Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Had a nice time last night with the family. Having taco leftovers tonight. MOH gave notice at her part time job, since she is really over all the BS and poor leadership. Tomorrow I'm getting all my hairs cut along with the beard. I misspoke yesterday when I said the repair cost $600. When I went to pick the truck up it was $360. They really couldn't explain the difference but I wasn't going to argue with them;).

Justin- I hope you can fix your track issues. I know it's extremely frustrating.

Willie- I'm supporting National Taco Day.

Greg- I had the battery 2 months. Of course I was also gone for 39 days in that 2 months.

Chet- Nice track shot. I wish I knew more about auto mechanics. I did take auto shop in high school but they really didn't teach us much.

Garry- Nice looking still.

20180405_143332.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I wish I knew more about auto mechanics. I did take auto shop in high school but they really didn't teach us much.
Quite likely they were restricted by local repair workshops to only teaching basic maintenance and changing a wheel, objecting to the competition against their businesses.

Toot -- I don't think so! I think it was more of a time constraint. Don't forget that there are those who just cannot "grab" the basics. We did not have any auto type mechanics, but we did have a shop class that taught wood working with the stuff that would grind up and spit out anything fed into them ... and both arc and gas welding - damn, I loved that class!:cool:

Curt .. glad your bill was lowered - mine usually go the other way!:)

OK, KARL ... this ones just for you. Getting packed for the road trip - I found my missing pocket knife, and the dog leashes and brushes. The brushes were in an open box underneath their harnesses - DUH!o_O

Good evening. It's sunny and 86.
Umm, I think the weather report is a little off. It's more like 74 and mostly dark...

Getting packed for the road trip - I found my missing pocket knife, and the dog leashes and brushes.
Ooohh no, this ones for me as well. I was going to reply earlier, but when you said you had "lost" the dog's brushes as well, I was going to say "bet you find the other knife when you find them. Happens every time. I have learned when working with my spanners etc, that the one you are looking for is under, behind or somehow hidden from view by the last other one you pick up. Guaranteed.

Quite likely they were restricted by local repair workshops to only teaching basic maintenance and changing a wheel, objecting to the competition against their businesses.

Our Vo-tech auto shop was like a farm team for the local shops and dealerships. By the end of the year a large percentage of the students were out on work release making $$$$.
Personally, I regret ever going to Vo-tech......cars used to be fun, now with all the computers and emissions BS, Chinese Algebra is more attractive. I really believe I would have been happier digging ditches.

Good Morning Everyone. It's 71° and clear, visibility at 10 miles. I still wonder how they know the visibility when it's dark...and how come I can see the moon which is more than 10 miles away...or is it? Full day yesterday with the grocery/beer trek, haircut and Home Depot stops. After lunch a couple of friends dropped by and that pretty well tied up the afternoon. Only made it to the train shed to show them current progress. The wife does dollhouses so she is always interested in the structure models and scenery on the layout.

Greg - I started a list of projects that I need to do also. I filled two sides of a spiral notebook page after just 25% of the layout. The current and next project are not even on the list yet!
Chet - Train fairy? I think that she's trapped over at Ken's building the Canyon Diablo bridge. 8 cords delivered, WOW! The local tree trimmers that the power company hired turned me on to half a cord that was already cut but I had to go pick it up.
Sherrel - Always wished that I could have taken a vo-tech course in HS, but I went to a Catholic college prep school and they didn't offer one. We did learn how to use whiskey-filled test tubes for a nip between classes! Ooops! I won't have an easy time going to the Supreme Court now!

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, Happy Friday. 63° and cloudy. At least our weather is consistent.

think it was more of a time constraint. Don't forget that there are those who just cannot "grab" the basics. We did not have any auto type mechanics, but we did have a shop class that taught wood working with the stuff that would grind up and spit out anything fed into them ... and both arc and gas welding - damn, I loved that class!:cool:

I went to one of those fancy "Prep" schools that only offered Mechanical Drawing and Typing...:( However, cross town the Vo-tech school offered auto shop and other industrial trade classes. The repair shop I used recruited some of the better students, of course the owners SIL was an instructor.
I wonder if I would have been better off learning some marketable skills. The reality is I was very fortunate to have stumbled upon the railroad when I did, but sometimes ya gotta wonder...

Boris

Good morning all. 70 and clear out there, with the sun coming up bright and beautiful. Another coffee cake, please, Flo - - no, not just a piece - - THE WHOLE THING!! This gang likes coffee cake!!!!!

Since we're remodeling the master bathroom and doing some minor remodeling in the master bedroom, we decided to repaint both. I took the day off work yesterday and painted our master bedroom ceiling in the morning. Then I spent the afternoon rubbing cream on my sore muscles!! :( Now I wait until MOH chooses the color for the walls, and I paint 'em. By then the remodels will be finished and we can move back into the bedroom.

Willie - I found some low-glycemic bread for diabetics, 1 gram of sugar per slice, reasonable cost ($3.49/loaf, I think), and actually tastes good (especially toasted). I've only been off sugar one week and have lost 5 pounds already. I doubt that pace will keep up, but it is encouraging.
Chet - Thanks for your tips on track cleaning cars.
Justin - What's going on with your turnouts that's giving you fits?

Here are a couple of photos of my modeling workbench. No, these are not "staged" - this is how things have gotten over the past couple of months. Yeah, I know - - this is how some of your workbenches look ALL the time. But I was looking for something last weekend, and couldn't find it until yesterday, hidden under a rag. So I decided the workbench needed to be cleaned up, but haven't pulled the trigger on that job just yet ;). BTW, you can see the DPM structure (the one I got from Chet) upside down in the photos - I installed some roof supports and was letting them dry. Won't be long and that building will be finished and on the layout, unless some other lost item slows me down again.

ModelingWorkbench1.jpgModelingWorkbench2.jpg

Happy model building and train running. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning ..... Coffee and a caramel pecan roll, please.

Curt ... I like your scene..... Two Geeps, an FM switcher, and a steam switcher. What's not to like ?

Johnny ..... It looks like a lot of activity on your work bench.

I remember shop classes in jr. high and high school. I think it was good to learn basics of woodworking, drafting, machine tools, etc.

Happy Model Railroading

Good morning. 35 degrees to start off the day. We got our first snow of the upcoming winter last night. Just a couple of inches but most has already melted off.

20181005_090824.jpg

A friend who I used to work with at out local airport sent a couple of photos of the VP's arrival Monday.

vp3.jpgVP1.jpgvp 2.jpg

The last photo is of my friend Craig. The company I worked for at the airport had the military contract and also handled any arrivals such as this.

Curt - Nice photo. I really enjoy seeing your work. Growing up on a ranch, we learned at a young age how to repair just about anything. This knowledge really helped me with my hobby of restoring classic and muscle cars.

Garry - Like the photo of the still.

Johnny - Like the work bench photos. Glad I am not the only one with a messy bench.

I did get down in the train room yesterday and took care of a couple of small projects, but as usual, I ended up running trains instead of getting more work done. Guess running trains is what the hobby is all about.

Here's a rail photo for today. A set of Milwaukee Road box cabs on Pipestone pass.

Climbing up Pipestone out of Butte, MT.jpg

Later

Last edited:
MOH I'd drive ing ...i
Possible to I type!
Bakersfield heading North.
Breakfast on side of road at Pymiradr Lake turnout
Very nice photo,CHET
JOE, I always wondered what I would do if something happened medical,or otherwise to keep me from flying. Pretty well decided that surcide was the only out!

Afternoon All,

Got my hair and beard trimmed today while the wife went to Aldi (win-win). Hopefully my kit will come in tomorrow. Thank you to Garry and Chet for your kind words and anyone I might of missed.

Sherrel- Have fun on your trip.

Johnny- Actually my work bench is never that messy probably because of all the years in very cramped work and living quarters.

Chet- Interesting airport photos. Are those police or military in the second photo? I love the box electrics.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Reading the comments on mine about trade training classes in school, reminded me of what was available to me. Woodwork for boys and "Home economics" (basicly cooking) for the girls. When I left school at 15, I was given 2 employment options " Do you want to work with wood or metal?" I chose metal and went on to an industrial sheetmetal apprenticeship. I wish there had been an auto panel one on offer at the time, would have suited me much better. There were advantages though in that I learned to weld much more professionally than repair work generally requires. I remember being complimented on that skill twice by repair shops on jobs I had done on my own cars. Other panel working skills followed on fortunately, (or should that be, unfortunately?) later.

Toot... I recall girls attended home economics ( sewing and cooking). .... Boys attended industrial arts. ... I suppose to the PC Police today that would be considered sexist.
Garry, I'm 66+ and in 7th grade we had wood shop and 8th grade was metal shop. The girls did the sewing and cooking stuff. I still find it hard to believe that after smelling sugar pine going thru a table saw that we all didn't become carpenters......
Dave

Toot... I recall girls attended home economics ( sewing and cooking). .... Boys attended industrial arts. ... I suppose to the PC Police today that would be considered sexist.
I forgot the sewing bit, that could have been useful. After all, there are frozen dinners and microwaves now.

I forgot to update on the camera progress from last nights club test. It wouldn't work. Only just thought of it now, may need a reset. It didn't go through the prescribed procedure when first I charged it, or on the laptop USB connection at the club. Hope it's not a Dud, will report.

Ukiah, CA believe it or not - right about 5:30 pm -- 577 miles going through LA and SFO . Keft home at 4:30 am (30 min later than planned). Three pit stops for the puppies and one fueling stop. After makimg less than 20 mph for most of two solid hours I have come to the conclusion that living out here just an't worth it. Even the 101 North of Santa Rosa was stop and crawl for 10 miles - go figure????
Had Chilli and rice for dinner - bofen us to trd to fix anything - I frd the puppies a chicken breast in with their dry food which was a leftover from yesterday - they did not sem to mine.

Nite-Nite all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back