Starting over

Dudepants

Well, I did have a 4'x6.5' layout with a main line and a few spurs but like everyone said, I got bored with it rather quickly. What I found is the mainline wasn't a long enough run for what I was looking for. Running trains on it was fun, but once I evaluated the space I was working in, I found a shelf style set up would give a pretty big gain to the amount of track I could layout while still leaving good amount of space for scenery, etc. In fact, once I re-planned the layout (using SCARM, still making changes etc) I was able to increase the track laid by 3 times what I had, modeling a little over a scale mile.

Funny thing about this hobby; I just started at 36 years of age and I'm really enjoying it, even though I don't have a layout to run trains, ha! Like my other hobby, restoring small motor bikes (currently rebuilding a 1964 Honda C110, 50cc) I'm taking my time this go around. Every step I'm just enjoying using my brain and dreaming up the possibilities. It's really quite a blast.

Anyway, here's the area I've got to work with:

basement.jpg

It's not much, but it's what the wife will let me get away with in our small house, ha! Basically, this is the back corner of our basement bar. I'm getting rid of the old pinball sitting in the lower left of the pic, so that should open things up a bit. What you're looking at is a 9 ft x 6.5 ft area where I'll be putting a doughnut shaped layout. Each side of the doughnut will be about 16" to 18" wide which should give me enough room to duck under and get in the middle to operate or operate from the outside. Minimum radii goal is 22 - 24". I'm not modeling a specific era or line, basically totally freelance, so we'll see how that goes. I'm really looking forward to the whole process and will be constructing the bench work next weekend (hopefully). Definitely will take pics along the way.

If anyone has any preliminary suggestions, I'm all ears.

Cheers!:D

restoring small motor bikes (currently rebuilding a 1964 Honda C110, 50cc)
SIDE TRACK - Mine has a leak somewhere in the fuel system. I think it is the 2 cycle oil leaking out. Is there a quick way to find and fix?

I'm getting rid of the old pinball sitting in the lower left of the pic
SIDE TRACK 2 - Really? those are getting rare. What are you going to do with it. I am working on replacing all those bayonet base small bulbs with LEDs so the lights in the house don't go dim when I turn it on.

What you're looking at is a 9 ft x 6.5 ft area where I'll be putting a doughnut shaped layout. Each side of the doughnut will be about 16" to 18" wide which should give me enough room to duck under and get in the middle to operate or operate from the outside. Minimum radii goal is 22 - 24". I'm not modeling a specific era or line, basically totally freelance, so we'll see how that goes. I'm really looking forward to the whole process and will be constructing the bench work next weekend (hopefully). Definitely will take pics along the way.

If anyone has any preliminary suggestions,
Suggestion 1. Get a track plan before you build the bench work.
Suggestion 2. Choose at least an era and part of the country and stick to it.
Is this HO, N, or ?

Hi Iron Horseman,

Side track 1 - My Honda is 4 stroke, the fuel system is really simple, just works on vacuum off the carb with a line from the tank, to the carb to the cylinder. I guess, not having seen your bike I would say try replacing the fuel line and rebuilding the carb. Do you see fuel leaking on the ground while it sits? While it runs? What position is the petcock at when it does leak? Mine had a leaking crankcase. Once I rebuilt it with all new gaskets and bearings, she runs decent now. Problem is the electrical is kind of a mess, ugh!

Side track 2 - Yeah, my wife said it was a compromise to give me more space for train stuff. Honestly, it is really cool, but I have no time for it. Mines a mid 60's Williams Zig Zag but it needs a lot.

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a track plan and it'll be HO scale. I haven't tackled benchwork just yet because my track plan has changed a few times, ha!

Side track 1 - I guess, not having seen your bike I would say try replacing the fuel line and rebuilding the carb. Do you see fuel leaking on the ground while it sits? What position is the petcock at when it does leak?
Yes, while it sits really slowly. I never see it drip just see the puddle. Gunk all over all. Doesn't matter which position the petcock is.

I haven't tackled benchwork just yet because my track plan has changed a few times, ha!
That's why I made the suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, while it sits really slowly. I never see it drip just see the puddle. Gunk all over all. Doesn't matter which position the petcock is.

So does it leak oil or gas? If it's oil, I'd look where the case halves meet, where the cylinder meets the case, where the head meets the cylinder and the oil lines hook up on the vacuum of the carb and the case. Is your's a C110? Is it a 3 speed or a 4?

Beware cramming a lot of track into a defined space, and fight the temptation to do so. Sure, if it's a switching yard, fill 'er up. But if it's a timesaver style, or just a point-to-point industrial with a train yard and back-shop at one end, you will have to place scenery items into it that make it pop and look natural. Real railroads don't cram all the tracks they can into their spaces....not even in yards.

You are giving up the main line that you said gave you pleasure. Was this because it was a hands-off setup where you had a loop and could enjoy a cold one while the train ran loops? You won't get that from a point-to-point unless it is 30 feet long with a single main between the two busy ends.

Hey Crandell,

Good advice, I'll be aware of the space I have. Basically, I did give up a mainline I liked BUT, I based on my new track plan, I will have a longer mainline with hopefully a better ability to vary scenery since it's across longer runs. What I'll potentially add is a little more switching/ more turnouts to hopefully make it a little more interactive.

And yes, I kept a mainline so I can enjoy some cold ones while the train ran in loops! ha!

Thanks for your help!

Well, I did have a 4'x6.5' layout with a main line and a few spurs but like everyone said, I got bored with it rather quickly. What I found is the mainline wasn't a long enough run for what I was looking for. Running trains on it was fun, but once I evaluated the space I was working in, I found a shelf style set up would give a pretty big gain to the amount of track I could layout while still leaving good amount of space for scenery, etc. In fact, once I re-planned the layout (using SCARM, still making changes etc) I was able to increase the track laid by 3 times what I had, modeling a little over a scale mile.

Funny thing about this hobby; I just started at 36 years of age and I'm really enjoying it, even though I don't have a layout to run trains, ha! Like my other hobby, restoring small motor bikes (currently rebuilding a 1964 Honda C110, 50cc) I'm taking my time this go around. Every step I'm just enjoying using my brain and dreaming up the possibilities. It's really quite a blast.

Anyway, here's the area I've got to work with:

View attachment 42569

It's not much, but it's what the wife will let me get away with in our small house, ha! Basically, this is the back corner of our basement bar. I'm getting rid of the old pinball sitting in the lower left of the pic, so that should open things up a bit. What you're looking at is a 9 ft x 6.5 ft area where I'll be putting a doughnut shaped layout. Each side of the doughnut will be about 16" to 18" wide which should give me enough room to duck under and get in the middle to operate or operate from the outside. Minimum radii goal is 22 - 24". I'm not modeling a specific era or line, basically totally freelance, so we'll see how that goes. I'm really looking forward to the whole process and will be constructing the bench work next weekend (hopefully). Definitely will take pics along the way.

If anyone has any preliminary suggestions, I'm all ears.

Cheers!:D

Well look... I'm with you on the mainline running thing. I would never create point-to-point or other plan that didn't allow for some roundie-round operation. As someone here said, too often I enjoy cracking a cold one and letting 'em roll...

At the same time, I've been-there-done-that with round-and-round getting dull if that's all you've got.

But with only 9x6.4 and 24" radii, you're gonna have to make some compromises...

If it were me, I'd do something like the image I've attached here (it's a 12" grid, turnouts are #4 and min. 24" radius). In short: get some variation in our continuous-operation by having more than one roundabout route. But make sure you have some sidings to work with as well to shake it up and break the boredom.

FWIW, the rough plan I put here could be built flat, but I actually envision it with the "outer" loop being raised up a bit to add variation - that's why the transition tracks from inner to outer are a bit long rather than just 'straight across'...

Best of luck!

9x6.5.jpg

Well look... I'm with you on the mainline running thing. I would never create point-to-point or other plan that didn't allow for some roundie-round operation. As someone here said, too often I enjoy cracking a cold one and letting 'em roll...

At the same time, I've been-there-done-that with round-and-round getting dull if that's all you've got.

But with only 9x6.4 and 24" radii, you're gonna have to make some compromises...

If it were me, I'd do something like the image I've attached here (it's a 12" grid, turnouts are #4 and min. 24" radius). In short: get some variation in our continuous-operation by having more than one roundabout route. But make sure you have some sidings to work with as well to shake it up and break the boredom.

FWIW, the rough plan I put here could be built flat, but I actually envision it with the "outer" loop being raised up a bit to add variation - that's why the transition tracks from inner to outer are a bit long rather than just 'straight across'...

Best of luck!

View attachment 42630

Awesome, thanks for the tips KJ, I like the sidings on that plan you attached. Actually mine is basically a similar (yet more simple) version:

BTO3Rail.jpg

should leave me enough space in the middle to move around. I think I might change it a bit more with your suggestions. If anyone else has ideas I'm open to them. Cheers ya'll!!

Awesome, thanks for the tips KJ, I like the sidings on that plan you attached. Actually mine is basically a similar (yet more simple) version:

View attachment 42631

should leave me enough space in the middle to move around. I think I might change it a bit more with your suggestions. If anyone else has ideas I'm open to them. Cheers ya'll!!

Looks good! I do like that you've got space for a bit of 'staging' at the top left corner. Little worse than using the 'five fingered crane' all the time. Only advice is don't forget room for scenery: Having space for a building on your spurs, some scenicking around tracks, etc. makes all the difference in boring round-and-round versus a railroad that does something...

Ah, good point. I'll make sure I leave some space, giving it a more dynamic look is a goal from my last layout. Once I start drawing it out on the benchwork I feel like I'll know if I need to move something around. I really like that siding along the bottom of the plan you posted, maybe I can incorporate something like that? Think I'd have enough room?

View attachment 42631

I like your trackplan there...its simple, but has a lot of opportunity to have operations and mainline running...while being able to have a variety of scenery. Good potential!!! Quit debating and just go with it!!! lol

On that pinball machine...

Zig Zag is not a particularly rare title, but in fair condition will bring $300 or so, even if it is not working. Value depends totally upon the condition of the backglass, playfield and cabinet. Everything mechanical and on the playfield can be repaired and/or replaced as needed. if you want some idea of value, PM me at fingerja@beloit.edu and with pictures I can put you in the ballpark for value. I can also give you some connections on places to advertise/sell it.

I restored pins for about 40 years, so I have a lot of connections.

Jeff

Looking at your track-plan, I notice that all of your sidings face the same way. I would flip one of them, just to mix it up a bit when switching.

Looking at your track-plan, I notice that all of your sidings face the same way. I would flip one of them, just to mix it up a bit when switching.

Dudepants,

I'm not expert but I tend to agree with ghost59. Maybe swap the north tracks to face the west? Just a thought.

Ah, good call, thanks for the pointer. I'll make a few changes and repost to see what ya'll think. Thanks gents!

Back