Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

Greetings. 56*F cloudy and drizzley in central MD. MOH is away at a conference in Cleveland thru Friday. Not much in the way of mrr activity going on, other than I'll be going to an op session Friday night at some guy's house in PA, just over the state border. Hope to see a few of my friends there.

Good morning :D Starting off at 48 degrees with clear skies this morning.

Curt - the bridge really looks good. Appreciate the photo updates. I like the Y6 a lot. Love the huge cylinders on the front engine. I have always been a fan of them. Yeats ago I almost got one, but it would not have shown up on a railroad like I am modeling. The two brass articulated locomotives I have, plus the Riverossi Challenger rarely see any track time. The two brass ones would put you bridge to a test. They are both extremely heavy, but can they pull a train. Keep the pictures coming.

Looks like there may be a bidding war of the B&O articulated locomotive. That's a sweet locomotive. I'm lucky though, because as I mentioned above, it's too large a locomotive for the type of railroad I am modeling. I'll just sit back and see who gets it.

I haven't seen many pictures in recent posts, so here's one of my hobos.

IMAG0287.jpg

Morning fellers. 62 and cloudy here. High only 77 later but only 20% chance of rain.

I was just thinking about weather powder(s). I saw an article or video recently about it. The guy mentioned about how "we all know powder gets all over everything."

Makes me wonder if it's similar, if not the same stuff, as finger-print dusting powder. If any of you have ever seen a crime scene after the CSI print team has come through, that stuff gets all over everything just like that guy's comment about weathering powders.
I'd bet finger-print powder would work just fine.

E

Perhaps even laser printer toner for that matter.

Good morning. 57°, overcast with an East wind. When I stepped out, it was very Fall like, and not the summery weather the Chamber of Commerce likes to portray.

Curt: That's a great job on the bridge.

I'm having troubles finding weathering powder at my usual places. MBK, Woodland Scenic etc.
I only have that 1 sand bin I want to do for now so I need very little. Either a black, creosote, or blackish-brown would be fine.
Little help please.

I came up with a great idea while having some discussions with others elsewhere about ballasting track and glues. Someone mentioned using a spray bottle for applying the glue but then I'd have to be sure to keep rail heads wiped down right away.
This morning it occurred to me that you super-crafters who like to weather or paint your track ties would have the same issue of dirtying up the railhead.
I have, what I think is a good idea for that. Take a section of tubing - what ever length you want - diameter depends on your rail scales. I'm thinking 1/8-1/4 for HO. Cut a slit all the way down it and simply slip it on, paint and glue away, pull the tubing off and you're done. No cleanup needed for the rails.
The trick would be to cut your slit straight. A hook-blade, like roofers use, would certainly help with that.

E

Good morning, we have 54 and fog.

E--I don't know about the fingerprint dust. Weathering powders go a long way, I bought a small assortment when I started in the hobby and am still using them.

I found that fine powdered clay (like from a clay clod in my garden), fully dried, makes a nice weathering product. Not for something you handle frequently.

Good morning, again.
Waiting to be interviewed by somebody from Popular Mechanics. It will probably never see its way into print, but you never know.

I've listed the EM1 in the for sale section here. It's $200+ shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'll head upstairs and paint my lamp post bases I made the other day so I can mount them later.

Weathering powders and weathering washes may be purchased on line directly from AIM Products.

I use the powders and they work well. I have not used their washes, but have used some weathering washes I got from Micro Mark a few years ago.

The link to AIM is below.

http://www.aimprodx.com/index.php

Chet ... I like the hobo scene.... The NP 4-6-6-4 from an AHM UP Challenger must have been a fun project

Last edited by a moderator:
Weathering powders and weathering washes may be purchased on line directly from AIM Products.

I use the powders and they work well. I have not used their washes, but have used some weathering washes I got from Micro Mark a few years ago.

Thanks Garry. They have nice little assortment of 4 colors I would like. (#2901)
Went to checkout. Golly mercy!!! $20 USD shipping for something about 1 oz.
I don't think so!.
I've emailed them to see if they will do better on that.
We'll see.
Seems I spend more time searching and researching about stuff than I actually do on the physical efforts of the project at hand.
Sometimes it makes me feel I'm being a pest to you all.
Since I buy practically everything specific to this hobby online, I have to rely on as much information as I can get before taking the chance of getting the wrong thing then have to pay return shipping and then more shipping to get the correct thing.
I'm sure we all understand that.
So far, only one thing was the wrong thing and it was so cheap I'm not worried about it.

Thanks for being there for us fellers who don't get out much. :D
E

Chet ... I like the hobo scene.... The NP 4-6-6-4 from an AHM UP Challenger must have been a fun project

The locomotive was a Riverossi, but was fun. I do have quite a few black and whites of the prototype and it really didn't differ much from the UP version. What really go me is that 6 months later Keystone came out with a beautiful brass version.

Neither is now run in regular service. The riverossi sits on a shelf and the Keystone lives in its box and they are put on the track periodically and run to keep things lubricated.

Oopsie!! My bad. $19.90 was the total. $9.95 was the shipping.
Still high, but the guy emailed back me saying he would be happy to just send me the stuff and then bill me for the actual shipping cost - which he agreed shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.

Now that's some great service in my book!!!
By the way Garry, he said to "also tell your friend thanks for sending you [me] my way."

New email arrived. Shipment goes out tomorrow morning.
He'll invoice me after he knows the ship amount.

Truly great service!!
That's refreshing to see these days.
E.

OK .. It's 62 degrees and with the usual "June Gloom".
Forcast:
Thursday 06/04 0% / 0 in
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High around 75F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.

Sad part is it really looked like rain when I left this morning, but like the politicians... They promise one thing after another and never deliver on any!

Took the 98 p/u in for a check and oil change this morning. My favorite self owned mechanic guy said, "well, see you next year" as I left. Truck only has 98378 miles on it. With the medical issues this year .. I have not driven it hardly any.

Meanwhile, trying to install and hook up a laundry room sink for the spousal unit. Although I'm a pretty good plumber .. I just hate doing it. Getting too hard to make my body get up and down anymore. Just cannot tell you how much I hate getting older. Excuse my French, but it just plain sux!

Got another infusion date for 2pm, so better git moving.
Happy day to all ....

Sherrel - getting old is a bi**h. I try not to admit it, but when try do things that used to be easy and now become a big shore, I guess you have to admit it. Out remodeling project is something that used to not bother me at all, but it sure seems a lot more difficult doing the same work now. Plumbing. Gonna have a lot of that with two bathrooms to remodel. Not looking forward to it.

Back