Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Morning gents,
56 and continuous rain since early yesterday morning.
I never checked in last night did I. We even had lightening and thunder a few times yesterday afternoon.
I finished the kitchen completely by mid-afternoon!!!! Yay!!!!
I'll finish sanding the fancy dining room today and at least get the primer coat on. It's going to go slow I know because we've decided to save the wall paper which means I'll need to do a LOT of cutting in (by hand of course). We have 6" crown and 6" chair rail moldings.
E

Good Morning All. Just stopped raining temporarily, and 48 degrees here. Temperature is not supposed to change until tomorrow when it goes back to 60. Looks like about 1" of rain so far with some more on the way. Nothing like a good rain to make the garden grow. Looks like a whole day in the train shed for a change. Wife is off work today so we might go to the grocery store or I might let her go alone. I don't need beer so it is OK!
Curt - Good job on the truck. One suggestion if I may, a little more dirt around the wheel wells. Maybe I just can't see it in the photo.
Joe - Dang, in my rural county they call 60 at a time, maybe once a month and most don't even show up! I've been called only once in the last 20 years. If you don't show up, they just keep calling until you do. They're pretty loose.
Chet - I'm sure that you are in the air right now, but still have a safe flight.
Karl - Lumber load and flatcar look good.
Ken in MD - Nice looking F-units.

Everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Joe .... The GP9B looks good, and it's good to see your layout progress. ...... Jury Duty? I remember doing that.
Curt ..... Really like the fuel truck. Nice job.
Karl ... Your lumber load looks great. Sounds like it was a tedious job.
Ken .... You did a great job with the B&O F units.
Chet ... Thanks for your thoughts about my damaged mirror. Since we returned, I have not had time to deal with it. (No model railroad time either.) The truck has spent recent days in the garage and it still has an abundance of Michigan road salt all over it. Hope to work on it soon.

Speaking of F-units, I detailed a unit to look like C&S 700D. (Colorado & Southern was a CB&Q subsidiary, and their locomotives were painted like CB&Q units.) ... 700D was built by EMD as an F7A. In the late 1950's it was in a head-on collision with a passenger train. The passenger E7 was destroyed and scrapped. Pieces of 700D were sent to EMD where it was rebuild into an F9Am.

I made a model of 700D as the rebuilt F9Am with a Stewart F9A. Normally I operate my 700D with a Stewart F3B which I also detailed and painted as Burlington. I had a photo of this engine in MR's Trackside Photos a few years ago.

cswreck.jpg

700Dtunnel.jpg

Good Morning guys, 25 and cloudy today.

Big E--I wish we had lightening and an all day rain, wash some of this dirty snow away!

Good morning. We are presently in the air, with very slow wi fi on the plane. It feel good to finally be headed home. Yesterday when I went to Ocala, I was looking for a hobby shop that I had visited last year, called Trains of Ocala, but apparently it has either moved or closed. I then stumbled onto Rob's Hobby World. They did have trains, but were also into R/C planes and cars also. I wasn't impressed.

Curt - Nice job on the fuel truck. Really nice.

Garry - Thanks for the photos. Must have been a heck of a ride on the E unit.

Ken - I really like the work you have done on the B&O units. Of course I am a bit partial to the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee Road, but I have always like the looks of the B&O during the transition era. I think the Capitol Limited was one of the nicest looking passenger train on the rails at the time. At one time I had thought of modeling the B&O but my knowledge of the railroad was not very good.

This slow wi fi sure makes you appreciate high speed internet. Next stop is Burlington, IA to drop off a passenger, have lunch and take on fuel.

Good morning. 40° and raining. Stock market is down again. Such is Tuesday.

Garry: Interesting wreck photo, and again, a great job on the F9.

Willie: No such luck. Monmouth is a large county, partially rural, partially urban, partly residential suburban bedroom, and partially resort, with approximately 800,000 people. As you might imagine, NJ is a very Litigious State, with a fair amount of crime, mostly limited to the urban areas. I can figure on a jury summons every five to six years.

Chet: Hope the rest of your journey home is safe and pleasant.

Chet, Trains of Ocala has closed.
I think they were a subsidiary or Tex N Rails, which I haven't done business with in years, and their website doesn't seem to be up to date or working correctly.
The next time you are in that area, you can try Dan's Train Depot near Ocala. They also have a large Ebay presence.

Eric: I think yours an my peaceful rain is about to turn ugly. Looks like you and I will be in for some thunder bumpers and maybe a tornado tonight. Dang, why do these things always come after dark! Keep the hatches battened.

Eric: I think yours an my peaceful rain is about to turn ugly. Looks like you and I will be in for some thunder bumpers and maybe a tornado tonight. Dang, why do these things always come after dark! Keep the hatches battened.

Roger that pardner! I heard on the radio a while ago, they were cancelling all evening after-school activities in your area on account of developing tornadic potentials. Not so much here but we do have flash-flood watches/warnings out until 2200 tomorrow night.
Hunker down!!
E.

Evening All,

Last night I felt my cold coming back on (3rd time) so I took some Nyquil and went to bed. I got up today around 11 AM and have felt blah all day.

Rex/BigE- Hope you guys stay dry.

Karl- Excellent weathering and load.

Garry- Great photos.

Chet- Glad you made it home safely.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Eric .... Hopefully, mine don't have such a wreck !

Chet .... It was a tragic collision with fatalities of loco crew members.

Regarding Joe's GP9B, I'm reminded of some that ran on the CB&Q. Burlington owned none of them, but they pooled locos with other roads.

Below you can see a PRR GP9B with Burlington GP30's in Chicago. The second photo has three UP GP9B's between a Burlington GP20 and a UP GP20.

prr%20cbq_zpspcxxf94f.jpg

up%20cbq_zpsasoeduth.jpg

Good evening shop dwellers!

Muchos gracias to all of you for the kind words about my F7 photo. That's one of the few earlier ones where the camera's auto-focus actually worked.

Karl - what era is that flatcar with your homegrown lumber load? I could use a few of those for the 84 Lumber industry on my layout...

Eric/Rex (and Carey if your reading this) - I'm praying that all of you escape the destruction that the weather guessers are predicting for your region! Rex, I still remember that evening ~5yrs ago when I was watching live video of a gigantic EF5 on TWC, and Greg Forbes said it was in Tuscaloosa...!:eek:

Well, any thoughts I had about mrr-related activities have been put on hold. SWMBO thinks we are getting a tax refund and is pressuring me to do the taxes. I, OTOH, have a natural dread of this activity because ever since 2009 we have always owed money to the IRS!:mad: I increased the withholding amount on my salary but I'm not sure if it will be enough. On top of that, there's been a flood of 1099's coming in for miscellaneous small jobs that SWMBO did (and nothing withheld) - not sure how those will impact the bottom line. So between now and Saturday, I'm gonna be gathering as much 'defense' documentation as I can find, so I can put this annual heartburn behind us.

P.S. -
Curt I hope you get better quickly!

Garry, I've always loved seeing prototype photos of CB&Q diesels in the Chinese Red scheme - thanks for posting them!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ken.
Yeah, we don't need a repeat of another big tornado like that day. Even with all the construction going on, there are still many areas that are bare reminders.

Good afternoon fellow rail setters & spike drivers,

A lot of great photos posted, thanks.

Curt: Your Hill Crest fuel truck looks good.

Garry: The proto wreck is really something. Can you imagine being the engineer knowing you can't get your train stopped in time. Holly crap, I guess they must head back in the other units to try and avoid injury? Joe might be more aware of what goes on.

Your other shots, such a your layout shot looks real good too!

Hope all have a good day and a safe one.

Karl - what era is that flatcar with your homegrown lumber load? I could use a few of those for the 84 Lumber industry on my layout...

Ken, I think they are a slight bit too modern for you, as my car has a stencil BLT 6-83 . I really couldn't find any date data online. Prior to these cars, maybe lumber was shipped unwrapped in boxcars?

Garry , Those last two photos of the 30's sandwiching the GP9b and the Uncle Pete "cabless" loco's has to be the best modeling I have seen from you at this ti me!

You Guy's stay safe down there in the "promised land"!

Chet. Enjoyed your travel log.

Curt .. Great job on the truck. Doesn't look like the same model.

Ken .. Great looking cab units. The BO did have a really good looking colors and display.

Karl. Your lumber wraps look good. Man, that's a lot of work!

Hope I didn't forget anyone?

Good evening. 37° and raining with a strong "breeze". To those in the severe weather zones, "Stay Safe".

Garry: Those GP9Bs were everywhere. Only had them once. We were supposed to detour around a wreck one afternoon, and had a consist of a GP9, plus two GP9Bs. Had to wye them first. They were quite interesting. It might be my perception, but the GP9B seemed to run the best with other Gp9s or GP30s.

David: Head on collisions are the worst possible scenario a crew member will ever have to deal with. The consequences are never good. All too frequently, the cause is a crew nodding off to sleep while enroute, although that's not by any means the sole cause. Over the years, I have investigated only one head on collision, that was caused by dispatcher error, routing a train against the current of traffic, against another train running on the same track with the current of traffic. I have also investigated several rear end collisions. Their outcome is also always bad. When one works shift work or over the road transportation at odd hours that interfere with the body's circadian rhythm, chronic fatigue develops. It comes with the turf, and there is no real solution to it. I'm thankful, I was never personally involved in one.

Curt: Get well.

I have to report tomorrow for jury duty, along with 699 others. :mad:They have 800 more victims scheduled to report on Thursday. My count is that they burned through 2600 jurors since Monday. Criminal Trials have 12 plus 2 alternates, I'm not sure about civil trials in NJ. Last time I actually was selected for a trial jury, and the trial lasted two days, time before that I got kicked off of two juries in one day. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper, but there ain't a whole lot I can do about it.

Later.

Back