Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning fellers. I hope everyone has had a good weekend. Getting up to some coffee and a case of the Mondays. No trains this weekend but electrical troubleshooting on my Bronco. There appears to be a surge between my dimmer switch and my radio. Previous owner had some kind of crazy wiring fix. Anyways I hope everyone has a good day.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning everyone. 66 and mostly clear here in SW MO. 40% chance of rain today, then a real nice week ahead, almost 90 a couple of days - summer's back again!

Had a good soaking rain almost all day yesterday. Kids and families came over for lunch, had a riot with the 1-year-old granddaughter who likes to open kitchen cupboards.

My knee is much better, mostly because I spent the weekend being kind to it - iced it, took Tylenol for inflammation, and stayed off it for the most part. Did go to the basement train room a few times, though - shhhh - don't tell the Mrs!! :)

Chet - I know it's old, but up where you are there are only two seasons: Winter and Road Repair.
Garry - Nice work going on the corner project. I wish I had that much room to work with :(
Sherrel - A belated Happy Birthday - I don't usually get on the forum over the weekends, so I missed it - sorry.
David Trussrod - Yeah, that's how I got up and down the basement stairs - "up with the good leg, down with the bad one."

Did get the track spiked down for the new siding, ran trains for the kids and grandkids.

Have a good day everone.

Good morning. A bit warmer start for the day at 48 degrees with a high again in the 60's.

Garry - Tru Color is a solvent based paint.

Joe - I did try to find the info on the Stewart site wit no luck. Garry was correct. After carefully prying around the body shell, the casting for the windows fit into a slot of the frame weight.

Willie - the bowling went well Friday night. It was just the problem of no headlights that was a pain. I still can't believe that both hedlight bulbs could burn out at the same time. People painting is one thing that can be time consuming. I keep a little parts tray on my messy wor bench with unpainted figures and any time I use a color to paint another project, I'll use that color if I can and paint various parts of the figures. Don't know if I could go on a figure painting marathon.

Justin - Nice to see you back here. I can tell you that after this past Saturday, I don't want to have to look for any automotive electrical problems.

Johnny - We do have the season of autumn up here. It last about a week, but not running together. The temps bounce all around this time of year. Still not ready for winter, but I did get all of the hoses up and all outside hydrants turned off.

Speaking of Marathon, my friends are going to head down there today to see what's left down in the keys and to see what damage has been done to the house. Taking a few cans of gas with them also as there is still very few things available down there.

Here's a rail photo for the day.

train-tracks-abandoned.jpg

Later

Ken (D&J) - Did you ever find the tools for working on the bridge?

Willie

I've found most if what I think I was using before. I'm sure that when I get started on the bridge again, the second tool I need is the one I didn't find. Que up the "Enter the Clowns" music as I begin a whole house search for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Hoggers & Diesel Loc Engineers,
Hi Flo and Francine, How are both of you this morning? Francine, I'd like some coffee an a Apple Fritter if you would.

Per WU it's 70° F & Feels like 70°, the high should be 79° with a low of 53° tonight.
'That's very comfortable sleeping weather.'

It's Sunny with Wind from the ESE and Gusts 3.0 mph.
Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday.

I might just go into my train room and run some trains for a while today!

Good morning, y'all. 66° and cloudy. Forecast indicates that we will get some rain and wind as Jose passes to our East. Nothing to be overly concerned about.

Say Joe: Glad Jose is passing far enough to the East not to affect you. Those hurricains sure can cause some widespread damage alright.

Good Morning All. 74° and partly cloudy right now. It's still dark, almost no moon. Monday is finally here, I'm expecting the pool guy this afternoon to find the leak that's there that I cannot find. He puts on a wetsuit and snorkels around with a bottle of dye to find it. Pool temperature went up to 81° yesterday so he may not need the wetsuit. Mostly I took the day off yesterday, as preparation and travel to and from church takes away the whole morning. Then it's lunch and nap and too warm to do outside stuff.
So I spend Sunday afternoons in the train shed. Made some more trees and then switched the workbench over to the "people-painting" mode. I always have some of them on standby for when I have paint out to paint something else, I dab a little of whatever color on to a few figures. But I had over four dozen "in-process" and decided to just dedicate some time and finish a few up. Made some progress as there are now about 20 in the "to be Dull Coated" cup. I'll get more done today.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Say Willie: That's what I always enjoyed about Floquil it dried flat for fairly natural looking skin tones as well as flat clothing colors as well as hair.

Good morning everyone. 66 and mostly clear here in SW MO. 40% chance of rain today, then a real nice week ahead, almost 90 a couple of days - summer's back again!

Had a good soaking rain almost all day yesterday. Kids and families came over for lunch, had a riot with the 1-year-old granddaughter who likes to open kitchen cupboards.

My knee is much better, mostly because I spent the weekend being kind to it - iced it, took Tylenol for inflammation, and stayed off it for the most part. Did go to the basement train room a few times, though - shhhh - don't tell the Mrs!! :)

David Trussrod - Yeah, that's how I got up and down the basement stairs - "up with the good leg, down with the bad one."

Did get the track spiked down for the new siding, ran trains for the kids and grandkids.

Have a good day everone.

Say Johnny: I figured you knew that but figured I'd throw it in just in case you didn't.

I've found most if what I think I was using before. I'm sure that when I get started on the bridge again, the second tool I need is the one I didn't find. Que up the "Enter the Clowns" music as I begin a whole house search for it.

Say Ken?: I've misplaced stuff in the past too, I think most all of us do from time to time. I usually find my stuff in the spot least likely for me to set it down. It's probably in your train room.

Have a good day all.

Just got a call from my friends who went down to the Keys to see how our house made out. They did have to cut a few trees out of the way as the house is at the end of a private road. The house did very well. From what they could learn, the main problem on the ocean side was the storm surge and the wind in the gulf side. The house is at about the half way point. The old garage did not make it. It was planned to be replaced any way. The rear deck was damaged along with a few storm shutters that must have been hit by flying debris. The roof as far as they could tell held up without any damage. There was no water intrusion into the main living area which is 16 feet off of the ground. Complete dry with no damage at all. The bunk room which was built using cinder blocks to close in the under side of the house between the concrete piers did have some water damage as well as the bathroom in the lower level. This was expected and anything that could be moved was taken up to the main level before the storm. Some of my friends are in the building trades and they don't think it will take much to have the place fixed. No power out there yet.

They could not believe the damage on the ocean side of the keys. Homes and businesses either washed away or damaged by boats or other objects being carried along by the surge. They could not recognize most of the homes or businesses that they were quite familiar with It will probably take many years before the are is back to normal from the way they talked.

I haven't been out of here in a few weeks. Harvest time. Amazing. My brother Bill took me into town earlier this afternoon. I was amazed at the fields. (corn and soy beans) They are ready for pickin. Bill said some are already picking corn because when the beans are ready, you gotta switch and pick beans. He said that soy bean pods will fall off the stalks if not picked at the right time. Of all the farming I did way back and all the bean fields I walked with a week hook..... I never knew or heard that. You'd think I would have heard of all that.... after all my first wife was the "farmer's daughter". (thank God Big Ted liked me). Not only did I get to drive the big toys but I took his first born - with his blessing.

Golly mercy what a boring day. I dug out one of my models I put away. The "Graham Motorcycle Emporium". I'm about lost about how to put this one together. I might have figured out some of the directions and color coding. It certainly isn't in my normal comfort range in model building. I'm sure I'll figure it out - some day.....

Happy harvesting to those in the midwest corn and soy bean belts.
E

Afternoon All,

No chores today!:D This morning I painted the wood strips that go in between the rails concrete color but they still need weathered. After lunch my son and I went to the indoor range (10 minutes from me) to shoot. He shot his M-14, I shot my Enfield .303, and we both shot my H&K USP .40 cal. We had a fun time and re-emphasized that I am a much better rifle shot than a pistol shot.

The book fair at youngest grandson is on this week so Tues-Friday during the day we will be at the school. It's just as well since I am waiting on the order from NESL before I can start on the actual structure.

VA Ken- That's too funny about burying the guy.

Garry- Your waterway is much larger than I was picturing in my mind.

CA Dave- Thank You.

Joe- Thanks. I am definitely keeping an eye on it. I'm glad you are getting a break from Jose.

Chet- I'm glad you only had minor damage.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well the heat has come back to Charleston. So I have a before and after for yall. Tell me what you think. My Atlas U23B needed some added details. Runs like a Swiss watch. It's been quite the good purchase. So all opinions are welcome. Seems a bit bright of a yellow to me. Maybe I should use my darker UP armor yellow. It tuned out good on my C&O caboose.
21e53fe737449bfdce8a91aed8457e73.jpg
c9d2cadd6428025766690f56b52a12bb.jpg

Justin ... The yellow looks good to me as is. Maybe some weathering would look good. However, if have not weathered any locomotives before, I would not start with one of your better models.

Curt... good to hear you had some time for the model railroad.

Chet. ... sounds like some major damage in the Keys.

Eric. .. I'm not familiar the the kit you mentioned . Maybe it will be a lot of fun though.

Good evening, Construction Workers,

Francine, More coffee and some chili beens.

The high was 83°, the low will be 53°;

It's now 74° F - Feels like 74.1°

The Sun is setting;
Wind are from the West with Gusts 2.5 mph
Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.

Afternoon All,

No chores today!:D This morning I painted the wood strips that go in between the rails concrete color but they still need weathered. After lunch my son and I went to the indoor range (10 minutes from me) to shoot. He shot his M-14, I shot my Enfield .303, and we both shot my H&K USP .40 cal. We had a fun time and re-emphasized that I am a much better rifle shot than a pistol shot.

The book fair at youngest grandson is on this week so Tues-Friday during the day we will be at the school. It's just as well since I am waiting on the order from NESL before I can start on the actual structure.

CA Dave- Thank You.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Shooting a Semi-auto pistol does take some practice, I need to get out back and do some more target practice with my Glock .40 now .357 Sig to get more proficient with it. What distance were you shooting your Enfield at?

Good morning .... I'll have coffee and a donut, please.

Louis .... Your posts remind me for some reason of the sweatshirt my wife gave to me. ... "Still Plays With Trains".
Garry, I like that sweatshirt. Now I know what I will ask Santa for!!!
Louis - Only 290 days left until July 4th.
Willie, I will take them one at a time, but the 4th of July is my second favorite!

Louis
- Have some snow up here for your early Christmas.
Chet, Thank you, but no thank you. I only like snow after it has been shoveled and then only when looking out the window on a day I have no where I need to go.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone has had a good weekend. Getting up to some coffee and a case of the Mondays. No trains this weekend but electrical troubleshooting on my Bronco. There appears to be a surge between my dimmer switch and my radio. Previous owner had some kind of crazy wiring fix. Anyways I hope everyone has a good day.

Chessie, there is not much worse then following someone else's wiring work, I wish you well.

Another boring day.

E,
I am sorry to hear of your boredom, but your post did remind me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hquwK6NssWw

Well the heat has come back to Charleston. So I have a before and after for yall. Tell me what you think. My Atlas U23B needed some added details. Runs like a Swiss watch. It's been quite the good purchase. So all opinions are welcome. Seems a bit bright of a yellow to me. Maybe I should use my darker UP armor yellow. It tuned out good on my C&O caboose.
21e53fe737449bfdce8a91aed8457e73.jpg
c9d2cadd6428025766690f56b52a12bb.jpg

I like it!

Good morning everyone. 67 and foggy here in SW MO, heading for upper 80's today.

Working on the under-table wiring for turnouts and power on the new siding. Did some more painting on a structure kit build. That's about it from the train room.

Gotta have blood drawn in a half hour or so - part of the annual physical exam. Knee's better but not 100% - but it didn't stop me from getting down to the train room or out to my wood shop.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Folks. 73° and partly cloudy this morning. New moon tonight and an early start to fall on Friday the 22nd, next year the 23rd, switches back and forth every two years. Pool leak repairman did his thing yesterday in the pool. I'll know in a couple of days if he was successful when the ground in that area dries up. He's a great guy and is one of only a handful of outsiders that has seen my layout; he is fascinated by it. He's been here before. His normal fee is $175 per visit and $25 per patch. He found two small leaks that he patched and replaced a large one that I had patched last year, and only charged for the visit. Wouldn't accept the $50 bill that I was tipping him either. So the wife and I went out to eat with it at our favorite BYOB Italian restaurant nearby.
So out in the train shed, I began painting a DPM structure that I assembled a few months back but did not proceed further. Simple kit with four walls, a door, roof and a chimney. The painting is what makes these kits stand out. It's some kind of corner cafe; I already have one, but with different paint and location/orientation no one but me will know. There is a limit to how many different kits are available when you already have over 200 on the layout! Painted some more little people as well.

Garry - Thanks for the link to the lock(s). I found it rather interesting.
Chet - I'm not so much on a figure painting marathon as I am a "completion" project. I just had too many of them in a half-assed complete state and I actually needed a couple of them to finish another scene. I have two towns that are completely devoid of any people at all and I need to catch up. As far as scenery on the layout, I am about to move across the road from the horse pasture/barn and needed people to populate those houses. That's some good news regarding the hurricane damage considering what happened in the Keys overall.
Eric The "Graham Motorcycle Emporium" looks to be a great kit to build. I don't have it, but it's on my wish list for right now. I like JL Innovative Design kits a whole lot, but they can be a challenge at times.
Justin - MU hoses, brake line, uncoupling lever and windshield wipers would sure make that model shine. Cannot comment on the color as I haven't seen one in person. But as Garry posted, be careful with weathering, it's always best to have a picture to guide you.
Johnny - Good to hear that your knee is getting back to normal.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

[h=3][/h]

Good morning to Terry, Johnny, Flip, Joe, Willie, and others who are here in the coffee shop this morning ! .... I'll have coffee and a pecan roll, please. (This is a coffee shop. Right?)

Chet.... I looked at the Tru-Color website, and I was quite impressed. They offer a big variety of railroad colors.

Willie .... You certainly are productive in your train send.... Dozens of people. Hundreds of buildings. Zillions of trees..... Remarkable !

Everybody .... Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back