Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried again. Ping=33ms. Download=1.49Mbps. Upload= .66Mbps. I had a .97Mbps download the other day. I guess it could be worse. It could all go negative and suck the guts right out of my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried again. Ping=33ms. Download=1.49Mbps. Upload= .66Mbps. I had a .97Mbps download the other day. I guess it could be worse. It could all go negative and suck the guts right out of my computer.
Yes, there's nothing like the smell of imploding computer innards in the morning. It smells like frustration.

Good Morning All. 70° and partly cloudy here in beautiful North Central Texas. Forecast here is still the same with 90°+ highs through tomorrow. Average highs for late September are 84°, possibility of rain Wednesday. Last rain was August 24. Trees are dropping leaves early due to the dry conditions. Pool is still warm enough to use and probably will be until Wednesday. Had to make an emergency plumbing repair under the house yesterday to the "gray water" drain line from the dishwasher/washing machine. Easy enough to make the repair, crawling under the house is not so easy any more due to "girth enhancement", aka "beer belly".
Yesterday in the train shed, I finalized the layout of part of the small section of the small town that is next for scenery. Laid out property lines and started drilling fencepost holes. I also determined where driveways will be located and decided that I need a garage or two to enhance the scene. I have a scrap box full of sprues and such leftover from all of the laser-cut wood kits that I have built and I should be able to find enough material to build at least one. Other than DPM, Pikestuff or Walthers modular walls, I have never scratchbuilt anything in my 45 years of modeling. We'll see how it goes.

Eric - Are you going to be able to move back to GA once all of the medical treatments are done? That would include removal of the tubes I assume. Or do you even want to? Having a layout at each location is going to make a decision really difficult. Just remember as Garry posted, all of your friends here really care.
Toot - Don't fall asleep at the keyboard...you might fall over. Don't bother asking how I know!

Regarding the recent issues with this site. I know that some of you don't seem to have any issues (or at least haven't mentioned any) logging in. I am beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with the aggressiveness of our virus protection programs? I have tried with both Firefox and IE11 and cannot log on without disabling my virus protection program. I am not going to take the time to install another browser because I just like Firefox. I know that Bob is working on it and I trust that he will get it resolved soon.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Willie

toot...then you must be in the Bahamas...time for a beer!

Regarding the recent issues with this site. I know that some of you don't seem to have any issues (or at least haven't mentioned any) logging in. I am beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with the aggressiveness of our virus protection programs? I have tried with both Firefox and IE11 and cannot log on without disabling my virus protection program. I am not going to take the time to install another browser because I just like Firefox. I know that Bob is working on it and I trust that he will get it resolved soon.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Willie

well if its any help I have not experienced any of these issues on my iPad or iPhone.

Morning All -- Time for a good old-fashioned donut and a cup of "mud"! The past few days of mid 70's highs were nice ... going back to 85 today with severe clear.

WILLIE Maybe I don't really know what I am doing, but all I did was go (WIN10 oper system), click on the start menu and select "EDGE", then imported all my bookmarks? It works on the site with NO problems to date. If I close out EDGE and click on CHROME - then the site - it gives me the "red warning". Solution seems to be NOT to use CHROME anymore. am I doing this correct?

GENE - Glad to hear that you are OK .. even with slow speeds!

TOOT - Are you sure you are not using "dial-up"?

Sherrel and others, This red page warning appears to be Google Chrome related only. I've now deleted all things so related and not having the problem now, not even using Google as search engine any more, which is a shame, 'cause I like it. Have used it from Dot. But until this malware gets sorted, best I think to not give it a chance.

As far as our internet speed is concerned, the main problem is the old, worn out copper wire that is what we're connected to the FTTN box a mile down the road. What's really annoying, and what we were not told by our provider, is the method by which the connection works. We had ADSL-2 previously and very rarely had dropouts etc. I can't ever recall a need to check the connection speed. Now that of course, brought the internet via those same phone lines, worn out though they were, but the phones were the carrier of the internet signal.

It's the other way round now, the internet, or NBN (National Broadband Network) is the primary carrier, phones are secondary. We now have to have this big bulky modem connected to the nearest phone line entry point to the house(the lounge). In order for the phones (Dect 5.8 Ghz) to work, the base station of that wireless group, also has to be directly plugged into the modem at that point. They won't work at all if the modem is on the end of the extension down in the spare back bedroom, where the computers are. We're also told that the NBN signal is greatest with an Ethernet cable connection direct from the modem to the computers, WIFI is inferior. 2 ports for Ethernet on the modem. That would mean specially installed cabling from the modem in the lounge, to the back room. So WIFI it is. Our caller ID on the phones no longer works either, all calls come up as Private. I found out a few days ago too, that when this change was made, our copper lines were disconnected to the still existing national copper phone network, at the exchange. One other provider still keeps the 2 systems separate, i.e. you can still have the phones connected to the exchange.

Had we been informed of these differences and their ramifications to the type of service we'd get, we would have changed provider at the time. Of course, we've been connected by the current one for years and years. Probably wouldn't have made any difference to internet speed, but... Our only real recourse now is to go to a higher (more costly) plan, that offers higher download and higher WIFI speed modem and dongles to get hopefully better performance.

Here's a good one for you all to get your brains around: yesterday an old surveyor friend of mine got a hold of me and basically offered me a job if and when I get moved back to GA.

Willie: as of yesterday my plan is get these tubes removed and be "semi-normal" again and then move back. I'll take this railroad with me. I'll leave nothing behind. I hate it here. I left before in 1983 and never came back except for a rare visit. I plan on doing the same. I have zero friends here. All of my old high school "peeps" are long gone best I know of. At least my brother doesn't know of any and he knows everyone.

In the mean time I'll continue to build the railroad here. After all I still need something to pass the time. Wii bowling with the blue hairs is not idea of passing time in a meaningful way.

E

Two reasons I hate it here in general:

1) people never seem to do what they say they will and when they said they would.
My brother was going to take me to beer store yesterday "since it is your birthday". I never saw him or heard from him after about 1900 hours. Now today, he's off somewhere helping his son pull bushes out - in another town.

2) people here seem to watch that clock for quittin time. I swear they'll leave a mop on the floor at 5 o'clock and blow out of there. I was always on salary and it was UNcommon for me not to put in lots of overtime - just to get things done and out of the way. Granted non-salary people are generally that way everywhere I have lived, it still burns me up.

So here I am yet to drink a single birthday beer even if it is a day late.

Eric - Happy Birthday, many times over. May you have many more. If its any consolation, I'll drink a few in your honor. I am truly glad to hear that moving back to GA is part of your plan. I know how much you miss it.

Willie

Eric. ----- Happy birthday a day late . I will join Willie in the celebration .... September birthdays are the best.

Good Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning then spent a couple of hours bracing the 4 walls. Tomorrow I plan on painting the inside walls.

Chet- Nice train and video.

Eric- Happy belated birthday. I can understand you being home sick, it is totally normal. I hope you can get back to GA sooner rather than later.

20170924_143235.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. it looks like 51 degrees will be the high for today. Yesterday we got up to a toasty 43 degrees. (Up here 43 would feel toasty in January. Should be up into the 60's by next week.

Eric - 548.gif Sorry to see that you are feeling so lonely, but you are far away from your friends. Hoping that things will change soon for you. Maybe you can work the layout you built into the one back in Georgia.

Curt - The project is coming right along. it should be a nice addition to your layout.

Willie -
Our trees are at least three weeks late in dropping their leaves. With the warn weather we've had, the trees are just beginning to turn colors. A month late. Waiting to see the progress on the town scene. By the way I have had a couple of instances where the "Bud Locker" has made thing tight.

I ended up selling two of my classic cars yesterday. One was sold and when the buyer showed up, he got interested in some of the other ones. ( I turned down $150,000 for the '59 Impala ) He'll have to make another trip back to pick up the other.

We did get some snow on Bozeman Pass but by afternoon the sun did come out and the roads bared off so I made the trip to the club in Livingston. They got the bugs worked out on the Digitrax system and everything was operating normally. Finally after two trips back to Atlas for repairs, the RS-1 was working nicely. It was another busy night with seven trains running. With all of the traffic on the layout I was happy to be running a shorter train being ably to duck into passing sidings to keep the traffic moving.

[video=youtube;KEuVbeJLQqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEuVbeJLQqk[/video]

Later

Nice video there Chet, looks like it is doing better in the pulling dept. And blow that them thar horn.:D

Jumping Jehoshaphat, ERIC! I was not aware that yesterday was your BD! Sorry I was not closer to drive you around to have a beer or three. I didn't know that you were on FB either! Keep the faith - you are ever so slowly getting better. Someday, you will make it back to GA.

CURT - Once again you are making me look weak in the modeling department, but I really like what you are doing.

CHET - Glad to see the loco running again. I like the length of the train.

A day without Football! Wasn't as bad as I thought.

Good evening Track Gang, I started to post earlier around 3:30 Pm but then the roller on my office chair once again got stuck in the depression of the old board, which I've been meaning to redo for over a year, and figured enough was enough and grabbed the old one to use as a template and went out in front of my tool shed and pulled out a piece of OSB and layed it on top of a couple of old Saw Horse and went to work getting the new one traced out with a little added length and then cut out and sanded the edges. So now I can freely roll my chair around again without the dreaded pot hole that had developed over the years.

The dreaded Red Screen, I just got it earlier when I went to post to a new member. I'm using Fire Fox and Internet explorer though and don't find Google on my computer anywhere? I'll have to check with my tech neighbor and see what he says as he works at the local phone company and is very sharp.

The day is catching up with me so alright, I going to try and watch Chet's video of the Model railroad club.

Chet: Nice video, I just wish my system wasn't so slow so I could have replayed it easily.

As far as the Red Screen, I didn't get it this time when I posted this. So maybe the situation is corrected?

Last edited by a moderator:
David, are you using Google as your search engine/Homepage? Not saying that it is sneaking in through that, but who knows, I've removed everything Google related just in case. Haven't had it occur since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back