Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Overcast and 69°. A pair of thunderstorms overnight left .95" in the rain gauge. Lots of thunder but no real punch. The peal of thunder around 4:10 this morning would make the dead rise from their graves, and I didn't even have the hearing aids in yet.
Did a lot of prep work on our second bathroom remodel yesterday, the one that we are doing ourselves. Removed everything from the walls, removed faceplates from electrical stuff and removed all of the current molding. This "shiplap" wall covering stuff is interesting. It's 4" wide strips of wood with a separation between rows approximately the thickness of a nickel. That necessitates an extra step of paintinf the old green walls white before putting the stuff up so the green doesn't stand out between the white wood strips. I make no design decisions.
Out in the train shed yesterday, it was a repeat of most of the last few days. Midway through, I moved the figure painting stuff off the workbench and set up for tree making. I temporarily had a blank 12" x 16" spot in the center of the 16" x 32" workbench, kind of unusual for me!

Garry - My workbench is cluttered, but never as cluttered as that one. Another interesting thing regarding this fellow's layout was his "elevator staging"; which could also be used to move trains from his lower level to his upper level. He had a helix also. He built the elevator along a wall in one of the bedrooms, but then built two levels of layout in front of it. He sheepishly admitted that he would be in a real bind if he had to do any maintenance on the elevator, although parts were accessible by crawling underneath, reaching through, or reaching over the layout, 20"-30" in one corner.
Sherrel - What? The Walmart in Ukiah is not open 24 hours? Nearby in Denton TX, overnight parking for RV's is only allowed in one of the two Walmart parking lots. One of the stores is in a retail complex with many other businesses and restaurants so they don't allow it. A third one north of here in Gainesville TX allows it.
Chet - That more closely represents what my workbench looks like as opposed to the one I posted yesterday. Nice picture of the railyard. It's neat that you can identify your relatives home in it.
Curt - Best of luck with the truck.
Terry -
we have the Summer That Refuses to Die. High of 86 again today
That's the difference in different areas of the country, 86° here is considered a pleasant spring or fall day. Generally tee shirt and shorts until mid-November with a few exceptions. Of course we were hitting 110° and above for extended periods this past summer.

Gotta go, everybody have a great day. I miss you Louis.

Yes, I miss LOUIS and KEN D&J and DAVID and THAT KID WITH THE YARD BUSINESS and JEFFREY too!
Where are they all hiding?

Good Morning - it is pretty cool here this morning = we had horizontal leaves going in all directions during the afternoon and late into the night. Puppies are clamoring to get out and I need coffee -- who's going to win the battle? My money is on them!

Later gang

Good morning, y'all!

68°, cloudy and humid. Should be up near 80° today. As Terry mentioned, the summer refuses to quit. Of course, last winter lasted through May and June was cooler than usual, so...blame it on all the Volcanic eruptions the past several years. Each volcano creates a whole bunch of greenhouse gasses.

Sherrel: Every place has it's flaws as well as it's attributes. The problem with places like California, New York, Florida, and Jersey for that matter, is there diversity....many different people going in different directions... it's taken me 32 years to learn how to navigate Jersey's shoals and sand bars, so leaving here would break my comfort zone. As Terry pointed out, most of the annoyances we face are not due to the demands of various ethnic groups, but are the result of lobbying efforts by trade associations and corporations. Used to be called "Influence Peddling" :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I started assembling the bench work for the last missing section of my layout. For some reason, I did not get one corner correct. Soooo..., it's time to disconnect the joints, plug the holes and start over. The frame has to be right, as it fits in between two existing sections.

Have a great Sunday!

boris

Good morning. 37 degrees and overcast with light rain. May get up into the upper 40's.

Joe, Terry - Summer ain't hanging on up here. Wish it would. Took my winter tires out from under the porch yesterday to get mounted next week. Also started up the snow blower that is also kept under the porch to make sure it was running correctly.

Joe - Hope you are able to get that last piece of bench work installed properly. Post a photo or two.

Garry - Interesting photos from the past. Good post.

Ray - That was a couple of interesting videos. One big dozer. Hope the new camera works out better. I never used the mount that came with the camera. Just put it in a gondola and pushed it around the club layout. As you can see, it worked just fine.

Sherrel -
The dogs will most likely win. So far as replacing spark plugs in newer vehicles, it can be done, but how many knuckles are you willing to sacrifice?

I ran trains for quite a while yesterday. Besides doing a lot of switching, I also let a train run around for a while with a couple of track cleaning cars and posed the F-9 with my old Athearn F-7 to see what they would look like together. For additional power, a normal consist would have been an A-B, A-B-B or A-B-B-A consist, but I did see this configuration one time, but it's my layout, my rules. It would be nice to convery the old F-7 to DCC but anyone familiar with the old Athearn locomotives knows that there is no roon under the shell with the large weight inside.

20181006_151025.jpg 20181006_151100.jpg 20181006_150801.jpg

Here's my rail photo for today. Joe mentioned he like the electric motors so here is what was known as the Harlowtown Switcher.

E57B at Harlowtown, MT.jpg

Years ago I custom painted a couple of Brass locomotives from photos I have of the actual units. They are on display at the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston.

Part of the Harlowtown Switcher is on display now at the old Milwaukee Road depot in Harlowtown, MT.

On display at Harlowtown, MT.jpg Sign in Harlowtown.jpg

Later

Here's my rail photo for today. Joe mentioned he like the electric motors so here is what was known as the Harlowtown Switcher.

Chet: That's an awesome pair of motors. Concerning the new cars and the plastic shrouds covering the engines, they come off and reveal a familiar looking motor. Problem with the Caddie is the battery is hidden in the trunk, and the car does not have a spare tire or jack, making one vurnerable to road hazards. Apparently this is common, as the youngest son had a tire fail enroute to work while driving his 2017 Dodge Charger. Had to call roadside assistance and wait on a tow to the nearest tire shop... which did not have his tires in stock... We do this to ourselves...:rolleyes:

If all goes well, I should have photos of the finished "East End" later in the week.

In another section of the forum is a thread which contains a link to a video about one of the first female engineers (and her book). If y'all get a chance, take a look. I do recall when she came around, although I do not recall working with her.

Boris

Afternoon All,

Have done several chores today. I also was able to finally downsize some photos. That's not needed here but I'm a member of a builders forum that photo max size is approximately 1MB. Even the lowest setting on my phone doesn't come close to this. The other forum is where I got started building craftsman kits and scratch building. Looks like we will have a hurricane in the neighborhood come Tuesday and Wednesday. Currently it's scheduled to go ashore as a Cat 1 in the panhandle.

Toot- That is a big machine. Hopefully your new camera will work better for you.

Chet- Great pictures both 1:87 and 1:1.

My workbench

831615825_20181007_123733_resized_929251.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening y'all, figured I may as well check in here. It's unseasonably warm here just as it is in NC and NJ, but with my thyroid disorder [which makes me feel cold all the time] I actually enjoy it.

Just finished a project that took me way longer than I originally expected: Repainting, weathering and detailing the shell of a sound-equipped Walthers SD9. I started a separate thread about this self-inflicted ordeal adventure.

Toot - I really enjoyed those videos you posted about the Leibherr mega-bulldozer. I always loved watching heavy equipment in action - still do, actually!

Curt, my workbench looks like yours...for about five minutes, after I finish cleaning up from one project, until I get totally immersed in another one! Hope that Hurricane Michael doesn't impact your property too badly.

Wish I had time to 'shout-out' to every one of you, but I just type too dang slow and now I'm being summoned to the supper table. Take care!

Ken, FWIW, my wife is now constantly cold from her kidney problems.
At least she is no longer suffering from menopause.

It's oot 'n' aboot. (with compliments of Australia)
1538957557554.png

Looks like a spotting difference at the back. That could throw Athearn's production of, into doubt. They have never done any of the 4400 series, probably because of their Mexican differences (no racist intent therein). The fuel fillers another.

It would be nice to convery the old F-7 to DCC but anyone familiar with the old Athearn locomotives knows that there is no roon under the shell with the large weight inside.

Later

Chet, not impossible. Not at all.

KenL I wish I had your prob sometimes......sweated my tushie off mowing the lawn today, with the tractor!

puppypalooza went well yesterday. Happy bunch of boys!
Pooches 10062018.jpg

Mines the cute one in the middle, the other 2 are granddogs.

Howdy. ...

thanks to Boris, Chet, Curt , and others who commented on the photos of tri-levels being loaded in Lansing MI.

Chet. Your NP F’s look great. Thanks for the MILW photos. It must have been impressive to see the big electrics working in Montana.

Toot .. That is quite a bulldozer.

Karl. Nice to see the puppies.

IB Ken ... I’ll look for the thread about sound in an SD 9.

Good morning gang. 72 degrees and foggy this morning looking for a high of 80.
Let's be careful out there.

Good morning, it's foggy and 72 here, as well.
Ken, I wish I had known you were looking for SD9s, I sold three of them (Southern), two withTsunami sound for $250 for all.

Good Morning All. 73° and cloudy although the breeze coming through the windows seems cooler. Very high humidity for around here, 88%, not normally that high unless it's raining. That's coming around noon at 60% chance. Jump-starting the second bathroom remodel today since it's too wet outside to mow or other chores. "Shiplap" walls as I have described before. I am starting at the ceiling and working down so any unevenness or irregularity will end up behind the baseboard trim. Don't ask how I know that this is going to happen.:oops:
Finalized the plans for the yearly getaway to Gulf Shores AL taking place at the end of the week. We have experienced weak hurricanes there in two of the last three years, but Michael is going to go through just east and three days earlier. Leave Saturday morning around 0500, lunch in Lafayette LA (456 mi) around 1200, arrival in Gulf Shores (another 306 mi) around 1700, still in the Central Time Zone. No stops except for bathroom every two hours, gas once and lunch. May make better time because it's Saturday, Dallas and Shreveport traffic is usually not a concern even on weekdays, Baton Rouge is a bitch on weekdays at any time, and Mobile won't be an issue because it's Saturday. Most of the highway through TX, LA and MS is 75 mph. Trip home will be a two day one with stops at RR museums.
Out in the train shed, work on projects continues. I ripped out a 1.75" section of cross fencing that I was not happy with and replaced part of it, will finish that part today. Commenced to making some more trees over on the workbench and also re-numbered a covered hopper that has been waiting for me to finally get around to it. I have more round tuit's than I can get around.

Sherrel -
THAT KID WITH THE YARD BUSINESS
That would be Jesse. I.m hoping that his business picked up and that he will be back to join us soon. He disappeared last spring for a few weeks when he got busy. I am wondering more about David. You might have driven near him on this trip as he is in the Fresno/Merced area.
Chet - What a great picture of E57B. A true study of functionality over beauty.
Curt - A clean workbench is the sign of a sick mind!o_O
Ken - Good to see you back in the Coffee Shop. I have been keeping up with your other threads, wheel cleaning, SD9 rebuild, weathering; you have been staying busy.
Karl - Happy looking bunch of puppies.

It is Columbus Day, so don't go looking for mail today and your bank will probably be closed. Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning - I think it's maybe 55 out (didn't check, puppies woke me wanting to go out and smell stuff - I could see stars above) Just poured a first cup - Flo I'm ready for a refill - oh heck - just leave the pot.
We drove the rental car up the road called "Avenue of the Giants" for maby 50 miles making countless stops every few miles and walking in the trees. I really must say- It's a religious experience standing next too and looking up - seems as if they are almost out of sight! I'll make Johnny's statement and say, "I'll post pic later". lol

Jesse, That was his name! If I remember, he had a kid on the way but I cannot place just when it was?
Sure hope that everyone is OK?

CURT - Don't let anyone pull your chain! My next door neighbor - when we lived across town before - was NAVY - a navigator on a destroyer for somewhere between 20-30 years. If I am not mistaken, he was a few years older than I am.(he passed on about 10 years ago) and I used to marvel at his garage. I am serious that you could eat off the floor - nothing was miss screwed out of place and every tool had a place of occupancy. I envied him - but I could never emulate.
I asked him once if he was ever scared - he told me about going around the tip of S. America in a horrendous storm. He said that the whole ships company, captain included, swore they had come to the end of the rope.
He said he would have gone AWOL if he was to do that again. Said that he had been in lots of rough seas and storms, but nothing would compare with that.

BTW - Willie - I talked to DAVID Saturday afternoon. We talked for almost 15 min, but I swear that I cannot remember what was said. Anyway - he does like to talk - and we communicate quite often.

Good morning everyone. 71 and partly cloudy out there.

Had a couple of nice downpours over the weekend, adding maybe 3/4 inch of rain to the ground. Helps the grass seed I planted last week.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos of workbenches, messy or clean.

Garry - When I took those photos of my workbench, I was working on four projects at the same time: the DPM structure, finishing touches on a Merchants Row, a metal tractor, and some Insta-Fences. Actually started mixing up parts from different sprues (not deliberately), as well as not being able to find things at all. So it is time to clean things up a bit. Still haven't done it, though. Does thinking about it count?!
Willie - The guy who had that messy workbench you posted photos of over the weekend, the guy with the 16' extension ladder behind the door - - that guy owes his tolerant wife a big bouquet of flowers - - every month, I would think!!
Chet - Nice photos of your layout, as always.
Karl - Great looking pack of canines!
Toot - Sorry about the old camera. Sounds like you got a nicer one, even if it can't make the cab runs.

Here's a photo of the DPM structure I am almost finished with. I need to resize a sign for the big window on the right, print it off, and glue it in place. Named for a beloved (deceased) uncle of mine:

Al'sMarket1.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back