Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang,
Time for a weekend off, as were " headin down te oshun hon". Baltimoreease translation. Were going to Ocean City Md.
Louis I knew you would understand.
Eric how did you even see that?
Time to pack up and roll out.
Later gators

Liberty ship under construction in the Bethlehem Steel shipyard, Baltimore.
21686055_10214585744823032_6870272396324279716_n.jpg

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 75°. Changed plans yesterday when my wife decided we needed to go to town (25 miles away). So we bought groceries, gas, pool chemicals (extended season this year), a new chair for the computer station and went to the library. Oh! We also stopped at the recycle center to drop off magazines, Salvation Army to drop off lots of clothes that we'll never fit into again and ordered some pizza to pick up and take home. Kind of a busy trip! But when you live so far out like we do, you make the most of your trips. We actually got it all done in three hours; pretty good considering a 25 mile drive each way!
Out in the train shed, I almost caught up with the backlog of Preiser figure painting, but I did add more to it! That was about it.
Someone brought up the subject of "Dust Monkeys", I have one installed on each of my 18 cabooses and they do a very good job. While I don't credit them exclusively for not having to clean track, they are a small part of my maintenance. They are an inexpensive substitute to the old-fashioned "masonite cars" which while cheap are hard to build and maintain.

Chet - I have heard that about Dull Coat and chalk. I do use Dull Coat before weathering (on all cars regardless of weathering plans), I only rarely touch cars and I have found that the chalk doesn't come off when I do.
Johnny - Don't be too wary, we were all in that position at one time. You asked Chet about weathering powders. I use a four-color set from AIM. I use set "A" which has two shades of rust, a black and a dirt color. There are other companies like Bragdon, Dave's, Humbrol, MicroMark and others. Here's just one link to AIM:
http://monroemodels.us/aim.weathering.htm
They are available from several others but this shows the actual colors pretty good.
Eric - Nice flashlight find. All I ever find besides aluminum cans is fishing lures and I am not a fisherman!

OK, once again. BOB, let's get this "red screen/site blocked/malware present" thing fixed. I really dislike turning off my virus protection just to log on to this site.

Everyone have a great day and a great weekend. I'm starting my weekend today. Oooops! I'm retired, it's all weekends now!

Willie

Good morning everyone. 71 and clear here in SW MO. Will get to 91+ today. No rain until Tuesday - and we need it.

Got another of those off-campus strategic planning meetings today. They're okay, especially since we'll have coffee and bagels. So, no thanks, Flo - no coffee or doughnuts for me in the coffee shop this morning.

Worked in the yard yesterday afternoon until I was too sweaty and tired to do more. After supper I spent some time on my knees - - yeah, that, too - but I meant on my knees under the layout - - working on the wiring. Still have four more turnouts out on the mainline to hook up for remote control. Then the freightyard turnouts need to be wired after I redesign part of the yard.

Tomorrow it's the fall train show put on by the local model rr club. MBH and I will wander the aisles looking for things we need for the layout and waiting around to see if we win any of the drawings. I'll post a photo Monday.

Have a good day everyone.

"Johnny - Don't be too wary, we were all in that position at one time. You asked Chet about weathering powders. I use a four-color set from AIM. I use set "A" which has two shades of rust, a black and a dirt color. There are other companies like Bragdon, Dave's, Humbrol, MicroMark and others. Here's just one link to AIM:
They are available from several others but this shows the actual colors pretty good."

Willie: Do you use those Set A powders on structures as well as rolling stock?

B&O No. 25 “William Mason”, restored to its original livery, returned to the B&O Roundhouse on Saturday, September 16th. See “America’s Favorite Locomotive” on exhibit now in the center of the B&O’s historic Roundhouse. You still can own a piece of this history by participating via the charity auction! For more information or to place your bid, visit http://www.borail.org/William-Mason-Restored.aspx
21558821_10155364877210589_3448096486680862625_n.jpg

Terry ... thanks for contacting Bob. I hope the issues can be corrected.

It took hours to reinstall the Mac OS. So the iMac is now running again. I will wait to use it for this site until the red screen problem is gone . So I'll just check in briefly for now.

Cheers

Good morning. Ready for a cup and an apple fritter. We started the day off at 34 degrees and are supposed to get into the low 40's. Had some kind of white crap on the car this morning. Nothing on the ground or on the trees. Hope the forecast is wrong because the trees still have all of their leaves on.

Louis - Love the photo from the museum. Thumb up.gif Nice restoration. Happy that there is still one around. Like the liberty ship photo. I can remember a program on the History channel about the building of liberty ships. I believe that they completed one in around 24 hours.

Johnny - It does sound like you are getting a lot of work done on the layout. I hate crawling around under the layout, especially now that I am a bit older than I was when the layout was started. Post some photos.

E - I see nothing wrong with a shop selling different brands of motorcycles, especially when you get away from big cities. One brand may not have enough potential customers whereas carrying multiple brands will have enough sales to keep the business open. Up here we still have auto dealseships selling mutiple brands instead of just relying on a single brand.

Willie - Once the Dull Coat has been applied over weathering, it is sealed in forever. I have had some powders and chalks "disappear" when Dull Coat has been applied, mostly light colors. Chalks seem to hold up a bit better. I used to buy Dull Coat by the dozen years ago.

I was going to get some work done on the Stewart F-3 last night but couldn't find my air brushes. After two years of renovations, so many things have been moved around to different places, I have no idea of where they are. Ended up ordering a Paasche double action last night on Amazon for $39.12. They had a number of different companies offering the same set for as much as $70. Most likely as soon as it arrives I'll find the two I misplaced. Guess I'll just run trains this weekend instead of working on the F-3 or F-7.

Here's the rail picture for the day.

train-track-1342393456qUI.jpg

Later

Good Morning .. Time for some more coffee, but will see if I can struggle through a post first!
It's 50 degrees this morning with an expected high of 73 and partly sunny skies. No rain from the thick clouds yesterday - have no idea where the moisture went as the clouds looked very dark and heavy.
I have no idea where autumn went. We had 38 degree nights on our little foray which was "uncomfortable" to this low lander - now desert type person with thinned out blood. Even the dogs had vapor breath on the early morning walks - something that I have not seen in like forever.

Louis, That sure is a good looking locomotive. They used to be really dolled up!
Thanks for your help getting things back "running" again. I have not learned much about EDGE, but so far it seems to be working fine.

Memory is so bad that I can't remember who just posted the Liberty ship construction. I was just thinking that I remembered that they were building one of those a day back when needed! GARRY
- Thanks for those pictures of the LST .. Love seeing things like that!

Let's see if I can post a "track" photo ....

GP7-565-at-Union-Station-St.-Louis-Missouri-in-September-1963-600x406.jpg

OK .. Back to the drawing boards!
Photo will not expand/enlarge?
Should be able to count the rivets on it - a beautiful photo!

"Johnny - Don't be too wary, we were all in that position at one time. You asked Chet about weathering powders. I use a four-color set from AIM. I use set "A" which has two shades of rust, a black and a dirt color. There are other companies like Bragdon, Dave's, Humbrol, MicroMark and others. Here's just one link to AIM:
They are available from several others but this shows the actual colors pretty good."

Willie: Do you use those Set A powders on structures as well as rolling stock?

Yes I do, although not as much. I use dry-brushing on structures a bit more. I haven't gotten the hang of weathering with the airbrush yet.

Willie

Soon back to the train room. Printed for framing "Operating Rules" for the layout. Reminders are especially needed for my reverse loop which is shorter and less forgiving than most loops or crossovers. I watched west bound CP trains run through a Du Plainville, Wisconsin cross over section and they really cross at reduced speeds. Fun to see the locomotives and rolling stock weave through the turnouts to change mainlines.

Yesterday, ran two trains at the same time on my main line. Fun switching too.

Two cars kept detailing. One is a flat car from an estate sale and it still has the older, deep wheel flanges and has difficulty running thought my turnouts. Easy fix to change out wheel sets in the sprung metal frames. The second car is a mystery and I need to take closer inspection of the wheels and couplers on the work bench test track.

Found a new EMD Milwaukee Road switcher which I forget I had and installed DCC in the locomotive. Ran it to break in the motor and gears. It's a Train Line product from Walthers not too expensive, but a good runner.

Ken: I will remember Dust Monkeys, not Bunnies.

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Using EDGE again ... the "window" at the top is no longer showing what it was. It's normal at this time?

Trying the photo again to see if it will enlarge?
GP7-2-565-at-Union-Station-St.-Louis-Missouri-in-September-1963.jpg

Worked this time - I learned something! (bout time)

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

I was paroled from the book fair today (by MOH). Let's just say by 7:30 pm last night and after 3 full days at the school I was at the kiddo saturation point if you know what I mean:(. The NESL order came in yesterday so I started on the 2 side walls today (just cut out shape), I still need to cut out for the windows. I also painted a people door and started putting in the "concrete pads" between the rails on the 2 tracks.

I'm not sure if anything will get done tomorrow. I like college football but the teams I follow aren't being televised (at least on the channels I get).

I got to get caught up on the forum.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here's a new experience for the books. Wii bowling with 3 blue haired 90 year old ladies. Too funny.
They have horrible timing releasing the ball. They threw several back in the crowd and the crowd avatars all jump up in the air. Too damm funny!!!!!
I had 4 strikes and come in 2nd right behind winning. We played foursome.
I'll have to try that more often!!!
E.

Here's a new experience for the books. Wii bowling with 3 blue haired 90 year old ladies. Too funny.
They have horrible timing releasing the ball. They threw several back in the crowd and the crowd avatars all jump up in the air. Too damm funny!!!!!
I had 4 strikes and come in 2nd right behind winning. We played foursome.
I'll have to try that more often!!!
E.

Eric Wii was my best therapy after my stroke. 1st bowling, then tennis and ski jumping. My son and I played for hours, and my rehab nurses all approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back