Curved platforms

Hathaway Browne

Intrepid Adventurer
Just wondering if anyone has opinions on curved platforms. Are they a great space saver or will it "drive you 'round the bend"? ;)

Could well be both.

But note that you're talking on a group that's mostly American, and we're used to low platforms. Of course, American railroads try to avoid curved platforms anyway, but you often see them on models. With high platforms, you either have to make them straight or, if you're using the curves that model, uh, railways typically have, you need to allow plenty of clearance. At least that's not a problem with the American prototype.

"Mind the gap", indeed!

Some major American railroad terminals had curved platforms to fit the space available or because the terminal track was double ended and the curve was needed to rejoin the mainline. As John said, most of our platforms are low level so equipment clearance isnt a concern. Nevertheless, curves used as passenger platform tracks tended to be very broad. The Cleveland Union Terminal had a few outside curved tracks and I would guess the curve was something over a 125" radius in HO. If you've got nowhere else to put a platform and you're not running tight curves, they work out OK, but the tighter the curve, the more toylike the passenger train looks when stopped at the platform.

I hadn't realised that raised platforms aren't as wide spread over there. I might incorporate a curved end to the platform just to help save space.

New Jersey Transit is conveting alot of low platform stations to high level platforms. Mostly to make them ADA compliant. But most of the Hoboken side is low level with an occasional high level.

I know of one extreme curved platform. Its on the NYC subway at south street/staten island ferry terminal. It is so curved that the train has to line up perfectly so ramp extensions will come out from under the platform and goto the doors.

Back