Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

It's 50 degrees and clear here this morning in North Central Texas. Yesterday we saw 75 degrees which broke our record for January 29 by 9 degrees! Today should be pretty much the same. In the train shed, I continued to do minor detailing with signage, populating and window treatments. Mostly I worked outside. In my other life I am an organic gardener and I planted 110 onion plants and some radishes yesterday. That's half of the onions and I will plant the other half today. Tomorrow I will suffer from "onion thighs", a condition I suffer once a year about this time.
Curt - You threw me too, but here it is. Keep up the progress.
Eric - I love to cook as well. This week at the grocery store I discovered pork cube steaks and made some "pig parmigiana" last night. I also love Italian food.

That's all for this morning, off to the train shed for a few hours, then to the garden.

Willie

Good morning, America! It's 37° with a predicted high of 52°. My wife and I will be going to watch some volleyball games today, our middle granddaughter has a tournament today.

I guess Terry's sleeping in this morning, so I'll open the door of the new place.
Willie

Maybe he's getting a posse together to find Tony.

images[1] (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Clear and cold as a well diggers backside up here.

OH, Tony!

Sure, I don't KNOW any of ya but STILL, if I knew I was going to be away or was pulled away by 'life' and was busy elsewhere for a time or was INJURED, I would tell someone to log on here and give a 'heads up' as to my status and weather or not I would return.

It's not like anybody would cry,cry if I disappeared, but it's the POLITE thing to do. Even a "Hey guys I grew up or got bored and sold all my trains and MRR can go to hell!" THAT would be easier to take than thinking a person you have come to admire for their work thinks so little of you they don't bother saying goodbye! It's not me I'm talking about there, I know many of YOU have communicated with him for a long time! It's getting to the point where, "I hope he's not in the hospital" turns to "He better be in the hospital"!

I am so thankful for all the help and good advice y'all have given me I could not just VANISH without a word. If I am hit by a bus and killed suddenly or just drop dead, there are standing orders in my papers that the forum should be notified of my demise.

Been looking for a buddy that said he was getting on the forum, have not seen him yet, hope he got the right forum.

Y'all are going to LOVE his project! It's "YOOGE"!

Good morning ...

Santa Fe Willie ... Thanks for starting the thread. .... As Appreciation, here is a photo .

santafechicago_zps1a78a10d.jpg

Where is MIA Tony ?

Good morning. There have been some issues with our electricity here. After the snow and ice storm blew through (much after), a tree fell across the transformer outside our house. From what we can piece together, this shorted across the transformer, and (at a guess) sent a voltage spike of around 500 volts through everything that was plugged in, turned on, and/or running at the time. So far, the count is one fridge, one freezer, two desktop computers, the chargers for the phones and tablets, two televisions and satellite boxes, and every surge suppressor in the house. The microwave, one coffee pot, and the main power supply for my layout all are acting flaky.

I've left two voice mails on Tony's answering machine. The first one may not have "taken", because it made a weird sound when I tried to leave a message. I left another one this morning. We'll see if everything is okay in his world when he calls back.

Thanks for the picture Garry. Gotta love the Santa Fe warbonnet paint scheme, and unlike many other RR's, they kept everything clean up until nearly the end.
Yeah, I've been asking about Tony for about two weeks now. He's been a member for 3 1/2 years and averaged over four posts a day. Last posted 01-07 and last logged in 01-09 without posting. Maybe he went down-under for a "holiday".
Willie

Terry - Thanks for the update on your efforts to reach Tony, I am a slow poster and you posted while I was typing.
Willie

WOW! I insist on unplugging the layout when not in use and I'm thinking that was a good practice to ingrain in my routine!

Willie .... I still have a Santa Fe post card with a well known publicity photo of the Super Chief. I got the post card when our family went from Chicago to Los Angeles on the Super Chief in 1957. Below is that photo and also some old black and white photos. with me and my sisters in the dome car. (My sisters are now much older. LOL) As kid, I was already into HO trains, and became a Santa Fe fan then party because of the trip to CA.

Santa%20Fe_zpsbpp5ntle.jpg

superchief1.jpg

superchief2.jpg

Well, I have to say that those SF war bonnets were some of the best looking trains out there in my opinion.
GARRY , great photos! (have come to expect nothing less from you - lol)

TERRY I really wonder sometimes how you manage to crawl out of bed? A disaster seems to be waiting for you around every corner. Seriously, good luck on getting everything up and running again. Do you think that the power company will cover any of it? I thought that I was the only one who had that little black cloud over my head, or maybe its moved over to you?

Terry-Did/Do you have a surge protector on the main box-installed by the power company? If so, they are partially responsible.
Good luck !

Phil

Terry-Did/Do you have a surge protector on the main box-installed by the power company? If so, they are partially responsible.
Good luck !

Phil
No, no, and no. "That is for your homeowner's insurance".
I have had to dig up the receipts and warranties for half a dozen surge protectors, and have contacted them about the items connected to them when they failed to contain the surge. I am considering providing my renters' insurance company with all that stuff, so they can subrogate the loss. Replacement value for the damaged items looks to be around $15K. At $800 per television, $2000 per computer, and a grand or so each for the fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, etc, etc, it adds up quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,

Today I got the ballast done and the ground cover that needed to be done. After that I cleaned track and made sure all the switch mechanisms were operating properly. Also went grocery shopping after that. Tomorrow I plan on putting down detail parts in the yard. Next project on the agenda is the oil business next to the coal trestle.

Milw113- Nice looking Cabeese. I have a Milw box car with the ribbing. I think it makes it interesting.

Terry- Sorry to hear about all those appliances and layout.

Dave- Thanks.

Willie- Thanks for starting us today.

Eric- I hate to cook. I would rather clean up afterwards. MOH cooks and I clean up afterwards.

Bob- Good luck to your grand daughter and her team.

Garry- Great Santa Fe ABBA. It brings back memories as a kid in El Paso.

20160130_143342_zpsukdbn3xh.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Terry: Are you, by chance, related to Joe Btfsplk? You have to have the worst luck of anyone I know. Wow. $15k+ in damages, that's a shame.

Garry: Nice photos and memories. Note the Monon Coach rebuilt from an Army Hospital car in the background behind the ATSF Fs. Great picture.

Curt: Looks real good, and the tower fits in very well where you placed it.

Sherrel: That's good, like it. hat button covers all bases, eh?

Back