Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

L&S: That covered hopper looks good.

I can't stand clutter either, but I keep accumulating stuff, much of which will never see use. My problem is that I get theme swings, somewhat like mood swings, where I'm into the Reading this month, the B&O the next, then I'm pre 1966 PRR, then PC etc. I really need to pick an era, and stick with it. Then I can successfully clean house, and sell off the surplus. In the mean time, everything sits in foot locker sized crates.

JOE I think we may be brothers except for the clutter part. I used to be very well organized, but two moves in the last 10 years plus a year of this stupid cancer surgery and treatment has really changed all that. Now, I cannot seem to find a handle to grab onto to start getting things back in order.

Trussrod has been pulling my chain to get back into a layout again .. and he is winning the tug of war... but there are some things standing in the way. I NEED TO PICK A SCALE AND STICK WITH IT. I have not very much of anything but some expensive odds and ends that I really need to part with.

I started out in HO, then O scale really bit me hard, then came On3 .. then I decided that On30 was the way to go. How I missed N and S along the way is a mystery. A few years ago I decided that I would gather a Lionel collection so I started buying post war locomotives .. then I decided that I was going to restore Lionel and bought a bunch of basket cases locomotives and accessories.

About that time .. spousal unit and neighbor (retired carpenter) got me started onto building decks and inside cabinet work, so the trains slipped by the wayside. I'll try and post a few pictures later on of both trains and other work.

We received about 1/8 of an inch of rain last night. Pitiful showing!
Temp has cooled down .. 63 forecast high today and partly cloudy.

Rambling on down the track ..lol

CHET nice photos .. LASM nice work on the hopper; that's a lot of work, but then, that is what makes it such a nice model.

Almost balmy with the overcast up North here.

Mapping out where this new track is going to go and giving it a once over twice with a bit of cleaning before 'nailing' it down. A quick hit with some emery cloth on the top and just the inside edge of the rails and it's shining like the new stuff, I'm giving them a little light file work on the ends to 'scuff' em up so there is 'fresh' metal on the joins and it's looking good.

I'll run on it tomorrow and see.

Evening All,

Last night one of our female skunks passed away. It happened quickly. Sunday night she started having walking problems and Monday she quit eating, drinking and was lethargic, so we knew what was coming. We made her comfortable and she passed away with her family by her. After I came home after my grandson's field trip my son and I buried her.

The field trip was good today, but it was not the symphony it was a play with singing and dancing about girls can be heroes too. Quintin did not like it.

No work on the cars today, just did not feel like it. Tomorrow I need to do some silicone caulking on the pool deck.

Sherrel- Very nice looking family.

L&S- Nice job on the covered hopper.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening All,

Last night one of our female skunks passed away. It happened quickly. Sunday night she started having walking problems and Monday she quit eating, drinking and was lethargic, so we knew what was coming. We made her comfortable and she passed away with her family by her. After I came home after my grandson's field trip my son and I buried her.

The field trip was good today, but it was not the symphony it was a play with singing and dancing about girls can be heroes too. Quintin did not like it.

No work on the cars today, just did not feel like it. Tomorrow I need to do some silicone caulking on the pool deck.

My sympathies to all who are losing pets at this time, the seasons change brings it on sometimes.

Girls ARE tough! I KNOW! I have two sisters that can prove it and they get it from their Mother!

A little known fact is that a higher % of Women pass Jump School than the Men! There were 12 in my class and 9 passed of the 506 Men 302 passed! It's a three week course. I had NO idea there were even Women THERE till the first weekend and I see this person with LONG blonde hair go BOOKIN through the company area towards the exit and I asked WHAT was a goin on! I was TOO busy doing pushups, running as hard as I could and flinging myself on the ground all day to notice WHO was around me all that first week!

Chicks can RUN!

So sorry to hear the news Curt. I've always wanted to have a skunk for a pet. My Ex-FIL had one, named for his boss. Woodspussies my Dad used to call them. But then, I've always liked unconventional pets. The kids had Ferrets, (as well as cats & dogs) and I've always wanted a pet fox......:rolleyes:

Terry, you livin in a cloud these days?? It was sunny and warm here today, 400 miles to your north.:cool:

Good late afternoon/evening to all my Gandy Dancing & Spike Driving friends,

Hello Flo & Francine, How are you ladies doing this late afternoon? Yes Francine, I think I will have some dinner, what's the special today? Pot roast, potatoes, a choice of vegetables, desert and Coffee. For only $4.25, how do you make any money? Well that sure sounds great, that's what I'll have.

Let see what WW has to say? They say 'Overcast', it was very cloudy all day with huge Cumulus Clouds and I did get a heavy shower earlier and I think it may still be raining lightly?
It's 49.3 °F - Feels Like 49 °F [I had noticed there was a big difference between what they forecast and what it felt like! LoL

The rain from two days ago totaled 2.1", not including what I got today.

The Winds are from the ESE at 2.2 mph;
The Barometer is at 29.89 in/Hg;
The Humidity is 95%,>? Even if it's raining lightly?

I started to write to the forum earlier but figured I'd better get my butt in gear and get back up on my roof to see if there was more I could do as I still had a small leak last night in my bedroom as well as a small one just off the edge of the layout in the garage.

I think what I did made the difference as no more leak in my bedroom and the garage seems to have stopped too! Hoorah, Hoorah!!

JOE I think we may be brothers except for the clutter part. I used to be very well organized, but two moves in the last 10 years plus a year of this stupid cancer surgery and treatment has really changed all that. Now, I cannot seem to find a handle to grab onto to start getting things back in order.

Trussrod has been pulling my chain to get back into a layout again .. and he is winning the tug of war... but there are some things standing in the way. I NEED TO PICK A SCALE AND STICK WITH IT. I have not very much of anything but some expensive odds and ends that I really need to part with.

I started out in HO, then O scale really bit me hard, then came On3 .. then I decided that On30 was the way to go. How I missed N and S along the way is a mystery. A few years ago I decided that I would gather a Lionel collection so I started buying post war locomotives .. then I decided that I was going to restore Lionel and bought a bunch of basket cases locomotives and accessories.

About that time .. spousal unit and neighbor (retired carpenter) got me started onto building decks and inside cabinet work, so the trains slipped by the wayside. I'll try and post a few pictures later on of both trains and other work.

We received about 1/8 of an inch of rain last night. Pitiful showing!
Temp has cooled down .. 63 forecast high today and partly cloudy.

Rambling on down the track ..lol

CHET nice photos ..

LASM nice work on the hopper; that's a lot of work, but then, that is what makes it such a nice model.

Say Sherrel: Ok, so I will pull your chain, TOOOOOT, TOOOOOT, TOOOOOT ! This train is about to proceed forward! All Aboard!

As far as choosing a Gauge to work with that something you and only you will ave to determine. I been in HO so long and have put together a fair number of cars for the early time period I'm in as well as creating my layout for HO I feel very comfortable staying with it. In looking at the other gauges, a larger size such as O, On3$! and Hon3 are nice to see more detail but every thing is twice the size of HO and requires twice the space! While the N gauge is nice I sure wouldn't care to try and do much scratch building in that scale.

The detail on a lot of the modern models has been quite a shock to me. It had been decades since I had really LOOKED at a model train of any kind and the difference is quite noticeable.

The idea of a 'mixed lineage' Loco with more than one company's faded logo on it is pretty cool! Or a 'kitbash' loco of spare bits of different loco's, I'm sure there were more than a few 'Frankensteins' out there over the years. Parts is parts.

Say Para-T: I would say there definitely are. A few years ago I saw a couple of the most delapdated diesels I had ever seen on the UP trackage in Fresno, no cell phone camera at the time but I think they were still running?

First I've got to find out what an App is. :confused:

It's short for Appfel, those red or green things that grow on trees. Would I kid you, not a chance!

Good morning everyone. 33 degrees with light snow at the moment. Snow is expected to fall through the day. The winter storm warning was down graded to a winter weather advisory in the valleys. Got a few inches at the house this morning. Guess we'll see what happens throughout the day.

Sherrel - Like the photo. Looks like they're having as much fun as the trick or treaters.

Toot - Getting used to the Mike. I haven't had much time to spend operating it. Seems to do a good job pulling on the grades. Coming out of the staging tracks and tunnel, the grade is over two and a half percent. It is very sensitive to the DC throttle. No way of notching the speed like you can with a DCC system, but I am happy with it. Replacing the front coupler with an operating one looks like it could be interesting.

WJL126, Boris - I think you're idea of painting over the factory lettering will be the way to go. With some weathering I don't think there should be a problem. Tried a number of different substances and the factory lettering just won't lift.

Have a good day everyone.

Say Chet: A friend told me about a product that only seems to be available at Save Mart, at least here in the Central Valley. It's called, 'Don's Mobile Glass Cleaner', and comes in a tall somewhat thin bottle, maybe a quart. He had the the adhesive strips on the side of his toyota removed which left quite a mess. He applied this glass cleaner to the adhesive gunk and waited a short while and all the stuff wiped right off and the paint and door look like new!

I don't know if it will remove decals but it might be worth a try and I can always be used around the house to remove hard water stains and other things.

Continued:

Added on:

DRAT ...Radar shows quite a bit of rain showers just off shore along the coast. Doesn't help us any for it to rain in the ocean .. Yeah, what's up with that? Anyway, not a cloud in the sky here and not forcast to be any clouds .. Temp will be about 80 on the high side. Supposed to get windy with the Santa Ana winds today - up to 50-60 mph. Mot of times we aren't affected by the Santa Ana's .. It can be totally calm here and 60 mph just 50 miles North of us.

Terry in Wis. We were cheated .. Packers forgot to bring the defensive players with them. I'm going to blame it on the altitude - there! On the other hand .. The Royals really shined! I still cannot believe that throw from the first baseman that allowed the score to be tied. Oh Boy, bet he really feels bad this morning.

Not railroading, but I thought you all would appreciate a cute photo of Halloween!
My youngest daughter, my oldest grandson, and my wife's mother with the candy bowl.

View attachment 53442

A funny thing just happened .. I wrote all this early this morning .. Then the computer ate it while I was looking for the photo. Suddenly, tonight the text re- appeared in the reply box. Go Figure!

Evening All,

Well tonight I will have to say I have the best wife. Today she made reservations for us in January at Cocoa Beach for Prototype Rails, and then made reservations in Camp Hill, PA in May for the annual PRRT&HS meeting.:D:D:D.

Today I spent another couple of hours on a car. I put the stake pockets on, took them off, then modified them and put them back on. For the life of me I could not make the kit instructions work for me. It will most likely mean after painting and decaling I will have to glue the containers to the car. I have the second car to do on Wednesday.

Tomorrow I am a chaperone for the youngest grandson's class that is going to the symphony. It should be fun, I used to play the Cello.

NG- Great haul, you did very well.

Montanan- Nice steamer photos. I also like the photo with the person standing on front of the switcher. You have a winter storm warning and we had temps of 92 F with humidity. Another couple of degrees and it would of been an average July or August day.

20151102_140746_zpsnhnbn2sx.jpg

View attachment 53423

Finished our monthly trip to the Warehouse to replace depleted provisions - sounds serious, eh? Gas was going for $1.75/gallon, but I didn't need any in the car we brought. The other car needs gas though so I have to go back. Regular varies by $0.25/ gallon from station to station, for essentially the same commodity.

Have to run out to the local Lowes, so I may stop for gas then. They are only a block or so apart.

I plan on moving some stuff around in the train room so I can finish the floor. If all goes well, I can start assembling my modules in the train room by the weekend.

Say Joe: the tracks in the foreground appear to be dual gage but it looks like they put the second rail on the outside of the standard gauge track?

Good morning. I can smell the coffee. Time to get a cup. View attachment 53417

The Accuweather app on my phone is forecasting a winter storm warning. Good thing I have my winter tires in the trunk. Time to hit the tire shop. Should have got them on weeks ago but the weather has been fairly mile lately compared to normal.

May as well post a quick picture. Here's my little GE switcher headed down to the scrap yard to drop off an empty Gondola.

View attachment 53418

Say Chet: The switcher looks cute and I like your uneven ties too, they give the track more appeal in my opinion.

Evening All,

Say Curt: Sorry to hear about the los of your pet skunk.

As far as the container car your working on what I find fairly confusing is that there are no end stirrup steps for a man to climb up on yet the hand holds are there..?

Evening All,

Hey Curt, I am very sorry to hear abut your family's loss, but I is good to hear about the quick, peaceful and loving ending; we should all be so blessed.

It's great to hear about the field trip, well done grand dad! My 7 year old grandson complains about girls, my 6 year old grandson is indifferent, how old is Quintin? I tried to get my boys interested in the new Super Girl TV show, but no luck.

God be with you and your family my friend.

Good morning everybody.

47 with 97% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day everybody!

Got'ta admit, it looks lower in the sky than last time, (or your office has moved down a floor)

A nice day up here for a change! Got a chance to get into the trainshow for free and EARLY! Going to go help my new dealer friend move his stuff into the venue the morning of the show! I don't mind helping him It's fun to be on the 'inside' of an event. When my Dad worked for the Michigan D.N.R. back when there was such a thing I got to run the 'life' exhibit with the pheasant eggs hatching at OUTDORAMMA at COBO Hall in Detroit a couple times. The union almost killed the pheasants every year because I was NOT allowed to plug in the heat lamp, had to WAIT for a 'union electrician' to push the plug into the socket! EVERYTIME!

Good morning. Not quite as nice out here. Snow and 31 degrees to start off the day. Too dark to get a picture of anything. Only got about 6 inches of snow overnight, but tith temps right at the freezing point, the roads weren't too bad. Like the winter tires.

Curt - sorry to hear about your loss. I well know what it is like.

Back