Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1548847154967.png

CGW S-1 13 at Goodhue Yard January 20, 1964 Walt Dunlap photo.

Good morning. It's very clear and 19, with wind out of the north at 40.
Yes, 40, with gusts to 55.

Mark I'm curious what you temperatures are this morning.

It's 21 with clear skies in Baltimore and for the record we got zero accumulation of snow from yesterdays impending disaster.

Louis two posts above where you asked, is my response to your question given even be for I knew you'd asked. Post #1234

Since the sun came up, the wind speed reduced somewhat. It's now 20, with stronger gusts.
NWS says it will go up again later in the morning.
There are some people scheduled to do an orientation of their new trailer this morning. It will be interesting, since I have a bad cold, and will be out in the cold wind, and part of the orientation includes a test drive. With 50mph winds...

Beady I admire you. It takes great courage to stick your head up out of our trench and brave the snipers from the other trenches.

Thanks to people like you, one day people will realize the ammunition of those snipers is not deadly.
Huh? What did I do?

Good morning y'all. A sunny and frigid morning here at in Jersey. Was 33 ° at midnight, 18° right now, but supposed to rebound to 30° with snow showers this afternoon. Tonight through Friday morning we will be partaking of Mark's weather. I'm supposed to drive to Northern New York state on Friday...:eek:.

Terry you hit the nail on the head! It's an extremely complex and can be confusing problem.[
/QUOTE]

That's science for ya. Different learned people researching the same subject with differing conclusions for a variety of reasons. That's why they were so sure in the 70s that we were about to enter into another Ice Age. Today, the process says something quite opposite. Every time the scientific community discovers something new, it leads to a new conclusion.

FWIW, "global warming" isn't exactly what it sounds like. It should be more descriptive, like, "hotter summers, colder winters, more violent weather". And "climate change" doesn't really cover it.

Terry, et all: There was a new observation that was published either in Bloomberg or CNBC last week that indicates that as traditional cold spots get warmer, some traditional warm spots get cooler. Some of this may be due to the decimation of the Equatorial Rain Forests, or not. Either way nature didn't gut the rain forests, people did. Economic interests place themselves as above public interest, and use some of their capital to try and control the debate. Today, for instance, may not be the best day to present and test drive a Motor Home, but the interest of closing the sale takes precedence. That's the way business thinks.

Science and Accademia, are also businesses, no matter how hard they protest to the contrary. They are always looking for that next research grant. Same goes for big medicine and any of the other "Boogiemen of Business". The reason I bring this up, is that the "greater good" often gets lost in the shuffle.

Hope that I don't scare anyone!:eek:

Scary, scary man! :eek: , but no scarier than the rest of us. :rolleyes:.

Garry: Sorry to learn that your MIL now has pneumonia. Praying for the best outcome, and that hopefully she will recover.

We really don't have any plans for today, except preparation for our upcoming trip. That means I may devote some of my time to modeling.

For all of you currently living near Frostbite Falls, MN and environs, take precaution and stay warm.

Boris

Penn Central caboose 4700 and a second caboose, both part of an odd caboose pool kept separate by PC for express train use, at Union Jct. Tower, Penn Station in Baltimore, April 1971, by Warren E. Olt.

I don't know what was odd about PC 4700 and class mate. Many N5 and N8 Cabins were used in "Passenger " service systemwide. They had roller bearing trucks, and some N8 Cabins had cushion underframes also. They were a regular part of Maryland Division train 403, which was a Passenger, Mail and Express train between Philadelphia and Washington. Two separate blocks of M&E were doubled together and placed on the rear of the train. Because of this the train actually often carried two cabins, in addition to the coach. Eastward train #22, the Manhattan Limited, normally carried a block of express with Cabin, between Philly and New York Penn. This block cut off at Hudson, before the train entered the tunnel to NYP.

Since the photo was taken during daylight hours, in April, it was probably the short lived Mail train between Baltimore and Philadelphis, that handled mostly ex NYC Flexi-vans and ex PRR X29 box cars used in passenger service.

Union Junction, at the North (St. Paul Street) end of the Station in Baltimore had the distinction of being the only Interlocking Tower on the PC to be manned exclusively by female Train Directors. It was also known as "Petticoat Junction", after the TV show which featured the Hooterville Cannonball.

The hydrant and hose in the foreground of the photo of Union Junction, was used to replenish water on passenger service locomotives, (mostly GG1s).

Boris

Minus 0.2 and falling, this morning. The State and city governments are shut down again, with continuing states of emergency for both.

Climate Change means exactly what it says: the normal climate is changing. The change is accompanied by more-violent weather (think when summer turns to winter). In the current case, the average global temp rises. Yes, winters are colder than they have been, but (1) the current Polar Vortex is a distinct anomaly, and (2) the raw numbers over the last century show that the heat extremes are greater than are the extremes of cold, globally, thus driving the average temperature higher.

Good Morning All. +35° and mostly cloudy here this morning. While it's chilly here, it's 75° warmer than Polar Vortex Central right now. If I lived there, I would have to get a newfangled furnace instead of my old woodburner! I made a crockpot full of chili yesterday, my first attempt without using a recipe or that "Three Alarm" stuff. It was a "chunky" style and I chopped up a 2.5 pound chuck roast into 1/4" cubes and went from there. Even my wife liked it.

Thanks for the comments on yesterday's pictures, Louis, Chet, Sherrel, Joe, Curt, and anyone else that I may have missed.
Here's a few more shots of the meat/vegetable market from a different angle, which includes views of the adjoining abattoir, (fancy word for slaughterhouse).
1-29-19 003.JPG

1-29-19 006.JPG

1-29-19 008.JPG

Yes, the paint and askew doors are intentional. I can't wait to get some ground cover/scenery and some additional details into the whole scene.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I did a bit more detailing of some of the other structures destined for this as yet unnamed town. While at the workbench, I also continued a bit of work on two other structures there that are not intended to be in this scene.

Louis - Yes I do have a propane delivery truck but he's delivering in another town right now. Propane is very popular in the rural areas here and in the area that I model, and there are actually dozens of tanks on my layout.
Crazy?! Coming from the man who has never been to a MacDonald's
I partly attribute my good health to the fact that I have never eaten at a McDonalds, and haven't eaten at any other fast-food outlet in over 40 years, except for Whataburger occasionally!
Curt - You are really doing an outstanding job on the farm store. I really like the look of additions being added to the structure over the years, very typical of rural businesses here at least.
Garry - Continued prayers for your MIL.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, everybody. ....

13F here.... Some snow on the ground. .....

Louis and WIllie.... Thanks for the thoughts and prayers regarding my MIL.

Louis .... You posted some great old photos . The CGW branch line way freight reminds me of many such trains on the CB&Q. The Pennsy electric was remarkable because I rarely see a photo of a clean PRR locomotive.

Willie .... You are great at including details in your buildings. Tony's is an example.

Joe .... You mentioned female employees in interlocking towers. .... Here is one on the Burlington in a Chicago suburb.

39407458055_e1c7480ec1.jpg

39407441195_acc0ce28f5.jpg

Last edited:
Starting myday off at 50 degrees with currently overcast from the coastal effect. The high today is forecast to be 71 - a repete from yesterday. I noticed the Silverton, CO temp is a minus 18 - and hometown, Arkansas is 28 (that's cold there!)

YES, LOUIS -- You win the bubble gum this morning - IT"S GOLF!!!! I can still visualize the day that I walked over to the 55 gallon trash barrel on the golf course in Albuquerque and deposited my entire bag of clubs - then threw my shoes in on top! I have not picked up a club from that day except for an occasional Minature Golf game with the kids, or Gkids.
We have members in our Bunco Club who LIVE by the game and play, I kid you not, everyday that it does not rain!
I probably could have done better if I had really, really tried, but I had rather spend my time "building" something than chasing a little white ball which was hard to find much of the time. I could hit the ball either 100 yards or 10 yards ... take your pick ... I never knew which one it would be. I subscribe to the theory professed by my father that only guys with little bitty balls play golf.

Excuse me - I have to leave for a few minutes ... one of my dogs laying by my feet just cau a hum-dinger!

-2 and falling. The snow that fell over the last 36 hours is blowing all over the place. The weather is so bad that USPS has suspended deliveries for the day.

Good morning. 14 degrees and clear skies with a high forecast in the mid 30's. Those of you about to be slammed with the frigid weather, throw another log on the fire and stay warm.

thumbnail_image1.jpg
Louis - Another great series of photos. This C&O streamline photo Thumb up.gif Being a fan of electrics, I really like the 4700. Joe , Thanks for the input on the 4700. Reminds me of the Milwaukee Road box cabs. I was watching "Mysteries of the Abandoned" on the Science channel and they did a great story on the Baltimore Shot Tower. Glad that they were able to keep it from being torn down. Too much history there.

Ray- I have seen that "Executive" SD70MAC in Livingston.

Curt - The build is coming along nicely. Getting close to the finish line.

Willie - Nice T shirt. Beats my "Shay Racing Team" shirt. The photos of Uncle Tony's are sweet. Nice detail work.

Did get to run trains for quite a while yesterday and thing that is the plan for later today.

Here's a rail photo for today.

gleise-3677098_960_720.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back