Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

Good morning y'all. 52°, and overcast at the Jersey Shore. In the past 24 hours, we have gone from air conditioning back to heat :rolleyes:. We have had about 1½" of rain over the past 36 hours, although that amount varied widely. The weather station 3 miles to the East reported .80" during the same time frame, while 4 miles to the South, they recorded over 5" with flooding. Go figure? :confused:

Terry: I'm happy that your wife is OK, and that your "Postal" issues are resolved.

About twenty years ago, we had a neighbor who was entirely too interested in our personal affairs. We were both out during the day, which gave the neighbor ample time to scrutinize the content of our mail box, and to open or remove what interested them. This was before surveillance cameras were readily available, so the only real solution was to rent a PO box, which we did for about 10 years. Since you retain the street address and mail delivery of mail to "resident" or "occupant" you still get daily mail delivery. However, it did negatively impact our relationship with our mortgage company, and credit card providers, who considered us more "skip prone", because we no longer used a street address to a brick and mortar residence, (even though every one of them used a post office box as their contact address). :confused::confused:

There were several excellent articles in the latest RMC. The latest MR arrived yesterday, but I haven't looked at that yet. I'm about halfway through the new MRH, so it's next to read.

Today looks like a good day to disconnect my electrical connections to the old layout, so I can dismantle the 5'x10' Island. Nwwd to do that before I can move on to the next phase in the rebuilding.

Have a great day.

Overhead lighting is the easiest and best solution for lighting, but being that you can't mount anything on the ceiling, I think you may be between a rock and a hard space.

As far as your work bench goes, not bad, not bad at all. I can't even see the top of my work bench. Right now, I can't even get into the room because items from the rooms that are getting flooring are sitting in the room along with all of the baseboards. As soon as I can get into the room, I think it will be time for a major purge being that I have a construction dumpster outside. I will have a clean workbench - - - - - sometime.

Actually, I have one of those clamp-on lights but the clamp is missing.
I could probably put a small hook and hang it from on high. The landlord is a pretty cool guy - with me anyhow.
I thought he was going to have kittens when I built this layout up stairs. Au contraire, he loves it!
He's even suggested I expanded it to have it run around both rooms upstairs. When I said that would be great and that he wouldn't then mind that I take out two interior walls... etc.... I could see the color in his face going away.
He happens to also the be the chief building inspector in this area and top-dog in the building authority at city hall.

Chet, my offer to help with flooring and/or remodeling stands. Just get me there. Will work for food and beer - #7 for tips and good behavior. I haven't been up to the "Big Sky" country in a loooonnnnngg time. Probably 30 years or more.

Guess I'll strap on some proper clothes and ease up to the grocery store. I'm taming a feral cat and have no food for him. I've gotten him to take a piece of cheese from my hand and he'll even come in for a bit when weather gets nasty. A year ago you couldn't get within 50 yards of him without him taking off. He's a "nervous Nellie" for sure. I have to leave the door open and let him come in on his own.
E.

Those clamp light are very handy. I use them for lighting when taking photos in the train room. With a drop ceiling, there's always a place to clamp it. They're always handy when doing detail work on the layout too. Plumbing under a cabinet ? Don't need anyone to hold a flashlight. Always keep a couple handy.

OK!!! That will work! How about these apples!?

The little square specimens are the bases for my new double-head lamps.
I'll square them up and paint them first.

P6020029_1.JPGP6020031_1.JPG

I also 3 computer desks that would make awesome work benches but I just don't have the space.
The space between those 2 doors is right at 48".
The door on the left goes into a big bathroom with a garden tub. That's all fine and good if you have a lover to share it with. (just trust me on that one ... wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean, say no more eh).
The door on the right is a walk closet full of stuff already.

I'll see how this post with these pics comes out before mentioning further.
THANK YOU GUYS for reminding me I had a drop light - so to speak.
E.

Think I'll set my camera back to HD mode for pics.
Now.... if I can just remember how to do that......
E

Afternoon All,

Today I got the ground cover down behind where the bridge will be. In the picture it is still wet. I was also going to do the first pour in my lake and I noticed 4 small holes from where I had trees previously. So I plugged the holes and after it dried I painted over them and I will do the first pour tomorrow. Also tomorrow I plan on putting the bridge in place.

Terry- Good news about your stuff.

Garry- Yes we have Sunrail (commuter) that runs from DeLand to southern Orlando. It does not run on weekends or late at night. There is also talk of a Maglev train between Orlando and Miami in the next couple of years (private funding). Our family rode Sunrail one time. The problem is the majority of the stations are in the boonies so you are stuck if you get off and don't have a car available. We called a cab when we rode and it took 45 minutes to show up.

David- Sounds like you need a new sewing machine.

20150602_134043_zpsixi7u1f0.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon ballast tampers & spike setters,
Hi Fracine, I'll just have some coffee, thanks.

It's been a bit cooler today but still a bit warm too.

Curt, You said:
David- Sounds like you need a new sewing machine.

LoL, I think you meant washing machine. No, I did a bit of checking and it seems there is what called a, 'waxing motor' that may be the problem or a couple of other possibilities as well it could be as simple as a broken or bad connection? Now when I tightened the belt I didn't try and get it drum tight but it seems to agitate just fine but then it did that before too.

Curt, your layout is looking very good, I'm jealous about how fast it's gone up for you!
I just hope you don't start having problems with any kinking due to soldering most or all the joints. If you do you'll need to separate at least one rail from a joint or two and file or grind the rail back at least a 1/32" or a bit more from that one rail and leave the joint unsoldered on that rail so it can move in and out to compensate for expansion and contraction. Lets hope you won't have that problem but if you do that is a somewhat easy fix. So that you don't have to actually lift up any track in attempting to slip one side out of the rail joiner, as you heat it up to melt the solder use something like a small piece of wood to push the joiner back far enough so the one rail can be moved a bit to either be cut with a razor saw or use your Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel but that will require you to lift the rail up a bit.

Good evening all!

Terry, great news on your "postal incident"! On the engine , if it were anything but an N&W J, I might be interested. I must be the only guy on the east coast that feels this way, but it doesn't thrill me. Got any EM-1s?

Big E, computer tables can be great work stations!

Workbench 004.jpg

Lots of work space

Workbench 010.jpg

A piece of tempered glass protects kit instruction from spilled glue and pant, plus also provides a flat smooth surface

Workbench 014.jpg

Plenty of cubbies for storage of "stuff"

Workbench 020.jpg

And the keyboard drawer can hold tool out of the way!!!!:cool:

Lamps are swing arm desk lamps found at a yard sale, and one lighted magnifier. :cool:

I did switch to daylight CFLs. 3 100 watt bulbs were a little too intense at close range!

Good evening all!

Terry, great news on your "postal incident"! On the engine , if it were anything but an N&W J, I might be interested. I must be the only guy on the east coast that feels this way, but it doesn't thrill me. Got any EM-1s?!
Yes, I do. It will be part of the culling. Road #7600, DCC and sound.

563CE052-D4EE-47E3-9F0B-47F70740CC64.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That was suggested by co-worker. There just happens to be tree directly behind the mailbox. A deer camera costs about what a PO box does for a year. So, do I want to pay the money to esure nothing gets stolen, or have pictures of the thief, rather than the item?

That was the alternate post I had in mind, P.O. box 'action mode' would be less trouble in the long run, let em steal the junkmail. lol

Good morning. Where's the coffee.

Terry - Nice locomotive. How well does it pull?

Curt - looks like you're really making progress. I may take a walk down stairs some time and take a quick peek at my layout just to see if it's still there. Haven't seen it in weeks.

Karl - You're just way too organized. Being in the middle of my flooring project, the room I have my workbench (which is stacked with so many projects that you can't see the table surface) had baseboards and trim pieces in it along with other various things.

Good morning, we have 57 and light rain, clouds. I overslept some today, no birds singing in the window to wake me up!!

Karl--awesome work space!

Curt--Really nice looking layout!

Sherrel, I remember June Gloom all too well.
Chet, it runs very good, and pulls pretty good. It would pull better if it weighed more, but it pulls 25 Kadee 40 footers with no trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9CSjndfCUI

I really like articulated locomotives but really can't justify one on my layout so I really haven't looked at any. My old brass Z-5 Yellowstome could probably pull tree stumps. Years back when I was helping the Great Falls Model Railroad Club, we had it pulling 116 freight cars on level track. It probably could have pulled more, but we ran out of freight cars. All the members helping hadn't arrived when we had to break down the train and get ready for the open house.

Back