Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in the "ID10Ts walk among us" department, here is a photo of a 120 volt male connector that is lying inside a cabinet in an older trailer. It is live.
Ah yes! Commonly known as a suicide cable. Normally used in conjunction with a generator, can also be used to siphon power from your neighbor. Known as a suicide cable for obvious reasons.

The trailer is a 1959 model.
I found out that connection was live by bumping it with the back of my arm while I was kneeling in a puddle of water trying to repair the "improvised" fresh water plumbing system. I'd like to chat with the person responsible for that creative wiring job for a few minutes, and share my pain...

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier. Scheduled a haircut for Friday. Tomorrow is grocery day:confused:. I can't wait. I think the family is coming over for Taco Wednesday on you guessed it...Wednesday! This morning when I logged in I thought I had logged onto page 1 (September) again and logged out again before I realized it was the first of October:rolleyes:.

Sherrel- Damn, you really are old aren't you:p!! LOL. The leak is outside under the bed of the truck.

Chet- I could stand some cooler weather here. Nice turnout shot.

Garry- Great layout shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet, your latest track photo. That seems to be a very long derail they have provided there?

OK .. First: TOOT, I don't see a derail on Chet's track photo?

Second: CURT, Yeah -- guess that lets the cat outta the bag ? LOL .. I do remember my dad's P/U having the gas tank behind the seat. That does go back a ways!

Third: TERRY, glad you were not hurt (seriously)! I don't understand why that plug would have been hot? I don't understand the suicide bit? I made a double ended male cord in order to hook up my home generator, 3000 watt, to a household receptacle in order to supply electric power to the house grid in the early 90's when power would go out frequently around here. Worked great keeping the fridge going plus a few light circuits and computers. I always opened the main CB before using.

Fourth: Spousal Unit and I are heading for Northern CA later this week. Going to visit the Skunk RR for fun - they take dogs too!

Fifth: It's mostly overcast, 92 degrees and HIGH humidity today - not normal!
However, not a drop of rain around anywhere close.

I better ask this again, got painted over in the refurbishment. Which in itself raises another paint related question. But first my original one about filtering the alcohol after stripping paint. What can be used?
Now the refurbishing of the Coffee Shop. When is the calculated time frame till it's no longer possible to enter the shop because the paint has filled all the available space within?

I better ask this again, got painted over in the refurbishment. Which in itself raises another paint related question. But first my original one about filtering the alcohol after stripping paint. What can be used?
Now the refurbishing of the Coffee Shop. When is the calculated time frame till it's no longer possible to enter the shop because the paint has filled all the available space within?
Re: Filtering alcohol. Although paint pigments are a solids, they are microns in size. I can't think of any common material fine enough to strain them. There are two other alternatives. 1. Allow the mixture to set undisturbed for a month or so. The paint pigments should participate out, and the alcohol could be siphoned off the top. 2. Re-distill the alcohol...... carefully!

OK .. First: TOOT, I don't see a derail on Chet's track photo?

Second: CURT, Yeah -- guess that lets the cat outta the bag ? LOL .. I do remember my dad's P/U having the gas tank behind the seat. That does go back a ways!

Third: TERRY, glad you were not hurt (seriously)! I don't understand why that plug would have been hot? I don't understand the suicide bit? I made a double ended male cord in order to hook up my home generator, 3000 watt, to a household receptacle in order to supply electric power to the house grid in the early 90's when power would go out frequently around here. Worked great keeping the fridge going plus a few light circuits and computers. I always opened the main CB before using.

Fourth: Spousal Unit and I are heading for Northern CA later this week. Going to visit the Skunk RR for fun - they take dogs too!

Fifth: It's mostly overcast, 92 degrees and HIGH humidity today - not normal!
However, not a drop of rain around anywhere close.
Sherrel, that plug was just laying there, not attached to anything. It was under a bed. There was an extension cord laying next to it, possibly not visible in the photo. At first glance, the male end looked like it went to the extension cord laying there. It did not. It was wired directly into the main 120v wiring for the camper. Under a bed. Oh, the red rubber heater hose is part of the fresh water supply system. Yum!

2. Re-distill the alcohol...... carefully!

Oh, indeed!!. When I was researching isopropyl alcohol, I was interested as to why it was also referred to as Denatured alcohol. I wondered what the denatured meant. Turns out it just means that whereas isopropyl is ethanol, the denatured has had usually, methanol and possibly other ingredients (color, as in some methylated spirits brands) in order to make it unpalatable or as a warning to it's possibly poisonous, not natural state.

Toot -- Are you wishing to get the alcohol clear again, or just to get the paint solids out?
About the best you can do would be a funnel and some coffee filters. It's still going to be colored, but still usable again.

A little modification/addition to my NCE Procab
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5845.JPG

I got this camera after seeing Chet's Cab ride video at the Livingston club. It came with several mounting pieces which none really suited, It also has that waterproof case which attaches it to those mountings. I had envisioned making a wooden holder to put both Pro Cab and camera onto but then had a light bulb moment and decided to modify just the part the casing is clamped to and attach that directly. It means (hopefully) I can record successfully while still having 2 hands control of the Cab.
The only problem that cropped up this morning was, I don't know if it records sound as well, will have to try it out. Can't find a Mic anywhere, be a bummer if it doesn't. The casing would probably muffle it any way, but that could be opened up. I don't think anyones got a layout in a swimming pool.
There's no screen of course to see what you are videoing, but point and shoot should be OK. It claims to video in either 1920x1080P or 1280x720, 155deg wide angle, 12M mode 4032x3024 and single pic shots @ 12million pixels.

Toot -- Are you wishing to get the alcohol clear again, or just to get the paint solids out?
About the best you can do would be a funnel and some coffee filters. It's still going to be colored, but still usable again.
Yes, just to get most of the solids out. The coffee filters sound like a very good method, thanks.

Yes, I would think if you need a waterproof video camera for your indoor layout, you have other issues.

Apart from the Go Pro's (expensive), it's the first I've seen with a method of mounting it, there may be others. If it produces the quality of video that the one Chet used, I'll be happy. But if there isn't any sound recording, not so happy. Actually, the waterproof capability mighthave been welcomed by Bruce o_O

For the old time stock car racers
From 2 mins, All those priceless prewar Ford Coupes. Forgive them, for they did not know what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back