Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning. 40 degrees with rain to start off the day.

Eric - Nice that you brother got you out for a while. Must beat being inside all of the time. I'm sure you'll figure out that building after being able to put that refinery together.

Justin - I am a big fan of Atlas locomotives. Have quite a few of them.

Johnny - Enjoy the trip to the vampire. Just went through a physical a couple of weeks ago.

Willie - Adding figures to a scene makes all the difference in the world. I usually buy figures in bulk packs, unpainted in order to dave a few bucks, but there are times when I don't mind spending a bit more just to save having to paint them.

Did a little bit of work on the Stewart F-3. I had the lift rings that go on the front to the nose and painted them. A really nice color match on the Lowey light green color. Also painted the winterization hatch for the roof, but the color isn't a perfect match. The Stewart unit seems to have a bit more brown in the dark green. Compared the Tru Color paint to the Athearn Genisis unit and it is a perfect match for that. I think a bit of weathering can take care of the mismatched color. I also found a lot of detail parts that I had put away years ago and forgot about. I will be able to use some of them.

I haven't done any work like this in quite a long time so it will be bit of a challenge. The old eyeballs aren't as good as they used to be, but I have been able to broaden my vocabulary.

Rail picture for the day.

Hill-City-Train-Tracks-V2-1-of-1.jpg

Later

LOL, GARRY, I have been here for almost 2 hours trying to catch up.
Many thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes from you all!
I have several comments to make on all the "goings on" - but I know that I will overlook several of you. Don't feel bad, after all I have now reached the 3/4 Century mark .. where did the time go?

Interesting little trip we were on - no computer - forgot the charger - hate trying to type on the phone.
Could have tried to use the Spousal Unit's Apple, but wasn't in the frame of mind to figure it out. Had a hard time with the altitude the first two days. Strange, since I spent a large part of my life both living and working above 6,000 feet. I am laying blame on the medical problems ... one afternoon and evening I had the worst headache I have ever had in my entire life! If that was anything like the migranes that TERRY has - then my heart goes out to him - at times I just wanted to scream.

Need another coffee ... just wanted to let you know that I am watching ... so, No Talking behind my back - LOL.

Garry - I was a die hard Floquil fan but now that they are no longer in business I had to do a lot of looking around. I haven't used many water based paints and do prefer a solvent based paint. I had searched their web site and was overwhelmed with all of the colors and may have overlooked the NP colors as there were so many. Sent them an email and got an answer back in a very short time saying that they had the colors I wanted.

On the F-3, I think that the color that they painted Stewart is a bit off as the dark green is a perfect match for the Athearn Genisis locomotive. The light green is right on for both locos. The only spots right now that I will need it for is on the roof (unless I screw something up) for the Winterization hatch and to cover the holes for the generic two horns on the roof. As I mentioned before, I think a bit of weathering can take care of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning...came home yesterday from the wife's cousin's reunion in Northwest Wisconsin. I was outnumbered by several hundred of my wife's' relatives at the reunion. Been awhile since driving in the this hilly section of Wisconsin near the Wisconsin Dells region. Nice lots of woods, rolling hills and rock formations.

Saw a bunch of unit trains of covered hoppers on the trip. Only saw one short train on a mainline.

Ken: Know the feeling about damage to a model. Was at one of our operating/meetings and I was running one of my prized locomotives. A three year old was running a train at a nice pace, but reached for my passing loco and derailed the locomotive. His grandfather just dismissed the incident. &^%$#@!H*(!!!. No damage to the lift rings or horns which usually are the first parts to break off.

Chet: Nice looking F unit and I like the paint theme of the Northern Pacific railroad. Installed a DCC plug 'n play decoder in a Steward F unit and it was so easy and took a matter of minutes. The detail parts will dress up the unit. Good news from the Keys.

Too bad you couldn't run your S-1 unit at the club. I'm sure many that many Forum members would volunteer to test operate the locomotive on their layouts for you. Let me the first!

Sherrel: Belated Birthday wishes. Your gift is coming via Penn Central.

Justin: You are so correct about the value that detail parts add to a model. I have several RTR locomotives that came decked out with detail parts and these locomotives stand out among the other locomotive on the layout.

Down to the layout this afternoon.

That's all for now.

Greg

Good Morning...came home yesterday from the wife's cousin's reunion in Northwest Wisconsin. I was outnumbered by several hundred of my wife's' relatives at the reunion. Been awhile since driving in the this hilly section of Wisconsin near the Wisconsin Dells region. Nice lots of woods, rolling hills and rock formations.

Sherrel: Belated Birthday wishes. Your gift is coming via Penn Central.

Greg

HA,HA - Thanks, GREG - I think maybe that present wound up as part of JOE'S survial plan!

I have seen photos of the "DELLS". It's On my list, but that list is getting longer, I'm afraid, than my remaining energy.

Garry - I was a die hard Floquil fan but now that they are no longer in business I had to do a lot of looking around. I haven't used many water based paints and do prefer a solvent based paint.

CHET - I have not painted anything in the last 1/4 century, but Floquil was "my choice". I still have a pint of Dia-Sol along with two unopened bottles and a drawerfull of paint - several unopened.
A couple weeks ago I remembered to purchase a small friction clamp and I was going to try the paint mixing with it, so I clamped a brand new bottle of Floquil in it, placed it in the scrollsaw, pressed the trigger, and quicker than a speeding bullet it shot out of the clamp and splattered on the garage floor! About the stupidest thing I have done lately. My scrollsaw is not a variable speed (DUH); all I had to do was plug it into the dremel footspeed control which was at my feet!

On another of your posts, you mentioned about losing both headlights. My son just had the exact same thing happen to him about two weeks ago. Auto parts place told him to replace the relay - no help ... then he decided to try the blubs - both of them were bad?

Talk about fog this morning!!! Wow. Visibility less than 100 yards. It didn't burn off until about 1100.

Good Afternoon All,

Just back from the school today. It continues through Friday, but Thursday is all day and a 5-7 pm open house for parents. My W/S welders came in and I got notice the NESL wood was shipping today.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, Spike Drivers and Ballast Tampers,
Hello Flo and Francine, How is everything today here at Jeffreys' Dinner? I'll have some Coffee and a Cinnamon roll, heated with extra butter & Cinnamon! Thanks, great.

I'm always amazed you ladies are here when ever the various guys decide to stop in, including myself. I still haven't figured out how you do it? As far as my punctuation of Jeffreys' name being (s') that's done to show his ownership of the dinner as it was dedicated to him! Did you see the bear's [plural] go running by?

nner2Jpg_zps0d339a7_edit_1402885940537_zps5pkmjwsv.jpg

JeffreysDinerClose-up-Exp1Jpg_zpsdfa517cb.jpg

That's Jeffrey greeting a passenger going to the dinner.

Per WU: It's 68°F outside here in Coarsegold foothills which is very comfortable indeed. It feels like 68.2°, the high will be 75° with a the low of 54° tonight;
It's Sunny with Wind from the WNW;
Today is forecast to be Cooler than yesterday.

Good Morning Folks. 73° and partly cloudy this morning. New moon tonight and an early start to fall on Friday the 22nd, next year the 23rd, switches back and forth every two years. Pool leak repairman did his thing yesterday in the pool. I'll know in a couple of days if he was successful when the ground in that area dries up. He's a great guy and is one of only a handful of outsiders that has seen my layout; he is fascinated by it. He's been here before. His normal fee is $175 per visit and $25 per patch. He found two small leaks that he patched and replaced a large one that I had patched last year, and only charged for the visit. Wouldn't accept the $50 bill that I was tipping him either. So the wife and I went out to eat with it at our favorite BYOB Italian restaurant nearby.
So out in the train shed, I began painting a DPM structure that I assembled a few months back but did not proceed further. Simple kit with four walls, a door, roof and a chimney. The painting is what makes these kits stand out. It's some kind of corner cafe; I already have one, but with different paint and location/orientation no one but me will know. There is a limit to how many different kits are available when you already have over 200 on the layout! Painted some more little people as well.

Garry - Thanks for the link to the lock(s). I found it rather interesting.
Chet - I'm not so much on a figure painting marathon as I am a "completion" project. I just had too many of them in a half-assed complete state and I actually needed a couple of them to finish another scene. I have two towns that are completely devoid of any people at all and I need to catch up. As far as scenery on the layout, I am about to move across the road from the horse pasture/barn and needed people to populate those houses. That's some good news regarding the hurricane damage considering what happened in the Keys overall.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie[h=3][/h]

Say Willie: As you've brought up, along with others, figures indeed create the scene by showing action in one form or another. Painting the figures is a bit tedious but sure can allow you to create the look you want to even the same figures.
Most of my early time period figures are White-Metal and I sure miss having Floquil paints available as they dried flat which was very natural looking in most all cases whether on the figures or most all RR applications. I think Floquil did the Model Railroad Community a real disservice by closing/dropping the Floquil line of Solvent based paints.

One thing you need to know about True Color paints is that not all there colors are that true to the actual thing. I purchased a bottle of their Rust color and it was way too redish looking to even begin to appear like any rust I've seen here in Calif., which has a lot more orange/burnt orange to it!

Good morning to Terry, Johnny, Flip, Joe, Willie, and others who are here in the coffee shop this morning ! .... I'll have coffee and a pecan roll, please. (This is a coffee shop. Right?)

Chet.... I looked at the Tru-Color website, and I was quite impressed. They offer a big variety of railroad colors.

Willie .... You certainly are productive in your train send.... Dozens of people. Hundreds of buildings. Zillions of trees..... Remarkable !

Everybody .... Have a great day!

SayGarry: Yep, this is Jeffreys' Dinner & Coffee Shop alright, and here are Francine and Flo! I still think she has a bun in the oven.

Chet: Sorry for the damage you sustained in Florida, at least you were lucky compared to many, I guess having the house raised up high averted much storm surge?

A parting shot:

irpumpaddedenhanced-Reszed964x7231-Jpg_zpsa92a40fb.jpg

Hope all have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening gang

Google has lost its mind again,,,,,,,,big red screen, stating DECEPTIVE SITE AHEAD! Modelrailriadforums.com may trick you into revealing password and personal identification bla, bla, bla

No, this site might trick you into believing you need more trains maybe, but that's it. Dumbass Google!

Hope all are well, or at least improving, TERRY hope you got my PM, Sorry man, I'll fine em someday (when I aint looking for em!:rolleyes:

Karl,
I started a thread about it (just below this one), seems it's spread across more than 1 browser.

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. In regards to the comments about the yellow on my handrails thank you all for the comments on it. As for weathering. I have always been a little afraid to go that route. Definitely won't start on my U-boat. Adding detail parts. Honestly I'm glad Atlas has already pre-drilled the holes for the detail parts. This unit actually came with snow plows. However I'd be hard pressed to find a C&O U23B with a plow on it. I only have one gripe and that is my coupler height on it. They sit real low. I removed the Atlas style couplers as I had to really hit my hoppers with it to get it to couple which was hit or miss. I put on what I have available which are Bachmann EZ-Mate couplers. They couple easy but sit way to low and I get an uncouple event if I pull to much weight or find the right dip in my layout. Any suggestions on how to correct that? Moving on to my wiring nightmare. It seems any Bronco I buy now a days needs a lot of work. Kids being kids as I bought this off of a younger feller. I had a Dixie horn installed under the hood. So it found it's way out and I installed a stock horn. I still have to get all the writing on the interior cab roof removed. I can't begin to tell you how much work and parts have gone into this truck already. As for the wiring issue. The stock floor mounted dimmer switch got stuck in the down position. They instead of replacing it bypassed it. Probably where my constant hot wire disappeared to. I just have to find it again.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. In regards to the comments about the yellow on my handrails thank you all for the comments on it. As for weathering. I have always been a little afraid to go that route. Definitely won't start on my U-boat. Adding detail parts. Honestly I'm glad Atlas has already pre-drilled the holes for the detail parts. This unit actually came with snow plows. However I'd be hard pressed to find a C&O U23B with a plow on it. I only have one gripe and that is my coupler height on it. They sit real low. I removed the Atlas style couplers as I had to really hit my hoppers with it to get it to couple which was hit or miss. I put on what I have available which are Bachmann EZ-Mate couplers. They couple easy but sit way to low and I get an uncouple event if I pull to much weight or find the right dip in my layout. Any suggestions on how to correct that? Moving on to my wiring nightmare. It seems any Bronco I buy now a days needs a lot of work. Kids being kids as I bought this off of a younger feller. I had a Dixie horn installed under the hood. So it found it's way out and I installed a stock horn. I still have to get all the writing on the interior cab roof removed. I can't begin to tell you how much work and parts have gone into this truck already. As for the wiring issue. The stock floor mounted dimmer switch got stuck in the down position. They instead of replacing it bypassed it. Probably where my constant hot wire disappeared to. I just have to find it again.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Justin,

Might want to install a set of Kadee #147 "whisker" couplers to overcome the height issue.

Good morning all. Clear skies at 72*- scattered light showers later and 91* .Prayers for the islands getting stomped by MARIA. Hope "NEW JOISEY" and the rest of the N E do alright. Serious flooding still a problem in central Fla.
Best wishes for a good day.
Phil

Some minds are like concrete-Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Good morning everyone. 70 and clear here in SW MO - will hit 90 today. They're saying no rain until Tuesday.

Nothing new from the train room 'cause I worked outside when we got home from work yesterday - got lots of yard work to catch up on. Knee continues to improve, but not 100% yet. At least I'm not walking like old Chester on "Gunsmoke" anymore - I get around pretty good. But train room work is backing up, too - kits to build, wiring to run, and scenery to put in - glad I have the rest of my life to get it all done :eek: Local club's annual fall train show is this Saturday - MBH and I will go and see if there's anything our layout can't live without!

Have a good day everyone.

I started a thread about it (just below this one), seems it's spread across more than 1 browser.

Thank you King Toot!

Here is the link to the thread. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?40529-Google-Safe-Browsing-Warning

And thanks to Frederick for starting the thread.

I've posted in the other thread but I will repeat myself here.

When I receive an email from the forum in reference to threads I have subscribed to and I click on the link I am being redirected to a suspicious site telling me I have to upgrade my software to view the page. I closed the window and used my saved URL to reach the forum.

Don't click on any pop up asking your permission to upgrade or what ever. Giving you permission could allow malicious software to be installed on your pc or other device.

The most important advice I can give is to KEEP YOUR PC and other devices UP TO DATE!!!

We recently had a massive ransom ware attack. The only thing people would have had to do to prevent the attack was to have kept their PC up to date.

Good morning. Ready for a cup of coffee with a glazed.

Johnny - Glad that the knee is healing up.

Justin - Weathering really isn't that hard. There are a number of videos showing numerous ways to do it. If you have an old box car you could always practice on that. Do you have an air brush? I love using an air brush to lightly dust the along the bottom of locomotives and rolling stock to try to get the look of the road grime that would have collected along the lower parts of them. Modeling the transition era, I used black chalk to try to resemble where soot would have collected on the roofs of cars and then washed down the sides of the cars. This would also work for more modern equipment. I was scared to death to start weathering but after a few quick experiments, almost nothing is put on my layout without some sore of weathering.

The box car here in front of the freight station was something that I never would have considered running because it had paint spots on it and was a real sad case. It was probably my first attempt.

Picture%20288[1].jpg

this is another example. I don't think I ever saw a "clean" Milwaukee Road locomotive after it had been in service for a while with the exception of the Hiawatha. This took about 10 minutes to do. Once weathered, a quick shot of Dull Coat will seal it in.

IMAG0125_BURST002.jpg

There are a lot of us who were feeling the same way you were. Bite the bullet and experiment with something that you probably won't use.

Didn't have any time to work in the F-3 yesterday. This project will most likely stretch over a number of weekends.

Here's a rail photo for the day.

railroad-tracks-1334401974BzP.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back