Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

It's funny how animals like to bury their noses when sleeping, makes you wonder how they can breath.

Last thought on NG after reading through posts on that other forum. He called himself Chip, it was a well chosen name for what he seemed to be carrying on his shoulder. The irony of it all to me was, while complaining about others (even magazines) pushing in his view, a barrow, that was exactly what he was doing himself regarding how model trains should be run and calling everyone else a pack of idiots for wanting to have a different approach. I very much doubt he'll be back here or anywhere else once he's exhausted all the forums there are.

Willie...well paint is pretty subjective when airbrushing. For years I was partial to airbrushing with only Humbrol enamels and ModelMaster enamels. Enamels stink, are a pain to clean but are pretty forgiving and dry slower than acrylics.
a couple of years ago I switched to acrylics because the clean-up is much easier and they don't stink like enamels. Now I pretty much stick with Vallejo paints, preferably Vallejo ModelAir but I will use their regular acrylic from time to time.
the nice thing about both types of Vallejo is they come in these nifty eye-dropper bottles so you can actually load the exact amount of paint you want into the cup/bottle...no waste! Also they allow you to count drops of paint so ratios are easy when mixing colours to get a specific shade. Thirdly, the Vallejo ModelAir paint is specially formulated for use in airbrushes so no need to thin it or anything like you have to do with most other paints...just sqeeze it into the paint-cup and spray. The other nice thing that I like with Vallejo is it thins,when needed, with acrylic thinner, water or windex...Tamiya acrylics need their own proprietery brand of thinner. Clean up of the Vallejo paints is easy with water and or windex. Give them a try.

Speaking of all this airbrush work, did anyone reply to request about an assortment of paints could get all at once instead of getting a bottle here and there?
The flat black I wanted to use on my junction platform building was completely useless.
E.

I think you can get packages of assorted paints from Micro Mark.

It's funny how animals like to bury their noses when sleeping, makes you wonder how they can breath.

Last thought on NG after reading through posts on that other forum. He called himself Chip, it was a well chosen name for what he seemed to be carrying on his shoulder. The irony of it all to me was, while complaining about others (even magazines) pushing in his view, a barrow, that was exactly what he was doing himself regarding how model trains should be run and calling everyone else a pack of idiots for wanting to have a different approach. I very much doubt he'll be back here or anywhere else once he's exhausted all the forums there are.

not to mention that he on more than one occasion complained that he was forced/booted out of this forum...which I took objection too.

I read all his posts yesterday afternoon. Or so I thought I did. Someone here said he was even chastising some of us here but I never saw that. He sure did like to seemingly brag/boast about only 1 feeder for his entire RR though. I'll about guarantee if he put a voltmeter as far away from his single drop he would be able to see the difference.
When I first got my stuff running I had 2 only drops. Carey/CJ came over one weekend and the first thing he suggested was more feeders. At least 2 more he said. Then he pointed out the difference of the engine sound in one particular corner. I had actually noticed it before but thought that I was maybe just "wanting to hear things". I put the voltmeter to it and sure enough, he was right. The following week I put on 2 more drops. Since I had the soldering iron hot and with plenty of wire, I decided to put feeder on each yard line as well. So I went from 2 feeders to 14 in a single afternoon.
What do you know!! No more "slow spots" on the tracks since.
I also noticed my engine wheels were cruddy so I put them on the wheel cleaner - big difference and very noticeable to the educated/experienced ear.
Even with my screaming tenitus I could hear it.

As for NG: I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't cast the entire hobby under the bus, cuss us all and have a big fire sale one day. If I had his train real estate and equipment/supplies, I'd probably have hired a professional designer to come in and help make a plan. I'd also probably invite one of the mags to come in to do a feature article about the build. Then spend the next year taking my time on it.
Something like that I'd also likely need to do a "go fund me" campaign for it.

Just my 2 pence.
E.

not to mention that he on more than one occasion complained that he was forced/booted out of this forum...which I took objection too.

Did he? Someone else mentioned that to me in a PM but had verified with Bob (our admin/moderator) that in fact it was not the case.
E

I think you can get packages of assorted paints from Micro Mark.

You're right Gene. The 72 color kit would be great - but I can't do $200.
A 16 color pack would be better - especially $40.
Can someone vouch for Acrylicos Vallejo paints?
Are they ok for styrene and airbrushing?
I would imagine so but it doesn't say explicitly.
E.

Back