Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me - I have to leave for a few minutes ... one of my dogs laying by my feet just cau a hum-dinger!

18waxj.jpg

Climate Change means exactly what it says: the normal climate is changing.
Absolutely, The simple truth.

The change is accompanied by more-violent weather (think when summer turns to winter).
To some extent that's true.

es, winters are colder than they have been
Here in Jersey that's really not noticeable, In fact this one, so far, has been more typical. Your experience may vary.

the current Polar Vortex is a distinct anomaly,
Very true, the last around here was 1994 - 1995, prior to that 1976 - 1977.

the raw numbers over the last century show that the heat extremes are greater than are the extremes of cold, globally, thus driving the average temperature higher.

It wouldn't surprise me, but we all know that statistics can be manipulated either way. So forgive my skepticism. Anomalies such as our recent rains, and the Polar vortex for example, tend to skew the averages. Certain conditions such as the shrinking Polar Ice cap, are hard to deny.

Boris

Sherrel, Karl, Beady ..... LOL

It wouldn't surprise me, but we all know that statistics can be manipulated either way. So forgive my skepticism.

Boris

I'm trying to stay out of this topic, but I'm glad you are skeptical about statistics which can be manipulated. ... All of the governments with climate change forecasts are using the same computer models, and they all have been proven to be wrong. ..... Enough said.

It wouldn't surprise me, but we all know that statistics can be manipulated either way. So forgive my skepticism. Anomalies such as our recent rains, and the Polar vortex for example, tend to skew the averages. Certain conditions such as the shrinking Polar Ice cap, are hard to deny.
Gonna take a hell of a lot of manipulation to skew it this much.
c63d7596-d8f3-482d-88ad-68cc501116d7-bestSizeAvailable.png

Sherrel, Karl, Beady ..... LOL

I'm trying to stay out of this topic, but I'm glad you are skeptical about statistics which can be manipulated. ... All of the governments with climate change forecasts are using the same computer models, and they all have been proven to be wrong. ..... Enough said.
Just Like a politican's promises!

UPDATE: USPS has suspended deliveries throughout Michigan until Friday.

Question: What do mail carriers do on these days? Paid days off?

Good Morning Everyone...in case you haven heard it's COLD! So cold that vodka is freezing in the bottles if are left out in the garage!

We have a lot of liquor bottles in one of the out buildings at the cabin...guess we'll have a bit of a clean up in spring if the bottles break. It's always colder up at the cabin. One year we when to the cabin up in winter and the temperature inside the cabin was 2 degrees. It took eight hours to warm the cabin up to 68 degrees. In the 30's by the weekend.

The Mrs. is going out to feed her birds.

Down to the layout shortly.

Today's the day to brake-in the 70 tonner since I didn't yesterday as planned. Yesterday, I did run three trains on the main line which is fun, but the layout isn't large like Willie's or Chet's. I may add a loop to the new freight yard, but maybe as a drop down section at an end.

Willie: You're structure with the add on reminds me of the old grain mills we had we I was young. The smell of the interior of the mills was very distinctive of the corn, wheat and other products stored in the building. Birds inside were numerous and loved the fallen products. Cats were common being keeping the mice and rat populations under control. I loved the wooden beams and floors in the mills.

There's an abandoned mill in a town called Eureka that I would like to scratch build.

Louis: I like the photograph of old number 13.

As Mark and Chet may confirm die hard snow mobilers will do runs at -30 degrees and think nothing about doing it. They are dressed for the winter weather and in northern Minnesota, Montana and Wisconsin people live and make the best of extreme low temperatures. Anyone ever watch "Life Below Zero" on cable television of the folks who live in Alaska and endure the extreme low temperatures. We were invited to a party in a town called Winter, Wisconsin and the temperature was -35 below zero.

Keep warm........

Greg

#######################

Boris you are right about the trees.
1548865673838.png

it's happening all over the world
1548865915069.png

These are old, it's happening even faster today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back