Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to update on the camera progress from last nights club test. It wouldn't work. Only just thought of it now, may need a reset. It didn't go through the prescribed procedure when first I charged it, or on the laptop USB connection at the club. Hope it's not a Dud, will report.
Well, I'm 99.99999% certain, it's a dud. Won't do anything now, gets warm while charging with no lights action indicating anything. So either the battery is kaput, or it's just bad all over.

Good morning gang
62 and sunny. Should be a great day as the Granddogs are coming to visit Bud. Puppypalooza!

Remember, it's made from Chinesium.
So's most of our trains too, if not all and everything. I'll see if I can get a replacement. I wonder if a genuine GoPro will fit onto the same bracket. Mind you, they're probably made in China as well. There's good stuff and bad stuff, I guess. The consumer these days is the quality control dept.

Good Morning All. Warm and muggy with mostly cloudy skies and 77° this morning. Forecast calls for four days of thundershowers beginning around mid-afternoon today. That will make for an interesting trip back home for all of the Okies who converged on North Texas yesterday for the annual Texas-OU football game later this morning. For a while yesterday evening, southbound traffic on nearby IH 35 was backed up for over 30 miles from a construction zone in Denton to the OK border. We know better than to venture into that drunken mess. According to a neighbor a few miles up the road who is a Highway Patrolman, that stretch was scheduled to have 14 Highway patrolmen and 8+ Sheriffs deputies from two counties patrolling it. OKC is about 2.5 hours north and one can consume a lot of beverages after getting out of class before getting this far. I heard on the news recently that college kids like to drink beer!
Fired up the mower for an hour or so yesterday ahead of the rain. Making initial preparations for our annual trip to Gulf Shores AL coming up. Doing something a bit different this time and we will be renting a four story, six bedroom house/condo directly on the beach with four other couples and a single gal. It has a heated pool and an elevator.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I made some major progress (for me) on the scenery in the latest project area. To recap, the area is a gradually widening strip of plywood about 50" long between the main line and the layout edge; that I am scenicking to be the back end of six or seven backyards. I have completed all of the fenceposts for the chain-link fence as well as most of the top rail and diagonal bracing for the cross-fencing. Along with continuing to add the fence mesh, yesterday I was able to landscape the first two yards with bushes, trees, additional ground foam and dogs. I also added rough vegetation and field grass between the fence and track. Too soon for any additional pictures yet, but they will be coming. Ran some trains to keep the rails clean.

Johnny - Exactly the reason that I paid someone to paint my ceilings! Walls are OK, and my wife does them. Rather typical workbench. Here's a couple of pictures that I took of a two-sided bench while on a home layout tour in 2014, makes yours look really clean.
train show 013.JPG

train show 014.JPG

This same fellow had used his entire second floor for his layout (including lines through the bathroom) and had a return loop that extended beyond a wall 14' above his high cathedral ceiling entryway. His wife actually allowed him to keep a 16' extension ladder against the wall behind the front door for access. I regret not getting that picture!
Chet - Interesting pictures of the airport. Looks like the VP was beating the snow. I like the box cabs as well as we didn't see anything like that here in TX.
Sherrel - Continue to have a safe trip, even though you're not leaving CA...at least not quickly!

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Good morning ...

Thanks again, everybody for comment about my moonshine still..... It was a still photograph.

Chet ... I like the MILW electric.

Willie .... I don't know how anybody could get any work done on a workbench as messy as that. .... Caption: "Where is that Kadee coupler spring? "... LOL

Some of you may be interested in these photos taken in the Mid-1980's.... The Oldsmobile assembly plant in Lansing, MI had loading ramps connected to the assembly plant and adjacent to the GTW main line . ... New Oldsmobiles could be driven directly onto auto racks from the assembly line.

43320639730_a505c5a247_z.jpg

30196025657_b03de6ed7c_z.jpg

Good morning. another cloudy day in Paradise. 65° with calm winds.

Willie: That sure makes my work bench look clean.

Garry: GM had some really extensive facilities for loading multi-levels. Linden NJ had 11 tracks with permanent buck loaders. Cars were driven out of the plant directly to the multi-levels. They could load 53 tri-levels without a re-set.

Chet:
Interesting photos of the VPOTUS visit. The MILW Motors were interesting.

Boris

Greetings from the Walmart lot in Ukiah where the puppies decided that it was time for their morning business at 5 am. They were glad to get out after all of us having a nice long sleep - my eyes still haven't fully focused from yesterday. So, here we are this am waiting for the store to open - we need to restock the cupboards and fridge and pick up a rental car before heading on north towards Willits and such. Spousal Unit wants to try the rental car to make side trips around in and to see if we really want to get serious about a toad for traveling around.

No one has a leg up on my workbench - it seriously looks as if an earth quake hit it several times.
Un fortunately most of it is not RR activity.

Will try and communicate when I can!
Hae a good weekend all.

Good morning. 37 degrees with an expected high in the mid 50's for today.

Ray
- Sorry to hear about the camera. The one I have is really a cheap piece of crap, but it did work, No quality at all, and directions that make Walthers kit directions look good. It took me a number of runs on my home layout to figure out how to get it to work. Hope you can come up with a replacement. I am looking forward to view a ride on your club layout.

Curt - Those police are from our sheriff department. I recognize a couple of them.

Willie - Glad to see that you are making scenery progress. Post some photos. Here's my work bench.

20181006_093647.jpg

Getting ready to start another project. Glad that mine isn't as big as yours. I would probably have a bigger mess.

Sherrel - Hope you pick up a dog brush while you are at Wal Mart. You can keep you California traffic right there. I can see why you and many others would rather be somewhere else. We took a side trip to Lake Tahoe when attending a bowling tournament in Reno and the hair stood up on the back of my neck when we crossed the state line into California. We quickly crossed back over into Nevada when we got to the lake.

Not going to the club tonight. Bowling was delayed last night as they are have a bowling for kids sake group before we got there and delayed starting about 45 minutes. For me, 9 PM is lights out and we didn't get home until well past 10 PM. The club open house runs till 10 PM and it is almost an hour trip back home. Getting old I guess. As soon as I get the laundry done I will be heading down to the train room to run some trains.

The rail p[icture for today is of the Milwaukee Road yard in Deer Lodge, MT. I can make out my relatives home in the upper left part of the photo.

Deer Lodge Yard Arial 2.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

I have goofed off all day and watchin the LSU/FL game. I'm a Gator fan but I think it's going to be ugly in the end for them. I did not get my kit in the mail today. I'm crying inside! :(. MOH is making homemade lasagna and Italian bread for supper tonight. Next Saturday is the annual skunk show and US Navy birthday...does it get any better than that?

I tried starting the truck today with no joy:mad:. It was trying hard but it just wouldn't turn over.

Toot- Sorry to hear about your camera.

Garry- Neat pictures.

Sherrel- Have fun. Our local Wally World has signs saying no parking overnight.

Chet- Nice picture of the RH and yard.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Overnight parking is not allowed anywhere in the state of Florida, unless it is in n RV park or campground. You can thank the Florida Campground owners lobbying efforts for that.

For the Bull Dozer fans. A Leibherr Mining Dozer, in fast frame. I particularly like the docking od the ship at the beginning and the testing of the blade hydaulics at about 5:00 mins.

Last edited:
Overnight parking is not allowed anywhere in the state of Florida, unless it is in n RV park or campground. You can thank the Florida Campground owners lobbying efforts for that.
TERRY -- That's a crock! There should be some guidelines, but it's unfortunate that mankind screws up everything in time.
We are in BENBOW - will stay here for 4 days and make side trips in the rental car. I may have to eat my words about CA. After we left Ukiah this morning, I have never seen such a beautiful World, and I have seen much of it in my life from Baffin Island in the North to Austrailure in the South, but I have never stood underneath a Redwood Tree such as I did this afternoon - a photo does not begin to capture such a magnificent sight - or feeling! MOH says that I have not seen anything yet? Her mother and father used to vacation with the 4 kids north of us here at Jedediah Smith Park - almost 200 miles further up - even her brother said that it is more beautiful!

Sherrel, Northern California is very beautiful, though nothing can overcome the problems emanating from the Southern part of the state. My sister in law and her husband recently moved to Nebraska from San Diego to get as far away from it as they could.

Of course, here we have the Summer That Refuses to Die. High of 86 again today, with humidity to match. Other than 3 days or so a couple of weeks ago, it continues to be almost Summer-like.

Damn, TERRY, I can think of about a thousand places I would rather be than Nebraska! Do they know what kind of winters they have around there? Do they know what kind of summers they have there? OK == Spring and Fall is tolerable!
As far as your weather -- my first wife was born in Sylvia, NC, and at the time had several relatives around there that we went to visit flying into Asheville back in the days of Piedmont. She still has an older sister who moved back there from Florida.

CURT - Sorry to hear about the truck problems. What infuriates me most about automobiles anymore is that it's impossible to even change a spark plug!

Good morning. It's cloudy and 72. The Summer That Will Not Die continues.

Sherrel, I know what the Winters and Summers are like there, that's why I'm here. They went there, because that's the only place they could afford to live after the husband retired, and California bled them dry.

I just bought another camera, somewhat larger, local ebay retailer, same type of mounting, but probably too big to fit into the one I mounted onto my cab. It's got a 30 day return and 12month warranty. 2-1/2 times the price, but still cheap compared to the genuine Go-Pro. Has 2 removeable batteries. Least I won't make the mistake of doing the mounting before trying out the camera this time. Will be too big for cab ride shooting, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back