Starting over

Just ordered all my turnouts (finally!) so progress will resume next week. I've got a few of my longer sections of track soldered, so I've at least got things started. I also picked up a Bachmann EZ command (on the cheap, I paid $40 and it's still new in the box) so I can start playing with DCC. I know they get a bad rap, but at the price I paid, I cannot complain. Once I get the turnouts set up I'll snap some more pics. Really excited to get back at it!

So, I'm in the process of laying my track and I've hit kind of a snag: When I cut the flex track, sometimes one of the rails comes off the ties. What is the technique for getting the rail back under the spikes on the rail? Do I have to slide the track back and then under or can you somehow snap it back into place?

If it is movable side of the flex track yes just slide it back then slip it back into place. I have done the same thing many many times. If it is the stationary track I have both bent the tie slightly to spread the spikes and pop it back in place and have also just trimmed off that spike so the rail will lay flat. One or even two missing spikes on one side should not effect anything.

David.

Dudepants,

I had the same issue with Peco Flex track. Getting it back under the spikes is a real pain in the butt. One thing I did when cutting the track, especially when on a curve, was to "Very Gently" clamp the track 2" or so inches back from where I was making the cut. That way, the rail couldn't come out of the spikes.

I just used a small piece of ply about 6" long, top and bottom, to locate a small clamp on. This might sound like a bit of work, but not as much as trying to relocate rails or loosing a length of track.

Ah, thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated. Wombat, I'm definitely going to use your advice so I won't have to do this again, super annoying to get the rails back under the spikes! Ha!

It is, that's a fact. I was lucky though, I had ordered too much track so had plenty to spare. I got so frustrated trying to get the rails back under the spikes I just discarded it and used another piece of track - using the method that I described above.

Just remember, DON'T use too much pressure when clamping the track. Just enough to hold the rails to the ties.

Ok, that totally helped, cutting rail is much easier with your technique Wombat. Also, i was actually able to slide the rail back through the spikes pretty darn easy once I sat down and took my time. I'm on my way now!

One follow up question: While snipping railroad ties to join two pieces, it leaves kind of an unsightly gap. What do you do for these? Glue in a few ties to give it a more seamless appearance?

After the track is attached in place where you want it just take the ties you removed and trim the edges up and I trim the spikes from one side down flat ( I do the side that can not been seen) and just the inside spike from the other side. Then use a small dab of white glue in the opening and slide the tie back in place under the rails. Let the glue dry and ballast the track.

Back