Running Bear's October 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning shop folks!
It's 67 and very dark ... not a drop of moisture around here = although a few very scattered cloudbursts - maybe a dozen within a 70 mile radius?
Have to fetch the RV from the MIL's place and have it to the mechanic this morning to see what can be done about one of the leveling struts which is leaking a little hydralic fluid. I hope that if is just something that needs to be tightened up.
Couldn't sleep - woke up at 2 am. Another cup please Flo?

Semi follow up on the ProCab mini-cam fitting. The JB Weld I used didn't hold. I think, although I got it not all that long ago, it's old stock. I was quite surprised to see it here, considering the market is well served with epoxy 2 pack glues. So, I scraped it of and cleaned the contact areas and roughed them up a bit more and used CA. That stuck it quick. There are a couple of tiny, thin screws came in other parts of the kit that I'll drill holes for and add them for extra security.
I also found on the side of the box the camera came in that it does record audio. If I can figure out the Chinglish instructions, and I get to the club this Friday night, I might be able to give it a test, hope, hope. It has a single TV connecction wire (yellow plug) and plays in 16 x 9 format. The problem will be if the TV has a socket for that. Otherwise it's USB download, or viewing from that. Rechargeble battery records up to 60 mins to a micro SDHC UHS-I card. I got a 32GB, 98 MB/s, so should have plenty of space.
Here's the box it came in, if anyones interested once tested and proved.
IMG_5848.JPG
IMG_5849.JPG

And the camera itself
IMG_5850.JPG

Good morning everyone. 67 and clear out there.

Ray - How much did that SQ12 unit cost, if I may ask? Converted to US dollars, preferably. I agree that the GoPro's are pricey, and being a cheapskate (actually, I prefer the term "frugal") I'd like to have the cab ride recording capability without the high dollar investment.

Speaking of "suicide cables" I know their cousin, the "widow maker" shower. When we lived in Quito, Ecuador, the showers there had open wires connecting to the shower head to heat the water - no central water heater like in the US. All you had to do was bump your head against the shower head and - - - well, now you can see where the name widow-maker comes from.

From the train room and modeling bench - making progress on that DPM structure, which will be an IGA grocery store for "Town 2" (got to decide on a name for it). Promise to post photos when it's ready.

have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 68° and mostly cloudy. Headed for another mid-80's day like yesterday. A milestone day for me yesterday, as I go kicking and screaming into the twenty first century. Wife came home with a new cell phone, and a second one for me. I didn't ask for it, haven't needed it and begrudgingly accepted it. Took it to the restaurant last night but didn't receive any calls!o_O Almost took it out to start looking at it like everyone else in the place was doing, but chose not to. I think that she just wants to be able to call while I am out in the train shed and disrupt me. Not only that, but she spelled my name wrong when she registered it...both first and last!:confused: So back to AT&T today to get that fixed while she turns in her old phone. It is a Samsung Galaxy S9, I know nothing about its worthiness.
Meanwhile earlier, I did start to cut down one of the two remaining dead mulberry trees that I have left to do. Cut it down and trimmed off the branches until I emptied the chain oiler, my normal limit to avoid fatigue. Back today to cut everything into firewood size pieces and haul it to the woodpile. Noted that the wheat seed that I scattered in the yard to provide winter grass had begun to sprout. I spread it onto non-grassy areas under trees after the rains last week, and then walked on it to actually plant it. Reduces winter mud to track into the house.
Out in the train shed, I basically did the same stuff as the two previous days. Attached the two new freight cars to a train and ran some laps without incident.
09-30-18 001.JPG

Nice detailing on the Atlas boxcar.
09-30-18 003.JPG

The Athearn 65' mill gondola.
09-30-18 004.JPG

Not quite as detailed, but $10 less expensive.
09-30-18 005.JPG

Garry - Another fine picture of your urban scenery.
Johnny - I had to be really careful when building the train shed. I could have made it much larger, but I planned ahead and decided how large a layout that I could easily clean and maintain before I went overboard. Took advancing age into consideration as well.
Greg - Good luck with the telephone lines. My experiment with real .018" wire didn't work as planned, so I took it out. I will go back and use the Berkshire stuff eventually.

Time to move on. Everybody have a great day.

Ray - How much did that SQ12 unit cost, if I may ask? Converted to US dollars, preferably. I agree that the GoPro's are pricey, and being a cheapskate (actually, I prefer the term "frugal") I'd like to have the cab ride recording capability without the high dollar investment.
I got it from one of our online stores, it was on a promo sale for AUD$25 IIRC, reduced from about $60. $25 would be about $US18-19. I think Chet said he got his one for $US14, It may have just been the camera. His cab ride vid was good quality. I showed the box, in case anyone was selling them their too. It came direct from China.

Good morning ....

Coffee and a donut, please.... I'll be brief. Leaving shortly for another dental appointment.. :(

Greg, Curt, Sherrel, Willie, and any I missed .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Greg ... Your remarks were very kind. I was in Chicago Union Station many times as I grew up on the Burlington Route in the Chicago suburbs. I had many experiences. .... The Walthers Union Station kit is a downsized version of the CB&Q station in Omaha .

Johnny ..... Now, that is a hot shower !

Willie .... The boxcar and got look very nice.

Toot ... Thanks for sharing info on the camera.

Cheers !

Good Morning All. 68° and mostly cloudy. Headed for another mid-80's day like yesterday. A milestone day for me yesterday, as I go kicking and screaming into the twenty first century. Wife came home with a new cell phone, and a second one for me. I didn't ask for it, haven't needed it and begrudgingly accepted it. Took it to the restaurant last night but didn't receive any calls!o_O Almost took it out to start looking at it like everyone else in the place was doing, but chose not to. I think that she just wants to be able to call while I am out in the train shed and disrupt me. Not only that, but she spelled my name wrong when she registered it...both first and last!:confused: So back to AT&T today to get that fixed while she turns in her old phone. It is a Samsung Galaxy S9, I know nothing about its worthiness.
Meanwhile earlier, I did start to cut down one of the two remaining dead mulberry trees that I have left to do. Cut it down and trimmed off the branches until I emptied the chain oiler, my normal limit to avoid fatigue. Back today to cut everything into firewood size pieces and haul it to the woodpile. Noted that the wheat seed that I scattered in the yard to provide winter grass had begun to sprout. I spread it onto non-grassy areas under trees after the rains last week, and then walked on it to actually plant it. Reduces winter mud to track into the house.
Out in the train shed, I basically did the same stuff as the two previous days. Attached the two new freight cars to a train and ran some laps without incident. View attachment 30892
Nice detailing on the Atlas boxcar.
View attachment 30893
The Athearn 65' mill gondola.
View attachment 30895
Not quite as detailed, but $10 less expensive.
View attachment 30894

Garry - Another fine picture of your urban scenery.
Johnny - I had to be really careful when building the train shed. I could have made it much larger, but I planned ahead and decided how large a layout that I could easily clean and maintain before I went overboard. Took advancing age into consideration as well.
Greg - Good luck with the telephone lines. My experiment with real .018" wire didn't work as planned, so I took it out. I will go back and use the Berkshire stuff eventually.

Time to move on. Everybody have a great day.
Nice looking cars, Willie. The gondolas got good detailing, seperate grabs and brake chain, ribs are well done, rivets to check the number thereof, what more could you want.
The boxcar is a bit finer. If it's Genesis, watch out for those coupler cut bars and the side stirrups, come off easily.

Willie - Yu going to let us know your number? OR, just leave us hanging?
If you share - then let me know when you are going out to eat -- I'll call you just so you don't feel left out!

Good morning. A little late checking in. Had to go see the vampire to get blood drawn for my annual physical next week. Started the day off at 56 degrees with an expected high near 70 this afternoon. We better enjoy these temps as there is a possibility of snow in the forecast for next week.

We split a hog with our bowling partners and gave some pork chops a try on the grill last night. OUTSTANDING.

20181001_180213.jpg Can't wait to try a roast this weekend.

Sherrel - Enjoy the trip and post some photos. Looks like an interesting trip. Haven't been on that train. We have ridden on the McCloud River, but not that one.

Garry
- Sweet photo of Union Station.

Ray - I have seen that NASCAR video before along with many others. I am suprised that more drivers weren't seriously hurt of killed back then as they didn't have all of the safety equipment that is now in use. That camera is about the same size as the one I picked up on Amazon for 14 bucks. It did not come with an SD card that they wanted $20 for, but I had one from another application that worked.

20180809_173022.jpg

I also had to decipher what I could for the directions. I found out that it only recorded 5 minutes at a time and would start another 5 minute recording. When I took my cab ride video at the club, I had to download a video editing program (free) and managed to seamlessly splice the videos together.

Got thing to do so I have to get out of here.

Here is my rail photo for today. This one is for you Ray, taken along the Missouri river around Toston, MT south of Helena, MT.

19559625276_fbe6bac39d_b.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

We lost power for an hour today because some idiot drove into a power pole in the rain. Taking my truck to the shop tomorrow. I can't wait to see that bill for a gas leak and ignition issues:eek:.:eek:$$$$$$$:eek::eek:.

Two nights ago I joined a private submarine message board. You had to prove your submarine qualification to be accepted. No politics, no family, only submarine related postings. I've already computer talked with 2 previous shipmates. Computers sure make for a small world.

Toot- That looks like the Polaroid Cube I have. It's a 1" cube with a magnet base, uses a mini-SD card and does 1080 p video and has a 2 hour memory (I believe). It cost about $100.

Johnny- All the videos I have done are with the "cube".

Willie- Nice railcars. In a wife's had a cell phone is a leash.

Chet- Nice 1:1 picture.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet, thanks for the comments about your mini-cam. If this one takes pics and video as good as that, I'll be very happy. What video editor did you get, I've been looking. I did read something about short recordings, but the description was vague, now I know what to expect. Amazing place, Montana, so much empty land that's green! (well, looks empty). I knew you would have seen that NASCAR vid, I was lamenting the destruction of all those coupes, my dream cars when I was about 18. As far as injuries, deaths in those days, miracles come to mind. Saw one fatal happen right in front of me at stock car derby race in the 60's, on a 1/4 mile showground track. One car rode up over another and just flattened it.

Toot- That looks like the Polaroid Cube I have. It's a 1" cube with a magnet base, uses a mini-SD card and does 1080 p video and has a 2 hour memory (I believe). It cost about $100.
This one I have is no doubt a knock-off, so quality/longevity may be an issue. Proof of the pudding, I guess.

OK .. First: TOOT, I don't see a derail on Chet's track photo?

Second: CURT, Yeah -- guess that lets the cat outta the bag ? LOL .. I do remember my dad's P/U having the gas tank behind the seat. That does go back a ways!

Third: TERRY, glad you were not hurt (seriously)! I don't understand why that plug would have been hot? I don't understand the suicide bit? I made a double ended male cord in order to hook up my home generator, 3000 watt, to a household receptacle in order to supply electric power to the house grid in the early 90's when power would go out frequently around here. Worked great keeping the fridge going plus a few light circuits and computers. I always opened the main CB before using.

Fourth: Spousal Unit and I are heading for Northern CA later this week. Going to visit the Skunk RR for fun - they take dogs too!

Fifth: It's mostly overcast, 92 degrees and HIGH humidity today - not normal!
However, not a drop of rain around anywhere close.
SHERRELL When you visit the Skunk Train, if you end up in Ft. Bragg, the local club has an S scale, R/C model railroad behind the museum gift shop, across the tracks. And don't forget to check out the old trestle just north of there near Glass Beach.
Dave

Good morning everyone. 71 and mostly clear. Time for coffee and a piece of coffee cake.

Had the good old annual physical a week and a half ago. Was waiting for the bloodwork results. Everything is great EXCEPT blood sugar. So before I agree to oral meds, I'm trying some naturopathic approaches. Will track it over the next 6 months. Will let you know how it's going.

Ray - Thanks for that info on your camera.
Chet - nice cab ride video from your club. That's a great photo, too.
Willie - Nice freight car. Should we start calling you "Boxcar Willie"?

Not much from the trainroom and modeling bench - continue detailing the DPM structure and just "piddling around" with the scenery on the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 71° and clear. Mid-80's again today, rain resuming Saturday for a few days according to the forecast. Spent part of the day yesterday cutting up a tree for firewood and did a little fall cleanup work in the garden. Today I tackle that last dead Mulberry tree. I also sanded some more "shiplap" wood for the next bathroom remodel. I'm ready to go but can't until my wife finishes some prep work.
I made better than average progress on building the chain link fence yesterday in the train shed. I also started to add additional vegetation alongside the already completed end, weeds, vines and saplings. Completed a couple more Preiser figures and pulled out a new sprue of them to start. Over the years I have painted over 700 of them and still have around 120 unpainted ones left to do. Kinda wish that they would come out with a new batch with different poses.

Sherrel - Any effects in your area from Hurricane Rosa?
Garry - Thanks for the comment. That Atlas boxcar came with a small package of extra brake equipment, bolsters and uncoupling levers, that aren't needed for this car. The levers will find their way onto another instead. Second one is underneath the bolsters.
09-30-18 006.JPG

Ray - Thanks also. The gondola is really nice. It is a "drop-end" and the ends will lie down for oversize loads. The most fragile part of the boxcar is the door latch, but I just don't plan on picking it up too often.
Chet - Nice looking pork chops. I used to split a steer with a rancher friend that he raised in a "special pasture". I only stopped because it was too much after the kids left. I did raise a few hogs back then as well.
Curt - Thanks for the comment. While I am still a kit-builder at heart, some of the more recent RTR's really are packed with details. Good luck with the truck.
Johnny -
Willie - Nice freight car. Should we start calling you "Boxcar Willie"?
You can call me anything, but don't call me late for dinner.

My son told me that "Hell was going to freeze over now that I got a cellphone". I reminded him that he said the same thing about voting Republican, so since it has apparently frozen over, I expected to see additional votes for Ted Cruz, John Cornyn and Donald Trump in future elections.
Everybody have a great day. Be ready for the national Presidential Alert to be texted to all mobile communication devices at 2:18 pm Eastern time today. If this had been an actual alert...BOOM!:eek:

Photo of Cradle Mountain in the background in Tasmania from the Son's DiL's and grandson's continuing holiday
1538571766718.png

Grandson and another group in the pic

A relief map of the area and the walks and trails. Can't exactly tell you which is Cradle Mountain. Can't read the signs, but I'm guessing it's at middle top, but maybe not.
1538572203428.png

That bottom pic really strained the Forum's software, or the internet speed. Took ages to complete the download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back