Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

Morning Gents,
Talked to Chet last night. He's having a blast of course.
57 and rain here all day heading to high of 66.
Rain will be here through Wednesday.

Willie, if you (or anyone) are on Win7, stay there, Win10 will get you nothing... except a mild learning curve.
E.

Good morning, Sunny and 31°, to start my day. It's going to 47 or so, a nice day.

February 21 2016 - 2.jpg
Progress photo of a portion of my layout. The cork tracks are on either side of the center line. The grey Kato track on either side goes away. There will be streets and buildings and industrial sidings instead.

When the wife's Win 7 laptop died, the replacement came with 10. For compatibility purposes, I "upgraded". Over all it works, and I actually like the office version over what i had, but there are some really quirky things. For instance the software that was causing me fits with photos, resides on the desktop, not on the hard drive with the rest of my programs, it's more like a phone applet. Most of those are junk to begin with.

Got to get moving, need to get the car inspected over at the DMV. February is suddenly almost gone.

Good morning all. 67 degrees presently in Daytona beach.

I think I must be getting old. I am totally worn out ofter this past weekend. Spent The afternoon at the track and watched the truck race on Friday night. They did have "the gig one" in this race.(I'll watch anything racing at Daytona). Saturday met with friends at the track and watched Xfinity qualifying, Sprint cup practice and then the Xfinity race. I was shocked when I saw Morgan Shepard in the line up. He's 74. Enjoy this race a lot. No big one and a great finish. The Sunday Sprint cup race was a good one too. No "big one" and great racing.

There's so much to see at the track. They spent about 400 million in renovations to the track and stands and I didn't recognize the place. There are so many exhibits to see and a number of new restaurants. Ate so much at the track Sunday that I wasn't even interested in going to dinner last night. I just wanted to rest. Had a call fron Eric which I enjoyed and was hoping to relax, but Nooo, before I could wind down there was pounding on the door and I was off again with my friends. Getting too old for this.

Just finished breakfast and hopefully I'lll have a nice quiet day ahead. Maybe I'll hunt down some hobby shops again. I have to turn in the rental car this afternoon and we'll be taking off tomorrow morning early.

Now that I have the laptop out, I'm trying to catch up with the posts I missed over the weekend.

Eric - Enjoyed the video with the .50 cal. Those are lethal on both ends. I have one and you sure don't want to fire too many rounds or your right hand will be useless for a few days.

Karl - Looks like some major body work to get that rust taken care of. That kind of work can be a pain when you start removing the rust. Usually it can be a lot worse as you get into it.

Ken - Great to have the Road Slug back. The B&O locomotives look great. The weathering is done just right.I wouldn't touch it again. It has character.

Garry - Caught bits and pieces of your problem with the insurance company. Some of them can be a pain to work with. If you make a claim on the comprehensive part of the policy you rates shouldn't go up hopefully. a few years back I did some "bumper hunting", hitting three deer in five weeks. No sooner got the car backfrom the shop after the first deer and hit the second. The second only cracked the plastic bumper, but before I could get it into the shop, I hit a mule deer. A bit larger than a white tail, and that one cost $7,500. The guy in the shop said he had moved the target to the back bumper and I haven't hit any since. I had no increase in insurance rates. In fack the rates went down because of an accident free record.

Joe - Thanks for posting the photo of your layout. Looks like you're moving along nicely. Waiting for more photos.

I'm sure that I probably miss some posts, but I'll have to go back and check them all out. Have a good one.

Well, I see that everyone has been real busy over the weekend. We had 22 party guests Saturday evening/night for our turn at the monthly meeting of our friends bunco and other games.
It's sort of pot luck with the host having some sort of main dish. The Spousal Unit made a great teriyaki pulled pork dish with Hawaiian rolls for small sandwiches. Some of the ladies, and I might add men as well, really turn up with some good dishes. I stuffed myself as usual .. and thus did not eat very much yesterday. (CHET said that he took up the slack yesterday.

I wont comment on everyone's doings as most seem to be mentioned already.
Temps are headed back into the mid 80's this week. Clear skies with ZERO moisture for the next week.
Hope everyone has a great day!

Over cast and getting colder in Wisconsin. A little computer time and down to the layout room. Going to cleanup my work bench. Labeled all my drawers in a tool organized. I let a loco run on the layout while I work in the room. Helps break them in and for the older ones, keeps the gears and bears lubricated.

Worked on the layout all afternoon yesterday. Found a problem with a Proto 2000 DCC loco. Will post the problem in the DCC section of the forum.

After lunch, more scenery work.

Take care.

Greg

Good morning guys, 19 and cloudy. Supposed to get a couple inches of white stuff tomorrow. We had rain over the weekend but the snow didn't disappear. I am getting pretty tired of winter!

I came down with something last week and just now getting over it. The train room is on hold and maybe get back into the project by the middle of the week.

Hope you all have a great day!

Spent a few hours exploring the area today and did find a hobby shop. Just browsed around this time. Didn't find anything that I really needed. The guy in the shop sort of rubbed me the wrong way. he was trying to sell me things that I didn't need, such a DCC systems as I opened my mouth and said that I only operated DC. Also tried to sell me a few locomotives. I did enjoy the demonstration, but when he started the hard sell, I was out of there. Can't under which part of NO he didn't understand, the N or the O.

Also ran up to Crescent City to visit with an old state trooper friend. He had stopped witt his wife when they stopped and visited me a couple of years ago on their way to Yellowstone Park. Nice to keep up with old friends. I was his training officer.

Just turned in the rental car and am getting packed up. They will have a car over to pick me up at 0600 tomorrow morning for the flight out. Guess I'll head over to Hooters. It's just a couple of blocks away. Time for the three B's. Beer, burgers and boobs. (Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu) laugh.gif

Catch you later.

Evening All,

Did some chores today and made up train order sheets to use during op sessions on the layout. Thursday I am going to VA for a blood draw. I have my yearly physical in a couple of weeks and I have several things I need to talk to my doc about. Friday one of my daughter's (she is the teacher) chaperones dropped out so I will be going on her 2nd grade field trip with her.

Joe- Great looking B unit. Is it powered? Sound? That looks like a great start to your track work. You look like you have a lot of room to work with.

Chet- Glad you have had a good time. Do you remember the name of the problem shop? Have a safe flight home tomorrow.

Here is my weathered fuel delivery truck

20160222_104732_zpstfrdhiyu.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Evening:

Chet: All good things must come to an end, until next year.

Curt: The GP9B is Powered, and for now DC only. The train room is 16'x22', However, the 32" and 30" curves at the corners eat up a lot of room. It will all be one level, and hug the walls. I have not decided whether it will be point to point or whether I will install return loops. The chief engineer has determined that I need to keep the center open. :rolleyes:. It will be all double track, except where the movable bridge is going, there it becomes a single track. I still have benchwork to build, so everything in its time.
The weathered oil truck looks really great.

Tomorrow was supposed to be the first day of jury duty, but I got at least a one day reprieve. They used 300 jurors today, have 800 coming in tomorrow, which leaves me #143 of 700 for Wednesday and/or Thursday. :confused:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening gents!

Chet - have a safe flight back to MT!

Curt - that oil truck is, as my 17yr-old daughter would say, totally awesome! Looks like the real thing.

Joe - the layout is lookin' mighty good, can't wait to see the lineside industries.

Now that I've got my camera remote-focus software installed, I need to build a platform for the laptop, so I can have it within arm's reach of the camera. It'll need to be tall and narrow to fit in the aisle with the tripod, so I'll have to put a second platform at the bottom with an old car battery on it, as a stabilizing weight for a low center of gravity - the older I get, the clumsier I seem to get!

I'll leave you with another shot, one of the B&O's "oddball" F-units:

BnO_4604_615x400.gif

4604 and her sister, 4603, were the only units I know of that had GN-style snow plow pilots installed on them. [At least, they are the only two I've seen in prototype photos.]

Toodles

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening gang!

Ken, love the return of the F-units,,,,,,too many hood units gets boring.

Chet
, safe trip home

Curt, I gotta agree with ken, or his daughter, the truck is awesome!

Finished the latest exercise in repetition.....the BN car is so dirty you cant tell what road it is ! Either that of the load is too clean! :rolleyes:

20160222_220210.jpg

Hand wrapping a whole load of lumber will blow a whole 500 mile race, and then some!!!

Well, the Sandman is calling, 5:00 comes early! G'nite all!

Ken: Nice F7s. They look great. BTW The cinder ballast and oxidized rail look real. Nice job.

Karl: Awesome job wrapping all that lumber. Dirty car looks good also. I like the effect.

Good night.

Back