Walters.com search function - usless?

Hathaway Browne

Intrepid Adventurer
Is it just me or is the search function on Walther.com utterly useless?

I've just tried searching for 3 separate items made by the company (even adding Walthers in the search text) and it brings up 55 odd pages of other manufactures product, alphabetically.

I gave up in the end, I cannot sit there and trawl through all that to get to the results page I actually asked for. :mad:

the quick search is 100% usless, if you do the advanced search and put the manufacturer in its not to bad

Last edited by a moderator:
the quick search is 100% complete usless, if you do the advanced search and put the manufacturer in its not to bad

The quick search is not always useless, but yes most of the time it is useless lol

the advanced search is much better. If you get no results back from your advanced search, you probably spelled the manufacture name wrong. Go to the link with all there MRF's and copy the MRF's name in question and put it into the advanced search along with the type of model your looking for (structure, loco, rolling stock....) and the scale and it should help alot.....

The Walthers search engine only picks up on exact words. For instance when i search for Northern Light and Power (HO and N scale cornerstone kit) in advanced search under the category structures and HO scale, it comes back with zero results, but when you do the same advanced search and only type in Northern Light it comes back with the listings of the kits.... It can sometimes get a little frustrating, and i think Walthers should try and come up with a better search engine....

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad its not just me then. It's not only stupid to have such a weak search engine but also bad business. I was after all searching for their own product. If I felt so inclined I probably could have found a ample alternative from a competitor.

Sure they probably get some sort of kick back for the other companies appearing in the search, but surely its nothing compared to what they would have earned if I had bought their product?

Definitely need to use the advanced search to find exactly what you are looking for. Once I kind of got a feel for what was coming up during my searches, I have been able to locate everything that I am looking for on their website. I do agree with Josh, they could probably do some work to make it a bit more user friendly.

Walthers does not have a very robust search engine. Although they don't carry as many things as Walthers, http://www.modeltrainstuff.com has a really good search engine and I use that unless I'm looking for the small detail parts or small manufacturers that only Walthers carries.

I must admit, I also had some issues using the search function the first few times. Once you get used to how it works, it gets easier, I typically only do advanced searches and use the manufacturer name as well as product codes as much as possible.

Many model suppliers' sites are difficult to navigate. The Walthers site is among the worst, however.

I found the quick search is good if you have part number to search with but the advanced search is good if you have the company name correct.
Dave

Back