Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy.

Briefly on cell phone as we leave for most of the day.

Terry ... my two SD24's have TSU 1000 also, and I am asking myself similar questions . I only use the front lights on the lead unit as I run the pair only on mainline trains. The three clear lights are on.

The new GP7 road number 251 has factory equipped Tsunami 2 which is better than the older Tsunamis. My other new GP7 (#210) is DCC ready and I ordered a Tsunami 2 for it. I hope I get the lights to work the same way

The Burlington GP7's have the full group of lights in the rear as on the front. CBQ operated first generation road switchers in either direction.

On the 251, function 0 turns on the pair of clear lights in the bottom housing. Function five turns on the upper clear light flashing .

The emergency red light flashes if I use the red stop button the stop the engine (other lights are turned off when that happens.) ... . The red light does not come on and other lights stay on with a normal stop reducing speed on the controller to zero.

I like how the lights work on 251 and hope to do that with the other GO7 and the SD24's .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just showed first responders on Little Torch Key. Keys now open to residents.
This was/is on the weather channel.
Phil

Good morning Track Gang,

Hi Flo & Francine, How have things been here at Jeffreys' Dinner since I last stopped in?
I'd like coffee along with an Apple Fritter. Thanks

Phil: That sounds like one big disaster indeed. I assume you folks are alright though? Good to see you feeling good and posting as well as running your trains !!

See you all later, I need more sleep.

Good morning. I could use a cup also.

thumbnail_IMAG1244.jpg

It was a miserable day yesterday after have such warm weather. The clouds were hanging low over the valley and there was snow falling. Later in the afternoon, the clouds started lifting and there was snow on the mountain peaks. The snow level did drop to within a couple od hundred feet of us but never stuck on the ground. Here's a crappy photo from the phone. Does not like to take infinity shot. We are supposed to get into the mid 60's this afternoon.

thumbnail_IMAG1243.jpg

Talked to Phil briefly and from news reports and what Phil said, the centrals Keys are pretty well wiped out. My friends are planning on going down there sometime mid week to check out the house. Does not sound good.

Sherrel - Happy Birthday. cheers.gif

Garry - Those are some really nice looking GP-7's. Good photo. Like the LST also. Not many of them left around.

Louis
- Have some snow up here for your early Christmas.

Willie - Waiting to see how your trees come out. It is really amazing what just a few trees make to a scene on a model railroad.

Yesterday was a pain. When we were leaving bowling Friday night, we had no headlights. Pulled over and turned on the four ways and started checking fuses in the rain, cold and dark. Some friends also stopped when they saw us and were nice enough to take the lead so we could follow them home on the back roads. A lot of fun driving 15 miles with no lights when it is raining and darker than the inside of a black cow.

Ran the car into the shop yesterday morning to troubleshoot the problem. Fuses were all good but there were a number of relays in the system. The LeSabre uses the high beams at a lower voltage for daytime running lights and it also automatically turns on the headlights as it gets dark. Ran to town and tried replacing relays, but nothing fixed the problem. Went back home an figured that I would have to take it to a shop Monday because after looking at the electrical diagram I didn't want to mess with it. Then, just for the heck of it, I grabbed some replacement bulbs I keep on hand and it ended up that both bulbs burned out at the same time. What is the chance of that happening ?

I did not get to run the RS-1 at the club last night. Got a call saying that the DCC system was down. I had seen that they had received a number of new Digitrax components the last time I was there, but they have a problem. I didn't even ask what it was because I know almost nothing about DCC except that I am not interested in it for my home layout.

The parts for the Stewart F-3 and F-7 arrived Friday so I will sort everything out and hopefully get going with them in the near future. Garry had mentioned that he had never seen a good match for the Lowey green colors for the North Coast Limited. The Tru-Color paints are extremely close so I hope they'll blend in well. With all the crap that came up over the weekend, no train room time yesterday, and the NASCAR face in going to start shortly.

Later.

Joe - I wish you good luck with Jose. I haven't looked at any weather yet this morning so I don't know which way it may be headed today. Regarding being off on weekends. I used to take my vacation days one at a time on Fridays. Many times, it would be decided on Friday that Saturday work was needed, but guess what? Willie wasn't there to get notified. I don't answer the phone at home anyway, so I couldn't be reached! It was OK though, because I hired people that could do their jobs whether I was there or not. I was a senior manager and only had managers and clerks working directly for me.

Willie:
The latest advisory has Jose moving further from the coast. The NOAA forecast does not mention Tropical Storm conditions and only a 50% chance of showers. The Rutgers University Forecast has restored the Tropical Storm Possibility, this time for Tuesday Night and Wednesday. ???? :confused::confused::confused:. Your guess is as good as mine. Meanwhile TV is focused on Tropical Storm Maria, which is next in the pipeline, followed by Tropical Depression Lee.

When it comes to weekends, our General Managers were largely grizzled, hung over, work-a-holics, that had no home life. They insisted on 24 - 7 availability from the Superintendents and lower level managers. The work day was M-F 0700 - 1530, and 0700 - 1300 on Saturday. Eventually 0700 turned into 0600, and 1730 turned to 1830, 1630 on Saturday. At one point the AVP Transportation, an egomaniac nut case had us on the property 24 hours over the weekend. His method of control was manage by fear, not unlike HH the current CEO at CSX. These people didn't take time off themselves, and didn't believe their subordinates should either. So come Christmas or a weekend off, or a vacation, the phone went unanswered. [The Southern, and NS were actually worse, you had to call in each day of your vacation, and advise where you could be located].

Good morning. It's sort of cloudy, and kind of cool.
Garry, I got the TSU-1000 for the CB&Q SD24 I picked up last weekend, and was wondering how, or if, you wired the headlights on your Geeps. This seems to have a double sealed-beam headlight, a single Gyralight, and a single red emergency light. All the lights, except for the emergency light, light when the headlights are on, and I'd like to correct that.

Hold that thought Terry
Somewhere around here I have the headlight castings that I took off of my Maryland Midland (Ex CB&Q, Ex BN) SD24s. Atlas booboo'ed and left them on the models. I promptly removed them and installed the correct blocker plated. They even have 1 clear and 1 red lens!. I have to find em, they are around here someplace. When I do, they're yours!

Afternoon All,

No tree work today so modeling it was:D. I re-hooked up the welding light (under the floor) and made a small hole on the floor for it to shine through. I also completed the window work for the building. I started by cutting out a template of the window (easier to use for window dimensions on the walls), then spray painted both sides, then put 2 coats of craft paint on each side and finished by gluing on the "glass" on the back side. Pretty tedious but at least it's complete. I'm waiting on finishing the build before I glue down the floor in case I need to modify something.

My wife is making my birthday meal of Swiss steak tonight, because the storm prevented it on my birthday.:D

It looks like we are going to be dealing with another Hurricane this coming Sunday-Monday. Can you say Deju-Vue?

Garry- Great picture of the LST. Could you imagine driving that thing up on the beach probably under fire? I did not realize your lake was connected in a navigable waterway.

Chet- Glad your friends happened by and you were able to get home safely.

I hope everyone has a good night.

HELP !
Now that the detail parts have arrived to detail the Stewart F-3 and F-7, I can't figure out how the body shells are held onto the frame. It seems like the clips holding the couplers are what holds it, but neither locomotive came with an exploded diagram.

Can anyone explain how the body shell is removed/ I sure don't want to cobble up these locomotives.

Finally figured out that the shell was just a tight fit. Have it separated from the frame and now have to figure out where to start.

Yes, I do have a cluttered work bench.

F-3 shell.jpg

Here are a few prototype photos that I have found to work with.

NP6503C 6553B-640603 St. Paul, MN F5A F7B.jpg JP3-021.jpg 1e RUSH4-121.jpg

Let the games begin

Ahhhhh, the old simple tight fit to hold a shell on the chassis.
During one of my op sessions years ago, one of the operators was discussing application of details to locomotives to another operator and was referencing one of my locos that was parked on a siding. He picked the loco up by the shell to get a better look at something, holding it at eye level over the floor when the Overland brass chassis separated from the shell, tore the head and rear lights from their mounts and hit the floor end first bending the frame and trucks. Yeah, he had that OS look as he stood there with only the empty shell clenched in his fingers.
Yeah, I killed him and buried him in the back yard next to my daughter's gold fish.

That's OK Ken, and I do symphathise, I had A Kato SD40 on display at a Buy&Sell, open in its box for viewing, in it's cover. Along comes this "Nong" (Aussie for Moron), picks it up, looks at it intently and then turns the box over, with the resultant similar result. Only complete with it's shell. Also a concrete floor. I made him pay for it in a loud voice to match the bang it made. Luckily it also caught his big toe.

Good afternoon/ early evening,

Afternoon All,

No tree work today so modeling it was:D. I re-hooked up the welding light (under the floor) and made a small hole on the floor for it to shine through. I also completed the window work for the building. I started by cutting out a template of the window (easier to use for window dimensions on the walls), then spray painted both sides, then put 2 coats of craft paint on each side and finished by gluing on the "glass" on the back side. Pretty tedious but at least it's complete. I'm waiting on finishing the build before I glue down the floor in case I need to modify something.

My wife is making my birthday meal of Swiss steak tonight, because the storm prevented it on my birthday.:D

It looks like we are going to be dealing with another Hurricane this coming Sunday-Monday. Can you say Deju-Vue?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Happy Belated Birthday

That's OK Ken, and I do symphathise, I had A Kato SD40 on display at a Buy&Sell, open in its box for viewing, in it's cover. Along comes this "Nong" (Aussie for Moron), picks it up, looks at it intently and then turns the box over, with the resultant similar result. Only complete with it's shell. Also a concrete floor. I made him pay for it in a loud voice to match the bang it made. Luckily it also caught his big toe.

As it caught his toe, he got to share in the pain.

Good evening. ...

Everybody ... Thanks for the comments about the GP7's and the photo of the LST.

Curt .... We are on Lake Barkley which is a man made lake about 60 miles long formed with a dam on the Cumberland River in KY. The Cumberland River starts in the Appalacian Mountains and goes mostly westward in KY and TN. It eases through Nashville, TN and Clarksville, TN. At Dover, TN it turns northward and passes though KY on its way to the Ohio River. There is a steady flow of barge tows passing though our lake with much of it bulk cargo going to or from Nashville, TN. ... Ships such as the LST are very unusual.

Chet ... I'm not familiar with True Color paint. Is it water based? ... I think Stewart shells are the ones held on by the window (port hole) castings that go down to the frame and latch on to it. .

Ken D&J ... That is what I call a "floor model". One of my SD9's landed on the floor, but this time it was my fault. At least you can blame another person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening.

Garry: Nice photos of the LST. I remember seeing one drydocked for repair / overhaul near where I lived back in the '50s. Still active with Navy crew. Wonder how long they actually remained in use.

Chet: Since the F3 is a Stewart, you may find assembly information from the Bowser web site. Proto photos are good guides.

Curt: Hope you did not store your hurricane gear... The TS Watch is back up for Jose, for Tuesday Night and Wednesday. This time, less wind, less beach erosion, and more rain. NWS having trouble with watches and forecast. They don't seem to be familiar with the Central Jersey Coast. If they don't know, we don't know what is forecast. I did secure all the loose stuff on the patio and in the yard. Was hoping to leave for Northern New York on Wednesday Morning...now...I'm in a holding pattern. This storm Maria is apparently following the path Irma took, from what I can tell. Be careful.

Good Morning All. 74° and partly cloudy right now. It's still dark, almost no moon. Monday is finally here, I'm expecting the pool guy this afternoon to find the leak that's there that I cannot find. He puts on a wetsuit and snorkels around with a bottle of dye to find it. Pool temperature went up to 81° yesterday so he may not need the wetsuit. Mostly I took the day off yesterday, as preparation and travel to and from church takes away the whole morning. Then it's lunch and nap and too warm to do outside stuff.
So I spend Sunday afternoons in the train shed. Made some more trees and then switched the workbench over to the "people-painting" mode. I always have some of them on standby for when I have paint out to paint something else, I dab a little of whatever color on to a few figures. But I had over four dozen "in-process" and decided to just dedicate some time and finish a few up. Made some progress as there are now about 20 in the "to be Dull Coated" cup. I'll get more done today.

Garry - That's pretty neat regarding the LST. Good pictures as well. Question though, how does it get around the dam for your lake?
Chet - Rough weekend, glad though that everything eventually worked out. You didn't mention how the bowling outing turned out.
Ken (D&J) - Did you ever find the tools for working on the bridge?

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, y'all. 66° and cloudy. Forecast indicates that we will get some rain and wind as Jose passes to our East. Nothing to be overly concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back