Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Evening All,

Did some cleaning around the house today. We had a home inspection today and when the guy saw the layout he was amazed. He even took a picture of it. Tomorrow I have a VA blood draw and MOF is volunteering at the school. Thanks for the well wishes about my cold, it's the first time that a cold has kept coming back.

Garry- I always like pictures with Pennsy motive power in it!

Terry- Glad you are OK. That sounds like it was pretty scary.

Chet- Nice job on the signage. It really makes a difference.

BigE/Rex- Glad you guys made it through the night without issue.

I hope everybody has a good night.

Chet,
I remember very well ordering from the Sears catalogue store in town.
Cool signage work though.
I'm curious how you're going to work a Hooters into your era however.
Maybe you could set aside just one little corner off the beaten path and fit it in.
I just got a Walthers catalogue today and they have a cool Budweiser on page 61.
And on page 60 there is two Milwaukee Road signs. I believe they are lighted.
At that price, they better be!!!
E.

I ended up running the slideouts in to minimize the surface area, and wind pressure. The trailer was moving around pretty good during the height of the incident, and moving to a real building was more dangerous than staying put.
Damage around the property looks to be minimal.

By slideouts, I assume you mean the roll out awnings. If so, keep'em in on take-off but extend when making your landing in Kansas.

By slideouts, I assume you mean the roll out awnings. If so, keep'em in on take-off but extend when making your landing in Kansas.
No, a slideout is a room that extends from the side or end of a trailer or motorhome, increasing living area when parked. It "slides out" of the RV, hence the name.

Good afternoon rail workers and spike drivers,
Hi Flo & Francine, Things look like they're busy here at Jeffreys' Dinner. How about a slice of the Pizza and some coffee.

Is a nice warm sunny day here in the Central foothills of Calif.
Clear
72.3 °F
Feels Like 77 °F

Wind from West

Today
High -- | Low -- °F
--% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High -- | Low -- °F
Precip. -- in
Pressure 30.09 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 77 °F
Dew Point 47 °F
Humidity 40%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.

> >

Say Joe: I guess I misread what you wrote as upon reading it again carefully I see where you said only once was it dispatcher error. Naturally if the crew all nodded off and no one watching what was going on that's a disaster in the making for sure! But also you mentioned, working odd hours, and depending what they had been doing prior can also lead to being drowsy and dossing off which can be deadly to say the least especially in the case of a head-on collision. A rear end collision can also be very bad I'm sure especially if a Crummy is involved with several crew aboard.

About a month after the fatal collision involving C&S 700D, the C&S had another fatal collision. This time it was with FW&D 750A which was another F7A and C&S 828, an SD9 which were the lead units of two trains that collided head-on. ... EMD rebuilt FW&D 750A into an F9Am just like the rebuilt C&S 700D. ... C&S 828 was rebuilt by EMD, and it then became the first SD9 to be painted in the Burlington Chinese red paint scheme. ... In the photo, 750A was loaded in pieces onto flat cars. 828 could be towed on its own wheels.

fwd%20750A_zpsd1zcvou5.jpg

Garry: It good to hear that the C&S had some standard gauge operation, I assumed they did as I recently bought a couple of Model Die Casting box cars with the C&S logo on them off ebay. I was trying to do a search on the web for the C&S's standard gauge trackage in the 1890 to early 1900's but didn't find much. But knowing that they produced them was a very positive indication they did indeed exist.

The F700D unit cab and front end on the flat car seem to indicate that the SD9 must have hit them from the side or a severe angle? But of course the other side isn't shown. Not a nice sight to look at. On the SD9, do you have any idea what the round thing is that look like a big funnel sticking forward?

Good Morning All. Colder at 38 degrees this morning. It rained 1.7" yesterday, about twice what I was hoping for. Never got above 48 yesterday, will return to the 60's and 70's this week. Grass will grow, trees will bud and leaf out.
Garry - Beautiful picture of your 700-D.
Joe - Good luck with the jury duty.
Curt - I said it before and you didn't listen, but get well soon.
Ken in MD - Good luck with the taxes. My wife is a Blockhead (H & R Block) and she deals with it daily. I have to hear about it every night.
David - My friend who drives for BNSF says that he has had "drop & roll" training to get off trains when there is time. Not always possible in some terrain though. There you just keep going back through units and pray. "His" regular train washed off the tracks about 5 miles east of here last May; but fortunately for him, he was logged off for a wedding that night.
Rex/Eric - Good to see that you both survived the weather intact.
Have a great day everyone.

Willie

Say Willie: That's probably good training if they can make use of it, depending on the terrain as you state.

Warmed up to 45 degrees this afternoon. Got some work done for the layout. Started putting up some signs on the businesses in town. The first is the Silver Star Diner, which is right across from the passenger station and one on the Montana Motor Supply Co, which is a real business locally and has been arond since the wheel was invented.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The next two are the Sears Catalog store. In Montana, many communities were too small for an actual Sears store so they did put in catalog stores and carried some popular items, but were not full size stores. The second is Vanns Radio, TV abd Appliance. This is also named after a local business which was around the area for decades.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have also been working on the Walthers Sand towers for the yard area. Took a break from that because I find working with very small parts a bit more difficult than it used to be.

Terry - I was wonder how long you could swim.

Say Chet: Signs sure do add to the scene alright, looks like your doing a nice job alright.
One thing I noticed about all the cars you have in your towns is that there owners keep them in like new condition!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening. 62°, with heavy rain and strong winds.

Chet: I like what your down town looks like with the signage.

Spent the day at the courthouse. Of course, when the first group of 60 was called, I was among the group :mad:. We spent the entire day in jury selection. At the end of the day the jury was still not complete. Of course, lucky me, my chances of being kicked off the jury are diminishing. The prosecutor is satisfied with the make-up, so my only hope is the defense counsel will decide that I shouldn't be on the jury. At least one more juror position to pick. 12 jurors and 6 alternates. On the bright side, the judge advised that normally once the trial starts, court will run Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. NJ doesn't sequester. :rolleyes:

Maybe I can get back to building the railroad over the "long" weekend.

Good evening.

Chet ... Those are very nice downtown scenes with vehicles.
Joe ... When I was on Jury duty, there were extra jurors who were excused at the end of the trial. It was a random selection of who was excused, and I was one of the ones to be excused.
David ... It was a head-on colision. I suspect the F7 cab was split apart by the narrow front hood of the SD9. I was wondering about the round thing too. It ended up where the cab used to be. I suspect it is the steam generator that belongs in the missing short hood and laying on its side.
Rex ... Your in AL, and I am going there this weekend to see family. They are in Vestavia Hills. I won't be in Tuscaloosa.

Late Nite All,

Chet,
I remember very well ordering from the Sears catalogue store in town.
Cool signage work though.
I'm curious how you're going to work a Hooters into your era however.
Maybe you could set aside just one little corner off the beaten path and fit it in.
I just got a Walthers catalogue today and they have a cool Budweiser on page 61.
And on page 60 there is two Milwaukee Road signs. I believe they are lighted.
At that price, they better be!!!
E.

An appropriate substitute for an Owl shop might me Molly's Baudy House?

Good evening. 62°, with heavy rain and strong winds.

Chet: I like what your down town looks like with the signage.

Spent the day at the courthouse. Of course, when the first group of 60 was called, I was among the group :mad:. We spent the entire day in jury selection. At the end of the day the jury was still not complete. Of course, lucky me, my chances of being kicked off the jury are diminishing. The prosecutor is satisfied with the make-up, so my only hope is the defense counsel will decide that I shouldn't be on the jury. At least one more juror position to pick. 12 jurors and 6 alternates. On the bright side, the judge advised that normally once the trial starts, court will run Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. NJ doesn't sequester. :rolleyes:

Maybe I can get back to building the railroad over the "long" weekend.

If Craby Joe, happens to be prejudical in one way or another it would probably be an immediate dismissal? Live up to your name! LoL

Good evening.

Chet ... Those are very nice downtown scenes with vehicles.
Joe ... When I was on Jury duty, there were extra jurors who were excused at the end of the trial. It was a random selection of who was excused, and I was one of the ones to be excused.
David ... It was a head-on colision. I suspect the F7 cab was split apart by the narrow front hood of the SD9. I was wondering about the round thing too. It ended up where the cab used to be. I suspect it is the steam generator that belongs in the missing short hood and laying on its side.
Rex ... Your in AL, and I am going there this weekend to see family. They are in Vestavia Hills. I won't be in Tuscaloosa.

Garry I guess that's as good an answer anything as I ave no idea.

Good Morning All. 40 degrees and clear this morning in North Central Texas. Because of the unusual mild and warm weather that we have been having around here for the past month, I wasn't spending much time in the train shed. That changed Tuesday and yesterday with the rain. I spent a lot of time cleaning and straightening stuff up. Cleared some tools and supplies off the layout so I will not be able to find them next time. The make-shift workbench still looks like Fred Sanford's yard though.
Terry - Sounds like a scary time. Glad that you are safe.
Chet - Signs are looking good.
David -
Say Willie: That's probably good training if they can make use of it, depending on the terrain as you state.
They never really want to make use of it.

Found NG on another forum that I rarely visit. He's already making friends. He's not going by NG.
Anyone got an update on Tony or Louis yet?
Have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning. It's cloudy and 42.

View attachment 55975
Morning. 32 degrees, 12" of snow overnight, and counting.

I've finally finished sorting through all of my train purchases over the past three years and, sacred bleu! [/] have I over-bought. I've already unloaded all of the "arty" construction and scenery stuff (I'm going strictly sectional and tabletop, with movable buildings, trees, etc). I've been converting my freight rolling stock to knuckle couplers, but I just realized that I've got far more than I'll ever need. Luckily, the nearest train store is liberal about taking trade-ins.

Next project is to get the furniture that's in storage in the basement moved out of the way so I can move in two 6' tables (if anyone wants a 1920s dining room suite, cheap, call me). These first two will probably be side-by-side (ie, 6'x5'), so the initial layout will be more-or-less circular, with turntable, yard and whatever else in the middle. Other tables will be added later as the whim takes me, plus there will be a staging yard off to the side.

All this is going to be DC, and the track work is all Kato unitrack; I'm an idiot when it comes to electricity, and Kato's plug-n-play concept is a godsend. The only handiwork I'm planning is an attempt at some Downtown Deco; I've developed a bit of an old - man tremble in my thumbs that makes anything else impractical.

Overall, this is going to be a fantasy layout. I've been collecting whatever strikes me as unusual and whimsical. Flatcar loads include disassembled WW2 aircraft; I bought MTL's Groom Lake Belt Line; scenery will include people mooning the trains (some will be mooning from the trains), Noch Sexy Scenes, etc.

Sorry to run-on, but this has been the first that I've sat down to try and organize my thoughts.

Oh crap!

Good morning all. 31 degrees to start off the day. I did manage to get the sand towers built last night. I didn't know which color I wanted to paint them. I was down to either silver or black. Ended up painting them black as I have seen real ones in black. Here in the photos I set them in place to see how they look.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still a bit undecided on the color, but I would like to get all of the items needed for the engine terminal put in so I can start detailing the area.

Eric - We still have a Sears catalog store in Bozeman, which is the largest town near us. They do have a few appliances, tools, outdoor power equipment and such in the small store, but for the most part still a catalog store.

Joe - Good luck on jury selection. I managed to get out of my last request for jury duty. Guess it was because I am ex law enforcement and they had a number of criminal cases they were needing jurors for.

Don't know if I'll have any time to work on railroad projects today. Have to head to town and get caught up with a few home projects that came up while I was in Florida.

Don't squat on your spurs cowboys.

Good morning, 16 and sunny. It got above freezing yesterday and with the sun that came out later on in the day we lost a bunch more snow. Actually heard a song bird in the early evening!

Chet--really nice work on the sand towers

Beady--sounds like you havea lot of fun in store for you! I didn't realize that hobby stores took trade ins

Curt--I am just getting over my cough and congestion issue. Ready to get back down to the train room and finish up my layout extension project. Getting a little tired of the construction zone that I have going on down there.

While working on the layout, I made a few purchases that I will be assembling, a couple magnuson truck models and a Walthers "midtown oil" kit. Not sure where the kit will go but I really like it.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning all. 31 degrees to start off the day. I did manage to get the sand towers built last night. I didn't know which color I wanted to paint them. I was down to either silver or black. Ended up painting them black as I have seen real ones in black. Here in the photos I set them in place to see how they look.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still a bit undecided on the color, but I would like to get all of the items needed for the engine terminal put in so I can start detailing the area.

Eric - We still have a Sears catalog store in Bozeman, which is the largest town near us. They do have a few appliances, tools, outdoor power equipment and such in the small store, but for the most part still a catalog store.

Joe - Good luck on jury selection. I managed to get out of my last request for jury duty. Guess it was because I am ex law enforcement and they had a number of criminal cases they were needing jurors for.

Don't know if I'll have any time to work on railroad projects today. Have to head to town and get caught up with a few home projects that came up while I was in Florida.

Don't squat on your spurs cowboys.

Dang Chet, looks like we got the same fueling facility as well. Even painted our shut-off valve wheels the same red.
I still haven't decided on a color for my tower. Plus I still need to do something about the tower supports which means also doing something about the fill lines. My tracks are too far apart.
E.

Montanan: Been meaning to ask, but do you go by the same alias on any other forums? There used to be a Montanan on a gun forum I used to hang out on.

Oh crap!

Logandsawman: It's not a "Hobby Shop," it's a model train store. Big difference. Generally, he gives me 50% of what he plans on selling them for, and charges me his full selling price. Technically it's not a good deal for me, but it saves me the hassle of selling online. Besides, you really wouldn't believe how much I over-bought. I've taken him two loads already, and I'm working on a third.

Oh crap!

Good afternoon everybody ..

Chet ...... I like your locomotive terminal. .... Also, I like the RS1. .... The last two RS1's built were purchased by GTW RR, and I used to see them when I was in Detroit.

Regarding NG ... He has a lot of friends here in the Coffee Shop, and I wish he would return. If somebody is in contact with him, they may ask him to consider coming back.

Regarding NG ... He has a lot of friends here in the Coffee Shop, and I wish he would return. If somebody is in contact with him, they may ask him to consider coming back.

I figure I live only about 5 miles from him, but we never exchanged contact info. I wouldn't worry, though; he seemed to like it here too much to be gone long.

Oh crap!

Back