Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good morning: 42°, and sunny this morning. Going up near 70° again today. It's been absolutely beautiful the last couple of days.

Curt: Sorry for your loss.

Sherrel: David is right you should get back into it. There are a lot of choices, but the key is picking a scale you can be most happy working with. Lets face it, as we "mature" O scale is easier on the eyes.

David: There is no dual gauge in Jersey. The rail you are referring to is the remnant of the lead to the freight station and public delivery track at Jamesburg. That piece of rail has been there since the '80s. The weeds in the background, hide another track, a run around last used around 1990.

Jamesburg NJ 10-31-2015.jpg

My quarterly visit to the doctor is this morning. Once that's over, I can resume the fall yard work.

Good Morning, all; pretty foggy here this morning. Here is a shot from my office:

Flat bed 026.jpg

I wrapped up some small projects last night and started getting stuff together for ebay. Stuff that never gets layout time is going down the road, since I have made some purchases lately I don't want anything collecting dust!!

Flat bed 007.jpg

The Mantua comes in original box and has the certificate and lifetime guarantee and product registration card, if that means anything

Flat bed 010.jpg

The caboose is a low cost model, but I upgraded the couplers and trucks, added windows and weathering

Flat bed 014.jpg

The stock car has upgraded couplers and some powders applied.

Too Much Stuff!!!

Good Morning, all; pretty foggy here this morning. Here is a shot from my office:

View attachment 53470

I wrapped up some small projects last night and started getting stuff together for ebay. Stuff that never gets layout time is going down the road, since I have made some purchases lately I don't want anything collecting dust!!

View attachment 53471

The Mantua comes in original box and has the certificate and lifetime guarantee and product registration card, if that means anything

View attachment 53472

The caboose is a low cost model, but I upgraded the couplers and trucks, added windows and weathering

View attachment 53473

The stock car has upgraded couplers and some powders applied.

Too Much Stuff!!!

Gonna be doing that soon too,,,,eBay yard sale....

I am setting the starting price at $50 but hope it goes up??? There is some paint which has flaked off in a couple spots but I know it has barely been run. It has mostly sat in the box. The lights operate forward and reverse, I had it on the track last night and checked everything out.

It still has not been listed so it could be sold direct still. Send a pm. THANKS

I would consider trading it for stuff with Northern Pacific markings in the transition era.

It's a good thing that I have EENUFF locomotives or I would put in a bid, but I don't think it would work on a 90 foot turntable.

63 this morning - looks like clearing sky and forecast to be about 71.

LASM See, That's my problem. Every time I see something I like I want to change scales. Nice little loco.

OK, got to get busy and haul off the remnants of a wooden side fence from my youngest daughters yard. Posts were rotted off at the base and the wind blew over 5 sections .. so will be busy cleaning up and building part of a wooden fence for next couple days.

Curt Bless its little heart! Sorry to hear of the loss of a pet. I still tear up over a couple of my past ones who went before their time.

say JOE The RFD railroad show had a very nice spread on the Pennsy E units Monday. They sure look purdy wh
en they are polished up.

Here is something not seen every day!

Austin_Texas_Central_RDS15_442_ii.jpg

Have a good day, back later! (if anyone cares)

It's a good thing that I have EENUFF locomotives or I would put in a bid, but I don't think it would work on a 90 foot turntable.

I've been eyeing this piece of track I got from the dealer guy for my attempt at a scratch built turntable. It will give me a 'bridge' 174' 2 and 19/32" long. I need at least 130 'feet' for the Riv 'Big Boy'. LOL! It's a nice looking piece of track, says "Made in Italy" on it, nothing else.

Thinking a mostly manual turntable should not be too difficult to 'slap together'! A 'slideable' 'dead' bridge would eliminate the need for an auto reverser as the track would have what ever polarity the track you butt it up against has. I've been using a piece of flex at a 'dead end' in exactly that way, just pull the loco on under its own power, detach it and slide it around, re attach and away it goes, facing the other way!

Good morning folks.

Edit: Curt, sorry to hear about the loss of your family pet. You have my condolences.

It's cloudy and unseasonably warm. Well, that means 60's! Tomorrow we slide back down to highs in the 40's-50's and lows near freezing. I have to mow the lawn one more time to chop up the leftover leaves. I'm not one to rake it all to the curb for pick up. Chopping it up works just as well and adds organic material to the lawn. Won't be using the lawn mower again until MAY!

I started building another building kit for the layout. Figure I better get the spray painting out of the way before it's too cold outside. Pretty soon here I'll have to think about painting the backdrop behind Mankato. That way I can place the buildings again.

Time for a refresh on the coffee. Have a good day everyone!

Walthers sells a kit or pre assembled 130 foot turntable. I built their 90 foot turntable, and it was a pain in the butt.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Walthers-HO-933-2850-Motorized-130-Turntable-DCC-p/933-2850.htm

This is the pre assembled turntable. I would recommend this one. If I knew that the kit was such a pain, I would have got the pre assembled version.

Here's my 90 footer.

View attachment 53476

YIKES! Two forty nine, ninety and five??? OY! Can't do THAT kinda stuff right now!

Scratch build it is!

YIKES! Two forty nine, ninety and five??? OY! Can't do THAT kinda stuff right now!

Scratch build it is!

Yes, expensive. After building the kit during which I think I used up all of my colorful words, I wish that I would have bought the pre assembled version.

You could also look at flea bay and fins something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Scale-Tr...814011?hash=item3d079e35bb:g:D7wAAOSwT5tWM7hp

Diamond Scale makes a great turntable kit. I built one for a friend years ago. Easy assembly and a lot easier to build than the Walthers kit. Here's their website.

http://www.diamond-scale.com/products__turntables.htm

I had the motorizing kit for the Walthers turntable and it worked like c**p. I ended up using the manual crank that I still had for the Diamond Scale kit I built years ago and motorized.

I might just offer the dealer guy the Amtrak set for one of the turntables he has! (I'll throw in a Brutus 10 amp transformer if he balks!) I noticed he was VERY proud of his O gage E units and he does run HO too!

That and/or a hundred or so of his 'doorstop' rollers he was kicking all over the garage!

Evening All,

Thank you everyone that has had the kind words for my family and myself.

Looks like it is almost time to move again. Today I spent another couple of hours on my kits. I attached the stake pockets on the second car. I had to remove and re-glued one of the vertical ends that had a slight inward bend that prevented a container from fitting behind it. I also did some measuring on the car ends then glued angle irons on in preparation of mounting wire gussets tomorrow. That is the last major thing to do, but there are several other more minor things to apply. It has been an experience.

David- Yep, it does look funny now. Since the side of the cars are so thin the stirrups are glued on and drilled holes are not used. The stirrups are the last step during construction.

Louis- Quintin is 8. There is a little girl in our neighborhood that looks like she is 5 or 6 that frequently knocks on our door looking for him.

WJLI26- Nice photo.

Logandsawman- Nice pictures.

20150809_110750_zps8zu6dlsg.jpg

Montanan- I have the latest DCC 130 ft TT, although I don't use that function. Supposedly a Y6b will fit on it. The biggest loco I have had on it is a PRR J1 (2-10-4) with a rigid frame and my Dad's WM 2-6-6-2. No issues on either.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, somehow I missed your earlier post about losing one of your 4 legged family members. I'm sorry to hear about it.

We seem to be stuck in "Groundhog Day" here, where every day is a copy of the previous day. So far, it has lightly rained and been carbon-copies for at least the last 5 days. Yuck...

In an extremely convoluted trade deal, I somehow became the proud owner of a brass O scale PRR N8 caboose. I'm trying to find out more about it, but all my searches for an identical model have come up empty. I'll see if I can post a photo of it, maybe our O Gaugers will recognize it.

Back