Running Bear's Coffee Shop L

In other news, I boxed up a BLI M1a and BLI GS4, and sent them in for repair. One has a quartering issue, and an intermittent headlight. The other one runs great, but doesn't chuff. I want to get them taken care of before the warranty runs out.

TERRY. Really glad that your issues with the mail delivery were solved.
When I read you initial post about the "missing items" .. My stomach went knotty!

Out here USPS, UPS, and FEDEX all drop stuff off at the front door .. LOTS of theft going on.

Good morning.

Speaking of articulated locos, I admire the NP Challenger, but I don't have one. The only articulated operating on my layout is a small 2-6-6-2 representing similar locomotives which operated on the Deadwood branch of the CB&Q in Southwestern South Dakota. That engine is the Mantua 2-6-6-2 with tender. ..... On my display shelves, I have some old AHM articulated locos plus one brass model of a small 2-4-4-2 logging loco.

Most of the locomotives operating on my layout are CB&Q, GN, and NP from the mid-1940's to the mid-1960's.

I'm still weathering freight cars. Last night, I weathered 5 ore cars. That leaves 6 ore cars not yet weathered, and I will do them soon.

Looks like it wants to rain out there today.
Only 60% chance say the "weather guessers".

Since Garry mentioned weathering, I'll toss this out.
Here is the sand bin for my sanding facility. The paint is a "earth red" from Model Masters acrylic (FS30117) - brushed on, not sprayed. I need/want to "dirty/weather" it. Any suggestions?
I was thinking to do a simple "antique wash" with some black paint heavily thinned down
P6030029.JPG

I made this handy little paint pen and brush holder this morning.
It replaces that bright orange cup in the background above.
P6030028.JPG

E.

Good morning.

Speaking of articulated locos, I admire the NP Challenger, but I don't have one. The only articulated operating on my layout is a small 2-6-6-2 representing similar locomotives which operated on the Deadwood branch of the CB&Q in Southwestern South Dakota. That engine is the Mantua 2-6-6-2 with tender. ..... On my display shelves, I have some old AHM articulated locos plus one brass model of a small 2-4-4-2 logging loco.

Most of the locomotives operating on my layout are CB&Q, GN, and NP from the mid-1940's to the mid-1960's.

I'm still weathering freight cars. Last night, I weathered 5 ore cars. That leaves 6 ore cars not yet weathered, and I will do them soon.

Went down to the train room for the first time in weeks. Said hello and took a picture of one of my NP Challengers.

IMAG0408.jpg

This is an Old Old Riverossi that started out as a Union Pacific with the smoke deflectors. They were removed as was the second smoke stack and a few details were added and it was repainted. Unfortunately it is not the best running locomotive. I had to put extra pickups on the leading and trailing trucks to make it run properly. No tender pick ups at all. My brass version is put away and due to remodeling, it would be extremely difficult to get it at the moment. It weighs a ton as does the Z-5 Yellowstone and could probably rip out tree stumps. This one sits on a shelf for display as it is too long for any of my turntables. Occasionally I'll put a few cars behind it and let it run for a while to keep things lubricated.

Thanks Garry, I got to see my train room again.

Evening All,

Grilled pork steaks tonight. I accomplished a lot on the layout today. I permanently mounted the bridge and ran a steamer over it without issue. Last night I did my first pour in the lake and today I did a second pour. I figure I have 2 more pours. I will post a pic next week when it is done. The last pour will be after I receive the ducks I ordered (MOH wanted them). And last but not least is that the turnout I was waiting on came in, so I installed it. Tomorrow I plan on soldering the track in the siding and solder power leads to the 3 tracks.

Montanan- I would love to have a NW Y6 but I just don't see it happening. It is really big for the layout and costs way too much.

David- Knock on wood, in around 5 years I have never had a kinking issue. The layout is in my house so it is climate controlled. I have learned an expensive lesson in the past to not solder T/O's.

BigE- I would use weathering powders.

20150603_131823_zps97p9a0sh.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thanks New Guy, That should be interesting. Is it Steam or Diesel?

Diesel, just west of Turner, north of "Old Town" in Lansing Mich. I will try to get a better description and some shots if "she who must be obeyed" will cough up the camera. lol

It's in its box, ready for a new home.
This, the J, several Athearn locomotives, even a Bachmann DCC on board GP40 are some of what will be leaving as soon as I find new homes for them.

Terry,,,,um,,you're not thinking of leaving us are you??:confused:

Big E,, keep your ohhhs and ahhhs to yerself,,,I saw her 1st!!!:p

Terry,,,,um,,you're not thinking of leaving us are you??:confused:

Big E,, keep your ohhhs and ahhhs to yerself,,,I saw her 1st!!!:p
Karl, not thinking of leaving. If something sits on a shelf without being used, ir's time to trade it or sell it, and get something I will use.
The EM1 is my only B&O steam engine, and the last time I ran it was last July.
The same with the diesels, I have a silent Atlas GP38 in ATSF that was the running mate to the one Eric now has. I haven't run that one since his engine left, so it might as well go.

Karl, not thinking of leaving. If something sits on a shelf without being used, ir's time to trade it or sell it, and get something I will use.
The EM1 is my only B&O steam engine, and the last time I ran it was last July.
The same with the diesels, I have a silent Atlas GP38 in ATSF that was the running mate to the one Eric now has. I haven't run that one since his engine left, so it might as well go.

And, if your others are like the one I got, I'll happily vouch for them. That one I got is super quiet and super smooth even on step 1 - even the cat doesn't hear it.
E

And, if your others are like the one I got, I'll happily vouch for them. That one I got is super quiet and super smooth even on step 1 - even the cat doesn't hear it.
E
It runs very well, but the factory installed Lenz decoder buzzes a bit.
I just rifled through my stuff, and there is a pair of Athearn RTR SD40s in ATSF, an Athearn RTR GP40X in HLCX, Genesis SD70M in EMDX leasing, Athearn RTR GP35 in MRL, Athearn RTR SD45 in B&P, an Athearn SD40 in MPI leasing, a Proto GP30 in ATSF Kodchrome, an Atlas B23-7 in ATSF Kodachrome, and a BLI heavy Mikado in SOU. The Mikado has sound, all the others are silent DCC.

It runs very well, but the factory installed Lenz decoder buzzes a bit.
I just rifled through my stuff, and there is a pair of Athearn RTR SD40s in ATSF, an Athearn RTR GP40X in HLCX, Genesis SD70M in EMDX leasing, Athearn RTR GP35 in MRL, Athearn RTR SD45 in B&P, an Athearn SD40 in MPI leasing, a Proto GP30 in ATSF Kodchrome, an Atlas B23-7 in ATSF Kodachrome, and a BLI heavy Mikado in SOU. The Mikado has sound, all the others are silent DCC.

I have an old B23-7 in Chessie colors I would love to put a decoder in so I can run it.
E

Good morning.

Speaking of articulated locos, On my display shelves, I have some old AHM articulated locos plus one brass model of a small 2-4-4-2 logging loco.

I sure like the little 2-4-4-2 logging loco's Had a chance to by one many years back but decided against it but bought the old Mack Rail bus.

I have a Sam Hongsa Brass 2-8-2 which is highly detailed but all drivers are flanged and at least some of my radius's are too tight for it. It ran very smooth, then I decided to take the boiler and cab off it and when attempting to put it back to gether lost a small screw that olds the cab in place and now the armature only seems to want to turn a portion of a revolution so maybe the screw is stuck to the Armature?

I'm try to determine it value once I get it to run again. LoL

Sounds like the screw is stuck between the armature and one of the magnets. If it is, then if you can get it out without damaging the armature windings, you can count yourself lucky that it at least didn't get lost :rolleyes:

Back