Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
This is the new coffee shop.
There's nothing like the smell of fresh paint in the morning...

Good morning again!

Thank you Terry, I love the smell of fresh paint.

I hope somebody brought over the country ham. I have gout and should not eat it, but the future pain is worth every bite!

We have an Esskay Silver Label ham for Christmas eve dinner every year. The best part is knowing I will have left over ham with my breakfast.

Breakfast Christmas morning is my favorite meal; sunny side eggs, fried ham, bacon, sausage and toast. I walk even slower then normal for the next few days because of gout, but it's worth it!

Ham festival.. why can't we have festivals like there here in Baltimore? I would be happy to put up with country music for ham.

If I make it to heaven I am expecting they will serve ham.

Garry I look forward to the picture when you get a chance to post it.

Genetk44 thank you for the information about the cork. I think I will pick some up and give it a try on one of my temporary layouts.

Don't work to hard in the yard today Tony. Speaking of yard work that reminds me I have to cut the grass.

Have a great day everybody!

Afternoon All,

Not much to report. I will be going to the train club in a couple of hours so I probably won't be back today. Thank you all for the kind words about my photo.

Louis- A caution on the cork roll. When I first was putting down track someone gave me a partial roll of cork like that. I found that it always wanted to go back to the rolled shape. I cut out pads for turnouts, glued them down but still had to use track nails on the edges and some times still got a uneven edge. I ended up just ripping it all up and using standard cork road bed.

I hope everyone has a good day and night.

Howdy ...

We're leaving for the festival in an hour or two. ... Meanwhile ....

These are two photos I took at the St Louis Museum of Transport several years ago..... B&O #50 is coupled to MILW Bi-Polar electric locomotive in a string of notable locomotives.

BO%2050_zpsmpjsz4l9.jpg

milw_zpsiumo5ozs.jpg

Terry- Thank you for the link. I'd get lost without it.

Smell of paint roused me but I ignored it and drifted back to dreamland.
So many choice games on the tube, not sure what to watch.
Hope all are well

Garry- I'll be in touch later. I'll have both my R E A cars out for a good description. I'll call on the cell.
Phil

Good morning balast tampers and spike drivers,
Hello Flo and Francine, you have Jeffrey's dinner freshened up I see, I can't get over it how you ladies can do it? Oh you had extra help over night! I see Garry was good enough to bring in another bunch of Donuts and they look good with a cup of coffee. Thanks.

Checking WW: Says, Clear at 91.4 °F - Feels Like 89 °F -still feels hot to me;
Winds are Variable at 3.2 mph from the SSE
Barometer is at: 30.00 in/Hg;
Humidity is: 28%;

Say Garry: Thanks for the interesting shots. I see three things of interest in your shots: The 1st. is that the B&O car has a depression in the lower portion of the verticle grab irons to attach it to the frame of the car as well as with a lower smaller grab section when first climbing on the steps as well as a grab iron at the base of the door. Interesting.

Next I'm a bit confused about the Loco and it's grab irons or what appears the lack of? I see the one that gows along the side and carries around to the end but don't see any on the side near the end to climb up from the ground? Likewise I don't see any on either side of the cab door or below it either. Strange.

I'm also amazed at how this kind of Loco can have so many drivers in a group as it does and still negotiate fairly tight radiuses? It looks like four to a truck in the center section and they all appeared to be flanged on the MILW Bi-Polar electric locomotive.

Hope you all have a good day

Oh Lynn B, Welcome to the forums. Your ride choice is yours, that's the problem with having choces. Bikes are great just be cautious of other drivers as your probably well aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All,

Louis- A caution on the cork roll. When I first was putting down track someone gave me a partial roll of cork like that. I found that it always wanted to go back to the rolled shape. I cut out pads for turnouts, glued them down but still had to use track nails on the edges and some times still got a uneven edge. I ended up just ripping it all up and using standard cork road bed.

I hope everyone has a good day and night.

Thats true about the cork...what I did was roll it out flat on the floor and lay weights on it for a few days to take the curl out...THEN I glued it to the plywood with contact cement...again with weights on it for a few days...never had any trouble with it after that.

Hey "Tony The Wombat": Hey Mate, didn't you have some HO chain link fence you were going to part with or decided you didn't want to use? Might have been something like 6 months ago when I first got going. I've been thinking I might could it use it now.

Garry, didn't you mention about using plain old wire screen in some of your junkyard fencing? I don't recall seeing it. How did you do the posts and/or gates?

Just thinking ahead. Don't be looking for any new fencing pictures coming soon. Unless someone wants to come by with some epees, helmets and a vest. I fenced in college for a while.
E.

GARRY- Lost your cell #. Sent you an "E" with mine. Call whenever you feel like it.

Phil

Terry- Thanks for the cold one. Toasting the "GATORS" as they are heading for a SIX and O start for the S E C season.
Phil

Garry great photos, thank you! Did you bring some ham for us?

I hope our friend 113 gets to see those pictures, I know he will enjoy them!

Curt and everybody, thanks for sharing your experience, I greatly appreciate it!!!

I have said it before I will say it again "this place is better then any magazine!" Easy access to so many experts is priceless!

Thank You Everybody!

Good morning everybody!

46 with 94% humidity under beautiful clear and starry skies in southeast Baltimore.

This is a great time of the year, Playoff baseball, the NFL, preseason NBA and NHL! This is almost as good a Christmas, ALMOST! :)

Have a great day everybody!

Hi, hi, hi! Getting there!
WIN_20151010_195806.JPG
WIN_20151010_195824.JPGThe 1/2 inch MDF is looking GOOD and it is not as 'dusty' as I thought it would be when cut.

AHH ! The magical aroma of fresh brewed coffee. Thanks TERRY . And cinnamon doughnuts fresh from the oven.

Louis- Wish I was one of the fantastic modelers here that share their expertise . All I can offer is my admiration and thanks for sharing.

GARRY- I found your 'phone number. Whatever one searches for it is ALWAYS in the last place. When you are up to it, leave a message here or just call me. My number is on your "E" .

It's 69 F , will hit about 85. Scattered showers likely.
Phil

N G -- How wide is that drag strip along the wall ?

Three feet wide along the wall with a 4' x 54" spot for turning the 'Big Boys' without a turntable/roundhouse. The bit going across out from the shelf is 4' wide by 24' long.
WIN_20151011_075610.JPG

Good morning. Clear and on the way to 80f today. Supposedly.

BigE: I use toule for fencing. You can get it in the ribbon sections of wallyworld or craft stores.I use the 3/4 width. I use florist wire and glue it all together with CA gel.
First I made a jig because I needed alot of fencing:

IMG_0448.jpg

You can see the spool of toule to the upper right.

here's some pics after spray painting and weathering:

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

100_1756.jpg

The first attempts were weak, but I'm getting better.
Hope that helps!!
Terry in NW Wisconsin

Back