painless. It makes any of the company with me happy that we find the location quickly and I end up with more time to look around. :)

When I first got back into the hobby some 25 or so years ago, there weren't many shops in my area, so trips to New England were often made around being able to visit shops there. I used to bring along copies of the latest MR and check out the shops listed in the back "dealer listing".

For the most part I was disappointed in the shops that I did find, they never lived up to their ads "complete scratchbuilding supplies" , but usually consisted of some packages of stripwood and other odds and ends. When I asked about particular items I usually got the reply "we can order it for you". Heck with that, I could order if for myself.

Also visiting the shops and seeing some of the new releases I was disappointed too, as they were mostly at list prices and a whole lot more expensive than I could get through mail order at the time. Some of the prices were equal to what I could get the items for here in Canada, even with our normally higher prices.

These experiences soured me on finding gems and general goodies, but I still visited mostly out of curiosity. I did find one great shop, operated out of a garage in the basement of a fellows' home in eastern MA. Bay State Hobbies was plugged with all sorts of things that interested me, and I left some serious coin there. It was the kind of shop that I assumed all of the others would be. They are few and far between, and it's even worse these days. But I still keep looking!

Chris, a vacation is when you don't work and go somewhere else for fun. You should try it before you die. :)

My experiences have been very much like Bob's. When I was living in and traveling in my RV, I would always stop at hobby shops, even though I wasn't actively planning a layout at the time. Many were not worth the effort but there were always a few that had some nice people and decent display layouts. I had never heard of DCC until I spent a few hours checking it out at one shop in Texas. I thought it was a pretty neat thing, since the last layout I built was 25 years previously. By luck and happenstance, I found myself in a position to build a layout two years later and planned for DCC right from the beginning. If not for that two hour visit, I would have wired the whole thing for DC, knowing nothing about DCC, so the time was worth it.

My wife spots 'em for me!

Since I am busy watching out for drivers with Cracker Jacks box driving licenses, my sweet wife is the one who spots train/hobby shops during our travels. :cool:

Some are real nice with helpful staff and good stock, while others aren't worth stopping for. I have visited the ones in Altoona, PA and the real nice one in Jeanette, PA.

My LHS in White Oak, PA is okay if you're into slot cars, O-guage Lionel, or coin collecting. He stocks only track and scenery for HO fans.:mad:

I mostly shop online for my hobby.

Back