Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

For less than a hundred bucks I got 25 pieces of new flex, a couple dozen sectional straights, a FEW dozen pieces of sectional 18"'s (WOO HOO!)

7 turnouts, three bridges and assorted fallderall, some cork roadbed, AND 16 rollers, not too shabby!

Great Buy!!!

Great Buy!!!

THANKS! The more I look the more I like! The crane works, the covered hopper car opens, I think two of the coaches are rivs and one may even light up if I figure it out, it's awful heavy. He 'threw in' two bridge riser sets even though 1 is N scale I don't mind(train show!) three dc transformers that I WILL use to control accessories. This is the guy I been looking for, his trash is my treasure! A lot of em have wheel and or coupler issues BUTT I'm going to re-couple and wheel everything over time so I'm not picky when it comes to rollers, I'll pull anything on the M.C.U.!

PLUS, he's a dealer and will be at the show! I'll pump him for who to go to for my metal wheels and couplers if he does not have em.

I may have found my 'in' to the local community, he KNOWS I'll be back for more boxcars!( Even if they need some work, it was work I was going to do anyhoo and at a buck a pop, heck YEA!)

new guy - You did get a heck of a deal. Even if you have to do a bit of work to the rolling stock, you're probably way ahead of the game. Nice buy.

NG: That's a helluva score you got there.
Except for the cars, 1 piece of flex and 2 pieces of roadbed I wouldn't have any need for any of it.
However, at that price it'd be worth having and holding onto for future use or for bartering or re-selling right now.
E

Evening All,

Well tonight I will have to say I have the best wife. Today she made reservations for us in January at Cocoa Beach for Prototype Rails, and then made reservations in Camp Hill, PA in May for the annual PRRT&HS meeting.:D:D:D.

Today I spent another couple of hours on a car. I put the stake pockets on, took them off, then modified them and put them back on. For the life of me I could not make the kit instructions work for me. It will most likely mean after painting and decaling I will have to glue the containers to the car. I have the second car to do on Wednesday.

Tomorrow I am a chaperone for the youngest grandson's class that is going to the symphony. It should be fun, I used to play the Cello.

NG- Great haul, you did very well.

Montanan- Nice steamer photos. I also like the photo with the person standing on front of the switcher. You have a winter storm warning and we had temps of 92 F with humidity. Another couple of degrees and it would of been an average July or August day.

20151102_140746_zpsnhnbn2sx.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

THANKS GUYS! Yours are the only informed opinions I have access to so it means a lot if y'all think I 'done good'!

I'm in a 'grab it now and figure it out later' action mode! This thing is so 'yuge' and I'm so nondiscriminatory when it comes to what I'll run, I'm just grabbing everything that 'might go on a layout someday' and piling it up!

Exactly! Right about what I absolutely CANNOT use I'll just give to someone starting out. I've just about got a 'starter set' of E-Z track and stuff I really won't use and am saving it for a worthy someone who is into or should GET into trains. If one of the REALLY small nephews gets all riled up about the layout, it would give ME Joy to drop it off at Christmas!

40 degrees and rain. Supposed to turn to snow some time tonight.

Yesterday was a nice quiet day like I mentioned. Watched the NASCAR race and then wandered downstairs an ran trains for a while. This is the BLI heavy mike I got from Terry. It's a really nice looking locomotive and now that it has its original chip, it runs fine on DC. It's a bit sensitive to operate with the DC throttle, but is an excellent runner with great low speed control. Here it comes out of hidden staging tracks which are a bit over 2% which is quite a pull and runs through the short main line I have back into hidden staging.

Now I have to find a way to remove the factory lettering so I can re letter it for the Logan Valley. I already tried soaking the lettering with Microsol with no results. ANY IDEAS ????

Here goes.1080p It was nice to finally have time to retreat to the train room.

[video=youtube;VOmh90pg4aE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOmh90pg4aE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet: Great video.Great Layout. The Mike looks and sounds good. I see you have a Sykesville on your layout also. The lettering must be pad printed ink. It will still be there if you remove the paint. The only short term solution, short of a complete strip and repaint, is to patch paint over the old lettering and apply new lettering over the patch.

Curt: The flat car looks great. Can't wait to see the completed model. You should exhibit it at Cocoa Beach. Thanks for the heads up on the containers. When the PRR ended LCL service, the containers were repurposed into storage sheds and found near car repair tracks and engine pits and tool houses. Lasted in to Conrail, and no doubt, some are still in use. The recent PCRRHS Magazone the PC Post, shows one mounted on a flat car assigned to a wreck train.

WJLI26- You can also look on the Mount Vernon decal site. They sell a different style container. They look like concrete containers to me, but I may be wrong.

I've had really good luck removing the lettering using Microsol, but it has been on Athearn and MDC equipment.

Looking good on the build Curt. What ever did you do for your wife to get her to treat you so good. Cocoa Beach is a good place to be in January. The get together in Camp Hill sounds very interesting also. Unfortunately we are a little far removed from many of the railroad venues. We do try to get to some when we travel, but it's the luck of the draw to have any fall close by on our travel routes. ENJOY !!!

Chet, the way the sound in DC control reacts to load/voltage applied to the loco with BLI is one of their particularly pleasing features. My very first "Bluelines" I had, especially the GE C30-7's (although as Terry showed me was completely non-prototypical), I could do virtual manual notching of the motor sound with the DC cab, but at the same time, smooth acceleration.

Good morning, fellow Rail Layers and Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, Glad your keeping Jeffreys' Dinner open and the place is open and dry and warm with all this wet weather.

Per WW lets see what they say, the rains finally came - actually it's still raining at around 1:00 Pm but I had a drip in my bedroom and figured I better try and fix it. I not sure if I did or not? I would estimate the rain fall at about 1.5",
lets see what they say, it's now 4:47 Pm and the rain has stopped.

It was raining, Temp is 46.9 °F - Feels Like 46 °F at 4:47 Pm;
Wind from West at 3.2 mph; No so everything is calm
The Barometer is at: 29.77 in/Hg:
Humidity is at: 98%

The hour makes the difference between having kids hit by busses in the dark or in the morning light, the drivers need the light to avoid hitting the kids! Cause kids do not look!

Say Paratrooper: It's really only half an hour as you also have to move it back again later and then you loose the the supposed hour your falsely gained. But also as the days get shorter it also get darker earlier too. As far as the kids, you and I as well as many others on the forum were kids when there was no such thing as time change and we learned to deal with being extra cautious realizing cars and buses etc couldn't see us that easily so we had to watch what the heck we were doing. That's how we learned to reason and think for ourselves and use our heads, at least many of us and it's proof as we are still here even though we didn't have someone coddling us but in most cases parents taught us to safety and what to be cautious of. Some individuals are very absent-minded though, even adults. My long time good friend Ken Barnhardt, who himself a College Professsor Teaching Engineering at UCLA, in Calif., told me about another professor friend who was really absent minded as he said his friend would be driving and after they'd get started going somewhere after about 5 minutes his mind was totally elsewhere! He even said it was really freaky to ride with him! I also knew a young fellow of about 14 who myself and another friend had to stop as he was going to walk right out into cross traffic without thinking. So it can happen
but it not the general rule. At least to my thinking.

Good Morning group. It's 52° and overcast, with a touch of fog this morning.

No joy among Mets fans this morning, as the Amazins again lived up to their unpredictability by forgetting their baseball skills. As they used to say, in Brooklyn, Wait until next year....

David: For what it's worth, Railroads used to remain on Standard time year round until 1967. Since then Railroad time changes twice a year. I think it was a change in Federal Law.

Chet: Nice scene with the critter. Get the tires mounted, the weather people may be right...

Say Joe: Thanks for bringing that up, it's appreciated and something I didn't know. I was going by what local friend Joe told me that he learned from his Dad but as I recall his dad retired about the time the change took place?

Got the winter tires on, and looking at the mess headed my way on the radar, probably got the job done just in time.

Not really wanting winter quite yet.

Say Chet: It seems lik you just got them changed in the nick of time as the old saying goes.

View attachment 53423

Finished our monthly trip to the Warehouse to replace depleted provisions - sounds serious, eh? Gas was going for $1.75/gallon, but I didn't need any in the car we brought. The other car needs gas though so I have to go back. Regular varies by $0.25/ gallon from station to station, for essentially the same commodity.

Have to run out to the local Lowes, so I may stop for gas then. They are only a block or so apart.

I plan on moving some stuff around in the train room so I can finish the floor. If all goes well, I can start assembling my modules in the train room by the weekend.

Joe: Wow, Gas prices sure are reasonable there in New Jersey, not so here in Central Calif. I'm glad your getting closer to where you can start working on your layout and sure your getting anxious too!

DRAT ...Radar shows quite a bit of rain showers just off shore along the coast. Doesn't help us any for it to rain in the ocean .. Yeah, what's up with that? Anyway, not a cloud in the sky here and not forcast to be any clouds .. Temp will be about 80 on the high side. Supposed to get windy with the Santa Ana winds today - up to 50-60 mph. Mot of times we aren't affected by the Santa Ana's .. It can be totally calm here and 60 mph just 50 miles North of us.

Terry in Wis. We were cheated .. Packers forgot to bring the defensive players with them. I'm going to blame it on the altitude - there! On the other hand .. The Royals really shined! I still cannot believe that throw from the first baseman that allowed the score to be tied. Oh Boy, bet he really feels bad this morning.

Not railroading, but I thought you all would appreciate a cute photo of Halloween!
My youngest daughter, my oldest grandson, and my wife's mother with the candy bowl.

image.jpeg

A funny thing just happened .. I wrote all this early this morning .. Then the computer ate it while I was looking for the photo. Suddenly, tonight the text re- appeared in the reply box. Go Figure!

I've had really good luck removing the lettering using Microsol, but it has been on Athearn and MDC equipment.

Terry: I tried that on a Bowser (Stewart - Anjin) Baldwin Cab, I wanted to remove the number. The Microsol removed the paint, but not the number, which was printed into the bare plastic. I patched that using Scalecoat II and the old number was still visible under the patch. (More or less, just like the prototype).

Curt: Again, thanks. I believe the ones Mt. Vernon sells are air activated dry bulk. I think these containers had a longer service life, vs. the LCL containers.

Good morning, fellow Rail Layers and Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, Glad your keeping Jeffreys' Dinner open and the place is open and dry and warm with all this wet weather.

Per WW lets see what they say, the rains finally came - actually it's still raining at around 1:00 Pm but I had a drip in my bedroom and figured I better try and fix it. I not sure if I did or not? I would estimate the rain fall at about 1.5",
lets see what they say, it's now 4:47 Pm and the rain has stopped.

It was raining, Temp is 46.9 °F - Feels Like 46 °F at 4:47 Pm;
Wind from West at 3.2 mph; No so everything is calm
The Barometer is at: 29.77 in/Hg:
Humidity is at: 98%

Say Paratrooper: It's really only half an hour as you also have to move it back again later and then you loose the the supposed hour your falsely gained. But also as the days get shorter it also get darker earlier too. As far as the kids, you and I as well as many others on the forum were kids when there was no such thing as time change and we learned to deal with being extra cautious realizing cars and buses etc couldn't see us that easily so we had to watch what the heck we were doing. That's how we learned to reason and think for ourselves and use our heads, at least many of us and it's proof as we are still here even though we didn't have someone coddling us but in most cases parents taught us to safety and what to be cautious of. Some individuals are very absent-minded though, even adults. My long time good friend Ken Barnhardt, who himself a College Professsor Teaching Engineering at UCLA, in Calif., told me about another professor friend who was really absent minded as he said his friend would be driving and after they'd get started going somewhere after about 5 minutes his mind was totally elsewhere! He even said it was really freaky to ride with him! I also knew a young fellow of about 14 who myself and another friend had to stop as he was going to walk right out into cross traffic without thinking. So it can happen but it not the general rule. At least to my thinking.

I was just pointing out the reason I had heard for why we must do it.

I always thought it was a hassle. Like for the last two days all I've heard is the clock 12 feet up the living room wall needs to be changed and I HATE getting up on a ladder for ANY reason!

It speaks to the entire notion of how 'joe public' is so stoooopid he can barely breath without being reminded HOW to do so!

I say let the 'Darwin Effect' handle it the way it is supposed to and if they can't look both ways it is probably for the best they do not pass on those genes!

I say let the 'Darwin Effect' handle it the way it is supposed to and if they can't look both ways it is probably for the best they do not pass on those genes!

Is not Darwin anymore, they can't take their eyes off their smart phones. Just that their smart phones ain't smart enough to watch out for traffic either. (Ooooo! an idea for an App!)

Is not Darwin anymore, they can't take their eyes off their smart phones. Just that their smart phones ain't smart enough to watch out for traffic either. (Ooooo! an idea for an App!)

GREAT idea!

I hope you make a brazillian dollars! LOL!

Back