Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

I agree with Sherrel and with the other comments. AWESOME !

Chet- If your rehab of the house is done in time , do you plan to go back to Daytona for the July race??

Phil

I don't think there's a chance in the world. Just too much work to be done even with hiring out the work for the bathrooms. Maybe Talledega for the fall race, but even that's in doubt right now.

Thanks for the comments about the ore cars and the Baldwin switcher. ... My steel mill acquired also acquire two other used Baldwins, but these are former S P locomotives.

You can see all three at work below. Also, if you look in the blast furnace you can see some flames. (This is an older photo before I adding the yellow railings to the blast furnace.)

blafur9210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't think so , but one never knows till one asks.

On the MR forum is a fine modeler know as "Bridge Tom" also as "CAT Tom" his motto is-YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH ARTICULATED ENGINES. Has a heck of a layout. Includes a wood trestle about six feet long.

Phil

Damn!! After looking at all your photo's , think I'll put my trains away and hide in the corner.
Phil

Phil .... Now that your cancer is over with, I thought I would tell a joke. .... There is one good thing about your surgery in which part of the the colon was removed. It will help you with punctuation when you type on the computer. .. You now have a semi-colon. :D

Didn't think so , but one never knows till one asks.

On the MR forum is a fine modeler know as "Bridge Tom" also as "CAT Tom" his motto is-YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH ARTICULATED ENGINES. Has a heck of a layout. Includes a wood trestle about six feet long.

Phil

Way way back a long time ago I was probably in the same frame of mind. I had just picked up my first articulated, the NP Z-5 Yellowatone and was on the hunt for more. This was before I had the plan for my layout finalized and then the light bulb came on. I didn't "need" any because it was going to be a short line/branch line railroad and 90 foot turntables wouldn't handle the locomotives. A Challenger wouldn't make a good switcher for small industries set in a rural setting. Look at all the $$$$ I saved. ;) I did end up with one more brass Challenger which I custom painted for the NP, but common sense finally set in.

More fantastic photos from Garry - Bravo ;)

I just weathered 11 ore cars in the past few days, and now all of my ore cars are weathered.
Steel mill equipment can be very dirty as well as ore cars.

In the first photo, you can see a grubby patched switcher shoving ore cars to the high line behind the blast furnace. The two ore cars closest to the switcher were among the 11 ore cars I just weathered. Also, there is much activity in the background.

ore%20cars%202_zps8rwzhupd.jpg

In the second photo are some ore cars in front of the blast furnace. The three NP ore cars were among the eleven I just weathered.

ore%20cars%203_zps8jdybj8p.jpg

Say Garry, All of your work looks very good. The smelting structure looks to be fairly large, what are it demensions. Also do the tracks make a U behind it, and are they an 18" radius? Are you also going to have some sort of foundry to go along with the smelter plant?

Thanks for the comments about the ore cars and the Baldwin switcher. ... My steel mill acquired also acquire two other used Baldwins, but these are former S P locomotives.

You can see all three at work below. Also, if you look in the blast furnace you can see some flames. (This is an older photo before I adding the yellow railings to the blast furnace.)

blafur9210.jpg

The Baldwin switchers look very interesting too as well as the weathered Hoppers with their loads. Do you use some scrap foam to fill the main area of the hopper first and then add the upper section to appear as you want and cover it with Ore?

I was thinking that an easy way to add some removable weight to the bottom of the hoppers or gons' would be to place one layer of a thin plastic bag, such as a vegetable bag from the market, over the car and carefully depress it into cavity and then pour in a bit of Hydrocal to the desired thickness and when dry foam could be glued on top of it to the desired height and covered with whatever Ore you wanted to use. Maybe even a couple of different types as though a mixture of metal types was required and being smeleted.

Damn!! After looking at all your photo's , think I'll put my trains away and hide in the corner.
Phil

Phil, I'm sure your better than you think! It just requires you to get-in-there and make an effort and see how it turns out. I made some halacious goofs in the past using Floquil weathering paste and not thinning it down first so now about all I can do is to repaint the car and it's a reffer yellow and I think the Floquil I have/had is dried up. I sure wish they didn't close down their operation. I'm not partial to their water based paint although it alright.

Speaking of that, with a water based paint if it doesn't seem to be turning out as you want and it hasn't dried too much you can wash it off with some hot/dwarm water I believe.

We all had to start somewhere and I know I'm no artist.

David ... Thanks for commenting..... There are two different kinds of ore loads in my ore cars. Some are the commercially made ones by Chooch. The others are humped shape foam rubber pieces which I spray painted with iron oxide (or mineral red) color. The foam rubber ones don't look as good but are more affordable. ....

The large structure is the blast furnace, and is one of the four Walthers steel mill kits. Behind are the Walthers electric furnace and the Walther rolling mill. The rolling mill was two kits which I built end-to-end. I have the Walthers Coke Oven too and it is located up the line from the three kits in these photos. Curves are very sharp as would be typical in a real steel mill.

Below is the electric furnace on the left and the rolling mill on the right. The electric furnace has interior details which can be viewed with a wall which is removable.

steelmillA003.jpg

Evening All,

Getting here late because we went out for supper with my Mom & Dad. Earlier today I did about 3 hours of putting in ground cover. A good part of it was on a step stool stretched out as far as I could. Tomorrow and Sunday we are painting the exterior of daughters house.

Garry- That is awesome modeling.

20150605_124939_zps5xhlijyu.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Had to shut down as storms came rumbling in and stayed. Finally got some decent rain.

ERIC- You have done and are doing some darn fine work. DO NOT sell yourself short. I almost flunked Art in school. I don't solder. Tried, almost burned a hole in a diesel loco. My pike is named-BARE BONES RR. Wouldn't be nice to be named BARE-ASS RR. Track is nailed to the shelves , no ballast no scenery. You have a talent so use it.

As I told GARRY, I am missing the artistic gene in my DNA.

See you all tomorrow. Goodnight!
Phil

Roger that Phil. I am my worst critic. I admit that. I won't give up.
First time Carey was here, I guess I was kind of talking down on my layout and he just kind of dropped his arms and looks at me says "Hey, do you like it?" I said something to the effect I suppose so, it's fun to play around with.
He says "Then, that's all that matters. Don't worry about what me or anyone else thinks - ever."
"Now, let's run some trains and show me where your trouble spots are."
And we proceeded to fix my track issues. Little to no problems since.

I suppose he's right. If I like it and makes me happy, then who cares what anyone else thinks. True to myself, I won't stop improving - on anything. The mind especially.

As to that missing artistic gene, I wouldn't say mine is missing per se. I just can't seem to keep hold of it. I met my first girl friend in art class in 7th grade (circa 69 or 70). She sat next to me. Our next class was music class and she sat next to me there as well. We were both new kids in school there back then. Wonder what ever happened with her.

My Marine buddy comes over about every day to see what I'm up to. Some days I'm throwing down on some piano, flying helicopters, doing some advanced mathematics, anything. Recently it has become learning to fly my quad-copter. It has not been easy to learn.

Going to get into the low 60s tonight here. Up to 90 tomorrow.
Shouldn't have drank that brandy and vodka with my neighbor earlier.
I'm just a beer and whiskey guy really. Mostly just beer.
Ordered a pizza (around 1400 hours) ate most of that and went back to bed.
I don't sleep all that well so I'm happy to have it when it comes.
Catch you all tomorrow some time.
E.

Eric,

Been there done that ... then learnt that it doesn't matter what someone else has or what someone else thinks. As Carey told you, if you like it and it is fun, that is all that matters! It ISN'T the size of the layout or the realism of it's operation that matters - it is whether or not YOU like it, and if you do - then who gives a rats butt what anyone thinks.

You also have to consider this, not everyone knows everything about everything, we all have our "specialties" when it comes to modelling. Some are brilliant on laying track, wiring, scenery, painting etc BUT I defy anyone to say they are great at everything and don't need advise/help with some aspect of modelling a layout.

Hell, you have talents in areas that others don't, and they show with what you have achieved. I have had my layout in place for almost a year and still haven't figured out the wiring of it properly. Don't be so hard on yourself - always strive to improve and to achieve more BUT never be NEVER compare what you do or have with anyone else ... you'll go crazy if you do and never be satisfied with your own work, abilities and achievements.

Here's an example ... this afternoon my wife's half brother was visiting and he said he wanted to have an under the tree layout, indicating that he wanted something around the size of HO Scale. My ears pricked up and I gave him a few bits and pieces to get him going. While I was digging out some stuff, he was looking at my layout (which is currently a disaster and not fit for human observance) but you know what, he thought it was amazing!

Point being, I think my layout is a mess (and it is) BUT someone else thought it was amazing. Lets face it mate, no matter what you have, someone else is going to have bigger and better; HOWEVER, others are going to have something that is not as big or as good ...

Good evening. 63*F, clear and calm here in central MD.

Thanks everybody for the kind comments about my PS2 hopper. Unfortunately I can't run it on my layout since it's ~20 years beyond my B&O era; I was modeling CSX at the time I did it.

Garry - your steel mill photos are fantastic! Makes me want to hurry and finish the scenery on my mill so I can start shooting pix of it.

Curt - your newly-applied foilage is looking really good, definitely has a Western Pennsylvania 'feel' to it!

I just returned from an op session at some guy's house in Waynesboro, PA, about a 90-minute drive from where I live. His modeling tastes are quite a bit different from mine - his motive power roster is all geared steam [Shays, Heislers and Climaxes] - but I still had fun operating on it. I also saw a number of friends there who I normally only see at the Timonium shows. I'm glad I went, doing so recharged my enthusiasm "batteries".

Gotta run, I really shouldn't be staying up this late - it screws up my bio-clock!

Tony, I'll be happy to come help with wiring.
That's a no-brainer for me.
Get me a bus ticket. I'm all in. I'm happy to help if I can.
E.

Back