Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

40 degrees and rain. Supposed to turn to snow some time tonight.

Yesterday was a nice quiet day like I mentioned. Watched the NASCAR race and then wandered downstairs an ran trains for a while. This is the BLI heavy mike I got from Terry. It's a really nice looking locomotive and now that it has its original chip, it runs fine on DC. It's a bit sensitive to operate with the DC throttle, but is an excellent runner with great low speed control. Here it comes out of hidden staging tracks which are a bit over 2% which is quite a pull and runs through the short main line I have back into hidden staging.

Now I have to find a way to remove the factory lettering so I can re letter it for the Logan Valley. I already tried soaking the lettering with Microsol with no results. ANY IDEAS ????

Here goes.1080p It was nice to finally have time to retreat to the train room.

[video=youtube;VOmh90pg4aE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOmh90pg4aE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ain't that a HONEY of a Loco! I got the same BLI, Heavy Mikado #1430 and it's a WORKER! My favorite at the moment cause of the sounds it makes! When changing direction it just kills me when he 'changes gears' from forward to reverse! LMBO!

Good morning everyone. 33 degrees with light snow at the moment. Snow is expected to fall through the day. The winter storm warning was down graded to a winter weather advisory in the valleys. Got a few inches at the house this morning. Guess we'll see what happens throughout the day.

Sherrel - Like the photo. Looks like they're having as much fun as the trick or treaters.

Toot - Getting used to the Mike. I haven't had much time to spend operating it. Seems to do a good job pulling on the grades. Coming out of the staging tracks and tunnel, the grade is over two and a half percent. It is very sensitive to the DC throttle. No way of notching the speed like you can with a DCC system, but I am happy with it. Replacing the front coupler with an operating one looks like it could be interesting.

WJL126, Boris - I think you're idea of painting over the factory lettering will be the way to go. With some weathering I don't think there should be a problem. Tried a number of different substances and the factory lettering just won't lift.

Have a good day everyone.

Chet, a smaller road like yours would probably have second hand equipment, which would be painted over and patched.
Unless you want to change the number, or the font or olor of the numbers, about the only thing you would need to do is cover the "Southern" on the cab.

I was thinking about that. I can remember when Montana Rail Link first started it's rebuild shop in Livingston. You would see locomotives in faded CNW paint with MRL on the cab.

Good Morning Y'all, It's 44° and sunny in Central NJ. Going to 70°.

These warm temperatures are helping to depress Natural Gas prices which, unless you are an investor, a good thing.

Jersey, has the lowest state gasoline tax in the US - the politicians are trying to fix that - and even with the built in premium for having a "trained" attendant pump your gas for you - Jersey believes its citizens are incapable of safely performing that task - the price per gallon is generally cheaper here than anywhere in the Northeast.

Sherrel: Thanks for sharing the photo of your family. It's good to see your MIL still gets into Halloween.

I moved a considerable amount of stuff around, the train room last night, and have a little more to relocate before I can paint that section of floor. Meanwhile, the leaves keep falling and I never got to drive over to the Home Center yesterday. Since It's going to be a nice day, perhaps the out door activity will win out.

Good Morning All, we have 42 and sun. Headed into the 60's again!!!

I moved a considerable amount of stuff around, the train room last night, and have a little more to relocate before I can paint that section of floor. .

I got motivated to go through a bunch of stuff in my train room as well, however beginning more of a culling process than maintenance. I finished the Proto project (except weathering) and have an inkling to sell off some of my rolling stock which I don't put on the tracks ever.

I am one of those people that cannot STAND clutter so have difficulty accumulating stuff. For sure I have a Mantua 2-6-6-2 that is going also some misc. cars. I made some other recent purchases of stuff that goes best with my theme and feel a need to do some organizing.

Here is one shot of the Hopper will put more on the thread, I can see a couple spots not "perfect", that is the "beauty" of these close up shots...

Hopper2 005.jpg

I was thinking about that. I can remember when Montana Rail Link first started it's rebuild shop in Livingston. You would see locomotives in faded CNW paint with MRL on the cab.

Chet (and Terry): Some other examples would be the PRR / NYC to PC, PC to CR, and CR to NS and CSX. In 1966, when the PRR went from 8" numerals to 16" numerals on the cab, they did not repaint the entire engine they just painted over the old numbers. It is a common practice, among the major carriers, so I think it would work well on the Logan Valley.

I'm sure that I'll come up with something. Here's another example.

1548 Actual Loco.jpg

Like Terry mentioned, a smaller railroad like mine would have probably bought seconf hand equipment, and during the transition era, I'm suare that there were a lot of steam locomotives either on the market for sale of headed to the scrap yards.

I got motivated to go through a bunch of stuff in my train room as well, however beginning more of a culling process than maintenance. I finished the Proto project (except weathering) and have an inkling to sell off some of my rolling stock which I don't put on the tracks ever.

I am one of those people that cannot STAND clutter so have difficulty accumulating stuff. For sure I have a Mantua 2-6-6-2 that is going also some misc. cars. I made some other recent purchases of stuff that goes best with my theme and feel a need to do some organizing.

Here is one shot of the Hopper will put more on the thread, I can see a couple spots not "perfect", that is the "beauty" of these close up shots...

View attachment 53443

L&S: That covered hopper looks good.

I can't stand clutter either, but I keep accumulating stuff, much of which will never see use. My problem is that I get theme swings, somewhat like mood swings, where I'm into the Reading this month, the B&O the next, then I'm pre 1966 PRR, then PC etc. I really need to pick an era, and stick with it. Then I can successfully clean house, and sell off the surplus. In the mean time, everything sits in foot locker sized crates.

Good morning.

Sherrel .. That looks like a fun Halloween for everyone.

Chet .... I saw your photo of the ice house with workers handling the ice blocks. Very nice! Likewise for the BLI 2-8-2. ...
Regarding second hand locomotives: The steel mill on my layout uses second hand Baldwin switchers that have been patched and heavily weathered.

LASM .... I painted my Mantua 2-6-6-2 to resemble the Burlington 2-6-6-2's that were used on the Deadwood Branch in South Dakota near Wyoming for many years. Mine is a "keeper".

My layout room has been cleaned up in recent days along with the entire house. We have out-of-town guests arriving soon. It is my friend, Reggie, from northern Illinois and his wife. Reggie is the guy I named Reggie's Junk Yard after. He has accumulated so much stuff in his lifetime that they now live in the country with large outbuildings to store it. That's why I thought of him when I was naming the junk yard. He owns a very large amount of trains.

You aren't the only person accumulating stuff. While we were doing our remodeling projects, we had a dumpster (a total of 4) in the front yard. We used it no only for the construction projects, but went through the basement where out kids were storing a lot of their stuff. Most of it went and I also found quite a few boxes of model railroad stuff that had been moves around due to a pipe bursting when a frost free hydrant froze. I am finding a number of unbuilt kits and a whole raft of brass detail parts for steam and diesels locomotives. Haven't got a clue what I'm going to do with a lot of it. Also came across a few wood craftsman building kits. Still have to sort through some of it.

WL--Thanks!

LASM .... I painted my Mantua 2-6-6-2 to resemble the Burlington 2-6-6-2's that were used on the Deadwood Branch in South Dakota near Wyoming for many years. Mine is a "keeper".

The 2-6-6-2 is simply too large for my layout. A friend was weaning out his stuff and gave it to me, it is practically brand new. I put it on the track and ran it a little but there simply is not enough physical room to run it along with several cars. Plus, as you did, it would require repainting. It was not my choice of stock so feel like it is taking up space.

View attachment 53443

The detail on a lot of the modern models has been quite a shock to me. It had been decades since I had really LOOKED at a model train of any kind and the difference is quite noticeable.

The idea of a 'mixed lineage' Loco with more than one company's faded logo on it is pretty cool! Or a 'kitbash' loco of spare bits of different loco's, I'm sure there were more than a few 'Frankensteins' out there over the years. Parts is parts.

Good morning everybody!

57 with only 69% humidity under bright sunny skies in southeast Baltimore. They say it will be almost 70 today., not bad for November. No A/C, no heat, I love this time of year.

The 70's and into the 80's was filled with "rebranded/patched" equipment on all the major railroads in Baltimore and all over the northeast. Former NYC and PRR locomotives in the same consist! Who could have imagined? All kinds of colorful matchups, fitting for the 70s I suppose. I don't think you could find a more colorful era for model railroading. Life imitating art and culture? I don't know, but pretty cool stuff if you ask me!

Have a great day everybody!

The snow is still coming down, but the temps are dropping. 32 degrees and going down. Earlier the snow was melting as it hit the roads here, but was sticking at home. I live at a higher elevation. Now it's starting to accumulate on the roads.

IMAG0543.jpg

The radar shows a steady stream of moisture coming right out way. I am located near BZN near the righ center of the radar map. Unfortunately the radar is blocked by mountains to the south of us so you don't get an accurate radar picture.

myl_None_anim.jpg

Knew it was going to come sooner or later.

The snow is still coming down, but the temps are dropping. 32 degrees and going down. Earlier the snow was melting as it hit the roads here, but was sticking at home. I live at a higher elevation. Now it's starting to accumulate on the roads.

YUK!!!!

I live in area with lots of snow lovers, so many here do not share my sentiments. However, after working in the stuff for 40 years I am happy to see a "brown" winter!!!

Chet, the Southern sold off a lot of its surplus steam engines when it dieselized. Many of them, such as 4501, found homes on short lines, and coexisted alongside first generation diesels for a number of years.
I think patching over the "Southern", and stencil-looking reporting letters for your own road would be appropriate. Weather the rest of the engine, as management got the thing cheap, and is planning to simply run it into the gorund.

That is probably what will happen. It would be easy to paint over the Southern markings and just mark it for the LV. Some heavy weathering probably wouldn't hurt either.

Back